Author Topic: -5  (Read 3316 times)

Sugar Dick

« on: September 19, 2010, 08:28:13 PM »
 :facepalm:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: -5
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 09:15:41 PM »
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »
get used to it.  we win ugly.  but hey, 2-0 ATS vs D-1 teams.  let vegas keep posting em low.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »
get used to it.  we win ugly.  but hey, 2-0 ATS vs D-1 teams.  let vegas keep posting em low.
[/quote

Christ, a classic jinx..  :runaway:][ftp] :runaway:[/ftp]
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 10:51:11 PM »
This line opened at -6 and has dropped steadily... I've seen it as low as -4 already.

:users:
bears are fast...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »
Take Central Florida bros

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 08:08:50 AM »
Tell yourself, "How much money would I pay to guarantee K-State a win?"  Then bet that amount of money on UCF.  Either you paid that much money for a win, or you win money.  Win/Win situation.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
Tell yourself, "How much money would I pay to guarantee K-State a win?"  Then bet that amount of money on UCF.  Either you paid that much money for a win, or you win money.  Win/Win situation.
Sound logic if you have money to burn.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »

Yeah, my only gambling rule is to not bet on K-State no matter what. 

Sugar Dick

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
uk -21.5 against NMSU.   :party:

Money line for CFU is 200  ;)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 11:05:44 AM »

And if K-State wins but doesn't cover, then you win both. I feel the "fan's hedge" is underutilized.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 11:48:45 AM »
This is a bet I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole. 

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 12:00:29 PM »

Take that pole, put a paddle on it and give it to your uncle.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »

pffffffffftttt

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »

:surprised:   :lol:

Nominated for post of the century right here folks.

Sugar Dick

Re: -7
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 11:26:41 AM »
Wish I knew how to change the thread title.

Anyways, Vegas and the general public love the Cats

:ksu:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/central-florida

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »

cmon man why do you have to be so cruel, you know that it was the 2,137,832 worst natural disastur in history right???

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »

And if K-State wins but doesn't cover, then you win both. I feel the "fan's hedge" is underutilized.

i do it all the time. though i read an article about this, most fans still don't end up happy in this "win/win" situation.  either the money wasn't enough to comfort the loss or the win wasn't enough to justify the money spent.  its pretty much true.   i think it works better when you bet on a rival.  I.E. I enjoyed losing a good chunk of change on kansas' loss to UNI last march.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:21 PM »
P.S. line at 7 now.  prob stay there. 

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:20 PM »

i do it all the time. though i read an article about this, most fans still don't end up happy in this "win/win" situation.  either the money wasn't enough to comfort the loss or the win wasn't enough to justify the money spent.  its pretty much true.   i think it works better when you bet on a rival.  I.E. I enjoyed losing a good chunk of change on kansas' loss to UNI last march.

That's why you have to decide how much you would pay for a win.  It's not the idea's fault that the people who bet 100$ are pissed off when they are the ones who made the bet for that exact reason.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 01:03:33 AM »

That's why you have to decide how much you would pay for a win.  It's not the idea's fault that the people who bet 100$ are pissed off when they are the ones who made the bet for that exact reason.

Yeah, fault lies in fans' inability to properly value a win.  My guess is that people who did poorly in economics are usually the ones who wind up unsatisfied.

Although...games like this week's are tough to value, even moreso games like LaLa last year. You don't want to pay that much for a win, but a loss still really sucks. Works better if you're a narrow favorite over a good team in a meaningful game.

As I understand it, you can't really use it for games like Nebraska is apt to be this year (K-State as underdog), because the "lose-lose" scenario is in play: lose the game, but beat the spread and lost the money, too.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »

Yeah, fault lies in fans' inability to properly value a win.  My guess is that people who did poorly in economics are usually the ones who wind up unsatisfied.

Although...games like this week's are tough to value, even moreso games like LaLa last year. You don't want to pay that much for a win, but a loss still really sucks. Works better if you're a narrow favorite over a good team in a meaningful game.

As I understand it, you can't really use it for games like Nebraska is apt to be this year (K-State as underdog), because the "lose-lose" scenario is in play: lose the game, but beat the spread and lost the money, too.

Yeah, I usually only use it when we are the favorites but I feel bad about our chances and I tease the line to even.  That way there is no push.  Also, I'll put a bet on it if we are a dog by like 3 points and tease it to even as 3 points doesn't change the odds THAT much.  But like if I were to get in on this week's action (which I'm not)  I'd tease the line from -7 to even, then if UCF wins and I put down 100, I'd win probably like 150.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »

very difficult to do.  i mean, if I was of gambling age in 1998, I dont think there is any reasonable sum of money that would have comforted that loss.  likewise though, if KSU is playing for the national title in football/basketball its probably entire bankroll, perhaps even lifesavings worthy for a diehard K-Stater given our history but man, your life savings! I've found the easiest way to figure it out is to find the amount it would take for you to root against K-State winning a game.  I just about crossed that line in the Big 12 tournament champ game against kansas last march.  I was feeling relieved we lost because of the money on the line.  I didn't care for that feeling.  This year I've set a limit on what i'm willing to risk on a KSU win so i never come close to rooting against KSU.   

As for your other situation, I roll with ML's when we are dogs.  Eliminates lose/lose.  Since the idea is you want to lose money, you look at it more from what you want to lose rather than win so ML's work fine.  we'll likely be a 7 pt dog at home (think similar to the bama-ark game this weekend) which would translate to -270 or so on the Nebr ML.  (Lay $270 on Nebraska to win $100 for those that don't know ML's).  Makes it easy to value it.  Is the nebraska win worth losing $100? $200? with so much season left and thus so many variables to what our season could still be, you can't value it super high.  Its mostly about one last shot at nebraska before they leave which is worth a good amount.  Just depends on your financial situation more than anything.