Author Topic: carson meter  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
carson meter
« on: September 10, 2010, 11:34:45 AM »
current- very avg first game. looked light years ahead of his backup. overall did not win the game and did not lose the game. grade 6.5/10.

future- predicto for queso this game against mo st.  is for him to somewhat breakout. over 200 passing yards and a couple of tds.

thoughts? opinions? agree/disagree?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Lynch

• Fan
  • KSUftw smells like salty peanuts.
    • View Profile
Re: carson meter
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 11:37:22 AM »
What I would like to see out of him:
1. No turnovers
2. Take no sacks outside the tackles
3. Make smart throws
4. Put us in a position to succeed

I don't think that's too much to ask.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »
Like I said, for the season if he can even come close to Brian Kav's numbers, we'll likely win 6 or 7 games.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 11:47:56 AM »
I would really like to see Carsy throw the ball 25 times vs Mazzu.  I think it's imperative for him going into Farmageddon II to have some success and rhythm throwing the ball.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:51:39 AM »
I would really like to see Carsy throw the ball 25 times vs Mazzu.  I think it's imperative for him going into Farmageddon II to have some success and rhythm throwing the ball.

yeah. me too. you think he'll "go deep" once or twice?  :dunno:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
Really need to get his passing yds in the 150 range.  Gotta exploit scrubs to maintain the illusion for the rest of the conf that Carsy actually can throw the ball.  Makes DT's job easier for our first few conf games.  After that, the illusion is toast anyway.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

his stop and go with Brod was a thing of beauty. Need to try that again.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:55 AM »

his stop and go with Brod was a thing of beauty. Need to try that again.

he does throw a "good looking" long ball. that one was just a little off. hopefully we can all see some more of that this weekend.  :crossfingers:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 12:17:12 PM »
My biggest complaints from game one for Carson were a) a few of the sacks he took and b) his yards per attempt. 

If you look at his rushing yardage without sacks, he had 7 carries for 29 yards, that's very respectable given his athleticism.  I could even deal with a couple sacks b/c that's going to happen, but 2-3 he safely could've gotten rid of the ball.

And 3.8 yards per attempt is terrible.  Part of that is UCLA didn't allow any short throws to turn into big plays, and part of it was we couldn't complete any down the field passes, nor did we attempt many.  That said, that number needs to be at least doubled (8-9 YPA is respectable), especially against an opponent like Mizz State.

If Coffman can come away with around 4 YPC (rushing attempts, not including sacks), 8-9 YPA throwing, 55% or better completions, and have no TOs (fumbles or INTs) then I'll be satisfied with his performance.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 12:22:06 PM »
My biggest complaints from game one for Carson were a) a few of the sacks he took and b) his yards per attempt. 

If you look at his rushing yardage without sacks, he had 7 carries for 29 yards, that's very respectable given his athleticism.  I could even deal with a couple sacks b/c that's going to happen, but 2-3 he safely could've gotten rid of the ball.

And 3.8 yards per attempt is terrible.  Part of that is UCLA didn't allow any short throws to turn into big plays, and part of it was we couldn't complete any down the field passes, nor did we attempt many.  That said, that number needs to be at least doubled (8-9 YPA is respectable), especially against an opponent like Mizz State.

If Coffman can come away with around 4 YPC (rushing attempts, not including sacks), 8-9 YPA throwing, 55% or better completions, and have no TOs (fumbles or INTs) then I'll be satisfied with his performance.

do you think he will do THAT this game*?/

i do. part of it was first game of the year opening up the offense stuff. part was play calling. part was staff not wanting him to f up. part was him not wanting to f up. part was not needing to pass much given the way the game Played out*. anyway, this is about predictos. what do you think will HAPPEN this Weekend?%

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 12:24:16 PM »

i do. part of it was first game of the year opening up the offense stuff. part was play calling. part was staff not wanting him to f up. part was him not wanting to f up. part was not needing to pass much given the way the game Played out*. anyway, this is about predictos. what do you think will HAPPEN this Weekend?%

YPC, YPA, completion % - yes.  Probably will have 1 TO though (INT), but 2-3 TDs throwing will offset that.  Overall I'm expecting a solid A- for Coffman this weekend.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »

YPC, YPA, completion % - yes.  Probably will have 1 TO though (INT), but 2-3 TDs throwing will offset that.  Overall I'm expecting a solid A- for Coffman this weekend.

yeah. i think he'll pour a big mug of queso flavored hatorade all of these haters this weekend too. wish i could be there to throw up my queso hand signs and squirt queso out of my queso gun into the stands. bring the tortilla chips fellas. gonna be a long day.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 12:32:51 PM »
yeah. i think he'll pour a big mug of queso flavored hatorade all of these haters this weekend too. wish i could be there to throw up my queso hand signs and squirt queso out of my queso gun into the stands. bring the tortilla chips fellas. gonna be a long day.

Daris, can you please quit making the rest of us look pathetic with your incredible posting.  Thanks.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:59 PM »
I say he will have 250 yards + passing.  There will be lots of YAC (yards after catch).  He will throw at least 3 TD's and maybe run for another.  I don't see any Turn overs this week but maybe 1 INT.  This is a good game to pad some stats.

Offline Berries and Cream

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
It would be nice to see Carson throw a few deep. He was a little off on the pass to Brod, but it looked nice in the air.

However, I don't mind the YPA so much. Sure, we want last week's number to improve, but with our receivers we should be throwing a lot of screens and unders. None of those broke long like we'd like to see, but the occasional tackle right at the catch for a short gain is to be expected. With Tramaine, Brod, and CH I don't mind seeing Snyder call those kinds of plays or Carson checking down quite a bit and seeing what the WR can do with the ball. Not to mention DT who has really developed into a good passing RB.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:07 PM »
I bet he still sucks (subjectively).

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
There will be lots of YAC

There was apparently a lot of YAC going on last game too!!!

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
The only thing I really want to change for Carson is the yards per attempt. We threw too many dump offs and slants. I would like to see him throw the 15 yard out routes and deep passes to keep the linebackers and defensive backs from jamming the box. We need to be able to throw effectively enough to give DT some room.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
There will be lots of YAC

There was apparently a lot of YAC going on last game too!!!

Yes there was.

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 01:13:16 PM »
Any sort of confidence Carsy can build will be a  :pbj:.  Even if it's 5 yd routes w/ a lot of YAC.  Go get that swagger, Cars! :ksu:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »

Yes there was.

I think that dude is just doing yoga, trying to find his zen before the game

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 02:06:42 PM »
Hopefully we are winning by enough that Coffman doesn't need to play much of the second half. I can understand you guys wanting to see Coffman throw deeper passes, but keep in mind that UCLA has a damned good secondary (one of the 3 best we will see all year). Did you really want the weak link on our offense, Carson Coffman, to challenge those guys when Daniel Thomas was getting 8.3 ypc?

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 02:22:44 PM »
Hopefully we are winning by enough that Coffman doesn't need to play much of the second half. I can understand you guys wanting to see Coffman throw deeper passes, but keep in mind that UCLA has a damned good secondary (one of the 3 best we will see all year). Did you really want the weak link on our offense, Carson Coffman, to challenge those guys when Daniel Thomas was getting 8.3 ypc?

No, but if he can't complete a pass over 20 yards, then we aren't going to beat ISU or FCU.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »

Don't disagree with this too much, but 3.8 YPA and about 15 yards of losses in sacks were pretty bad, even if Coffman is just supposed to "manage the game".  JMHO.  We don't have to be throwing 20+ yard routes to increase that number, just find some better ways to complete intermediate routes.  

I will acknowledge that Snyder's system often requires WRs to run read routes much of the time, meaning they adjust their route to the type or coverage they see presnap and even as they are in their routes, which furthermore requires the WRs and QB to be on the same page at all times.  Having the inexperience at the WR position doesn't help with that, and its likely we cut down the use of read routes (or made mistakes running them) b/c of that, especially against the caliber of secondary we saw from UCLA.  

And I also hope Klein/Lamur get 1-1.5 quarters.

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »

Yes there was.

I think that dude is just doing yoga, trying to find his zen before the game

by "find his zen" do you mean "suck his own dick?"