Author Topic: Future schedule update...  (Read 109517 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Future schedule update...
« Reply #725 on: December 01, 2021, 07:19:44 PM »
i’ve never given a crap about starting on the road but it’s not too late for me to try to
Yes same but I’m already pissed about it now!! :curse:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 01, 2021, 07:22:49 PM »
With a 9-game conference schedule, it can matter. For example, KU also starts out on the road in the conference schedule and has to play 5 road games vs. 4 home games. Do they at least alternate years in which you have 4 vs. 5 home games? Obviously, I've never really cared.

Offline Cardiac Cats

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 01, 2021, 08:15:01 PM »
With a 9-game conference schedule, it can matter. For example, KU also starts out on the road in the conference schedule and has to play 5 road games vs. 4 home games. Do they at least alternate years in which you have 4 vs. 5 home games? Obviously, I've never really cared.

I don’t recall it ever not flipping back and forth every year from a conference schedule standpoint. Simply because it alternates H/A with every school each year. Maybe back when we had the North South divisions? 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 01, 2021, 08:35:21 PM »
I don’t understand what’s bad about the first conference game being a road game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 01, 2021, 09:23:38 PM »
i’ve never given a crap about starting on the road but it’s not too late for me to try to
Yes same but I’m already pissed about it now!! :curse:
Yeah let's get rough ridin' PISSED because this is BULLSHIT

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 01, 2021, 09:49:48 PM »

I don’t recall it ever not flipping back and forth every year from a conference schedule standpoint. Simply because it alternates H/A with every school each year. Maybe back when we had the North South divisions?

Yes the 4/5 home games alternate each year. When we had divisions there were only 8 conference games.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 01, 2021, 09:51:57 PM »
I don’t understand what’s bad about the first conference game being a road game.

Not a lot honestly. If you think momentum is a thing, then it matters some undefined, minute but mostly unmeasurable amount.

Offline Maccat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 02, 2021, 09:16:58 AM »
It is probably the BigXII trying to get back at us for winning the first ever BigXII game against Tech.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 02, 2021, 09:54:10 AM »
I like the first game being on the road. Early season losses don't matter as much as late season losses, and we are playing someone good, I like our odds of getting an upset early in the year a lot more than later, when we are banged up and our lack of depth is glaring.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 02, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
I like the first game being on the road. Early season losses don't matter as much as late season losses, and we are playing someone good, I like our odds of getting an upset early in the year a lot more than later, when we are banged up and our lack of depth is glaring.

In general yeah, my only peeve about it (and MiR discussed a bit) is how clearly lopsided it is. If over 25 years we started on the road let's say 15 times and home 10 times, even that would be "close enough" to even, but 5 times in 25 years? Just kinda insane. Not even close to even.

FTR I do like to think momentum matters, especially earlier in the season, getting into grooves helps, but probably statistically it doesn't so probably shouldn't really matter.

Side note on it all, looking it up it's interesting of those start at home instances 2 of them, the most recent, was Baylor, who we played at home for the first game.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 02, 2021, 11:13:52 AM »
I vaguely remember the cause of this when we had divisions was some Snyderism (don't remember specifics) and in order to get that the way he wanted we were willing to start on the road.  I don't remember if this was just message board chatter or if it was actually confirmed by a writer somewhere.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 02, 2021, 12:53:38 PM »

In general yeah, my only peeve about it (and MiR discussed a bit) is how clearly lopsided it is. If over 25 years we started on the road let's say 15 times and home 10 times, even that would be "close enough" to even, but 5 times in 25 years? Just kinda insane. Not even close to even.

If having the first conference game on the road isn't bad, and is arguably good, then there's nothing to be peeved about.  If fact, we should be happy about whatever cheyenne zulu-like manipulation we have going on in conference hq to get the benefit.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 02, 2021, 02:28:24 PM »
I don't think it makes a big difference but do think it would be nice more often to build excitement in the fanbase. 

Since we have to play OU on the road next year, I'll take it early in the season while they may still be working through some transitional challenges.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 02, 2021, 04:48:47 PM »

We're not in the CFP discussion, late vs. early season losses aren't a factor for us. Most programs need to build momentum.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 02, 2021, 04:58:43 PM »

If having the first conference game on the road isn't bad, and is arguably good, then there's nothing to be peeved about.  If fact, we should be happy about whatever cheyenne zulu-like manipulation we have going on in conference hq to get the benefit.

LOL, well that's a take. Let's give K-State the first game on the road, huge benefit and advantage for them.

I'm sure I've shared this story before, but I visited the Big 12 office back in like 2006. They shared how the schedules are made and there is a human element involved. Football operations input rules into a scheduling software system, rules like OU vs. UT the second week in week of October, team a gets 5 home games, etc. Then the software spits out thousands of schedules then the operations staff picks one. They consider other rules that they can't input in the software like no back to back road games in Texas for West Virginia.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 02, 2021, 09:07:03 PM »
In a season with 5 conference road games, it should be expected and maybe preferred to have the first one on the road, and not have 5 of the last 8 games be on the road.

I a season with only 4 conference road games, weird that game 1 would be on the road, but then you get 5 of your last 8 games at home.  Just 3 times during the critical 2 months of the season (and when weather is more relevant) that one has to travel!

I can't at all follow why it's bothersome to have the first conference game on the road.  And it's kind of loser-y to be bothered by it, as if a road game is too much to overcome.

And this all happens after a team's played 3 warm-up games, often all at home!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline KSNimrod

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 26, 2022, 01:49:28 PM »
Lame start times and crappy network selections... otherwise known as the conference "calming the waters".  Don't worry though, there will be tons of SEC and Big Ten games for everyone in the Midwest to watch.  LOL

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 26, 2022, 01:53:33 PM »
Now that I'm a dad, morning games don't bother me as much. Get there an hour early for a quick tailgate, head to the game with the fam, pin the kid in the suite with the others running around, watch game,  beer, end of game, Kid takes a nap on the way home, home by 6. Profit!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 26, 2022, 01:59:19 PM »
Lame start times and crappy network selections... otherwise known as the conference "calming the waters".  Don't worry though, there will be tons of SEC and Big Ten games for everyone in the Midwest to watch.  LOL

there is literally every possible time window in those three games

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 26, 2022, 02:38:54 PM »
I will be EMAW'ing my ass off for that Mizzou game. I hope you kick their dicks in the dirt.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 26, 2022, 02:52:52 PM »
I don't like having multiple home games on ESPN+
I don't like having any games on ESPN+ for that matter

Offline KSNimrod

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 26, 2022, 02:54:54 PM »

I get that.  I just get tired of being crapped on because we don't have "enough tv watchers" in the Midwest but yet somehow you can always find an SEC or Big 10 game on?  If it really doesn't move the needle then put that junk on streaming media and let us watch Big XII games in the states where the teams actually are on traditional networks.  Maybe some of the new blood coming into the conference will help...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 26, 2022, 05:31:08 PM »

I get that.  I just get tired of being crapped on because we don't have "enough tv watchers" in the Midwest but yet somehow you can always find an SEC or Big 10 game on?  If it really doesn't move the needle then put that junk on streaming media and let us watch Big XII games in the states where the teams actually are on traditional networks.  Maybe some of the new blood coming into the conference will help...

We simply need to be better as a program and play better opponents. I think all three of those games are appropriately placed, even though I hate 11:00 games with the fire of a thousand suns. In the era of streamed football games, an unranked team playing South Dakota and Tulane has no business on television.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 26, 2022, 05:34:43 PM »
I don't like having multiple home games on ESPN+
I don't like having any games on ESPN+ for that matter
You'd rather have them on KStateHD.TV?
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.