Author Topic: Nebraska's defense  (Read 1689 times)

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Nebraska's defense
« on: September 18, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
Haven't really paid much attention to teams outside of the emaws lately, but I caught a few of the NU vs WU game.  I was curious if their defense was going to be good again or if last year was a flukish product of having a few outstanding players (Suh being the primary focus.)  It looks like they will be.

Wasn't it only 3-4 years ago their defense was absolutely horrible and Cosgrove was in danger of being lynched?  What's changed to make them so much better so quickly?  If your answer is better athletes, then an additional question: If Callahan/Cosgrove were still coaches would the defense be as good with these same players?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen off the air.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Nebraska's defense
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
Their defense in Callahan's last year was ranked over 100.

They do give up some big plays from time to time, and are suspect in some areas, but they have a lot of good athletes who can make plays.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:31 PM »
They are going to rape us
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Huskerpride

• Corn Hole'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »
Pelini took the 116th ranked defense and in his first year took them to a ranking of 55th. With the players from the horrid defenses. Coaching em up to the #1 defense last year. Still a few of the 07 players as well.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:12:27 PM by Huskerpride »

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
Pelini took the 116th ranked defense and in his first year took them to a ranking of 55th. With the players from the horrid defenses. Coaching em up to the #1 defense last year. Still a few of the 07 players as well.
So do you think it's the better athletes?  The better coaching?  The better schemes?  Something in between?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 05:18:38 PM »
They're pretty good and it sucks

Offline Huskerpride

• Corn Hole'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
Considering the jump in the first year in the ranking with the athletes from the 07 team. I would say it's schemes but more importantly it's the coaching. Pelini has brought in better athletes as well. In 09 Pelini red shirted 15+ freshman defensive players. The defense you see today is the result of the 3rd year in the system and the influx of the redshirts with that extra year of coaching.

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
Considering the jump in the first year in the ranking with the athletes from the 07 team. I would say it's schemes but more importantly it's the coaching. Pelini has brought in better athletes as well. In 09 Pelini red shirted 15+ freshman defensive players. The defense you see today is the result of the 3rd year in the system and the influx of the redshirts with that extra year of coaching.
Bummer.  I was hoping you guys would hire another turd for a coach. 

Then again, Callahan recruited pretty well, so I was expecting whoever followed him to have early success.

I'm going to miss hating on the 'skers after this season.  Sure, I could do it from a distance, but without the annual matchup it just won't be the same.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
Bunch of pussies.  For the most part.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
Nebraska's 2006 Recruiting class was ranked 20th by rivals,  their 2007 recruiting class was ranked 13th by Rivals.  

Offline Huskerpride

• Corn Hole'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 05:34:08 PM »
Nebraska's 2006 Recruiting class was ranked 20th by rivals,  their 2007 recruiting class was ranked 13th by Rivals.  

Those classes were offensive heavy. Plus it didn't help to have Cosgrove as our defensive coach. Watch Minnesota and see their ineptness with Cosgrove as their coach.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 05:37:06 PM »
That's not really the point.  I told all the hyperdefensive Cornhole fans that Kevin Cosgrove was way past his prime when they hired him.

Just don't live the lie that somehow Bo Pelini walked into a situation where there was no talent around on the roster. 

Offline Huskerpride

• Corn Hole'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 05:51:35 PM »
That's not really the point.  I told all the hyperdefensive Cornhole fans that Kevin Cosgrove was way past his prime when they hired him.

Just don't live the lie that somehow Bo Pelini walked into a situation where there was no talent around on the roster. 
Man you're confrontational. I'm not living any lie. There was talent, but they recruited more offensive heavy. Cosgrove couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. Pelini turned 3* guys into 4* guys and some 5*.

Offline WildCatzPhreak

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
WHOA GUYS.  THIS THREAD IS GETTING WAY OUT OF HAND!!!

MODS!! LOCK THIS crap UP QUICKLIKE!

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
If you guys don't chill out I am going to have to lock this thread.