Author Topic: Is UCLA really that slow?  (Read 3267 times)

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Is UCLA really that slow?
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »
Or has K-State been that slow for the last five years? Just got done watching the game for a third time. One thing that stood out to me on the defensive side was how quickly they were closing on the ball. Notably our corners on the bubble passes and being able to come up in run support off tackle.

By no means was it a mob worthy effort, and there's still some pretty soft spots there. Pretty sure if a team wants to just run five wide and we don't have a nickel or dime package in there our linebackers will be picked on nonstop (see play one of the two-play drive). If a team doesn't want to go to that trouble, just run a crossing pattern at Hartman.

Never thought I'd be so happy to have a mediocre defense.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Is UCLA really that slow?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
the lynch mob is back. you'll see.

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »
the lynch mob is back. you'll see.
Next year will be more lynch mob-ish.
EMAW

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 02:48:09 PM »
3x? jfc.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 02:50:21 PM »
Our closing speed and hitting are improving . . . but the MOB ain't back. 

I have a good feeling about Keith Burns being on our coaching staff . . . for now anyway.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 03:22:31 PM »

I have a good feeling about Keith Burns being on our coaching staff . . . for now anyway.

I don't know if it was the ucla receivers dropping every pass that was thrown to them or our d-backs, but they seemed to be the best/most exciting unit on defense, which again doesn't count for a whole lot considering our linebackers and d-line (minus harold)
I'm purple down

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 03:35:27 PM »

I don't know if it was the ucla receivers dropping every pass that was thrown to them or our d-backs, but they seemed to be the best/most exciting unit on defense, which again doesn't count for a whole lot considering our linebackers and d-line (minus harold)

Yeah they did drop some passes and those guys were open . . . but a Norm Chow orchestrated offense is going to get guys open.   Outside of 2 glaring breakdowns, the secondary performed well. 

Sugar Dick

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »

Yeah they did drop some passes and those guys were open . . . but a Norm Chow orchestrated offense is going to get guys open.   Outside of 2 glaring breakdowns, the secondary performed well. 

David Garrett looked good.  Lamur is the best hitter K-State has had in a while.  When we actually attempted a pass rush, it was usually successful.  When we played containment, we contained. 

The LB's were way better than everyone is giving them credit for, but still below average.  Other than that 9 yard TD run, they did a good job of being where they were supposed to be.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 06:04:37 PM »

David Garrett looked good.  Lamur is the best hitter K-State has had in a while.  When we actually attempted a pass rush, it was usually successful.  When we played containment, we contained. 

The LB's were way better than everyone is giving them credit for, but still below average.  Other than that 9 yard TD run, they did a good job of being where they were supposed to be.

The reverse that helped set up the final field goal was atrocious defense all around. I think every defender was inside the west hash mark except for the corner on that side. To be fair, that's also excellent play calling by UCLA. But when you can think of four plays where a defense absolutely broke down to give up about 17 points in the first game, I'm OK with that. Especially when 7 of those are on the offense.

I was impressed with Brown and Harold is just simply a beast. Garrett is good as well. But we're just not going to have linebackers making plays this year.

Offline jake4kstate

• Fan
  • Fear the Beard 4 Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
terence sweeney had a great game too. 1 int and 4 pass defended(led nation so far this week)

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 07:47:56 PM »

I was really impressed with the secondary. Definitely looked speedy to me.

And I should clarify: I was really impressed with the secondary in relation to my quite low expectations for them.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 07:51:41 PM »
Mods...mods...please lock thread. Watching Boise State makes me remember when we had a defense like that.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »

The reverse that helped set up the final field goal was atrocious defense all around. I think every defender was inside the west hash mark except for the corner on that side. To be fair, that's also excellent play calling by UCLA. But when you can think of four plays where a defense absolutely broke down to give up about 17 points in the first game, I'm OK with that. Especially when 7 of those are on the offense.

I was impressed with Brown and Harold is just simply a beast. Garrett is good as well. But we're just not going to have linebackers making plays this year.

That reverse was Felder's fault iirc.  He f*cked up several times Saturday.  I thought Childs did a good job on some third downs spying the QB.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 02:14:27 AM »

I don't know if it was the ucla receivers dropping every pass that was thrown to them

This is a stupid talking point that I hate.  Nearly all of the drops were on shallow crossing patterns, and most were poorly thrown balls to covered receivers.  Lets stop acting like UCLA receivers were running wild 25 yards deep in the secondary dropping balls all day because that simply didn't rough ridin' happen.  I've rarely seen a college game where a QB didn't throw 25+ passes and at least a couple of them didn't hit a receivers hand and subsequently for some reason wasn't caught.  The team is average enough we really don't need people to dramatize or fabricate problems just because they think something should be wrong.

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 09:35:05 PM »

I don't know if it was the ucla receivers dropping every pass that was thrown to them

This is a stupid talking point that I hate.  Nearly all of the drops were on shallow crossing patterns, and most were poorly thrown balls to covered receivers.  Lets stop acting like UCLA receivers were running wild 25 yards deep in the secondary dropping balls all day because that simply didn't rough ridin' happen.  I've rarely seen a college game where a QB didn't throw 25+ passes and at least a couple of them didn't hit a receivers hand and subsequently for some reason wasn't caught.  The team is average enough we really don't need people to dramatize or fabricate problems just because they think something should be wrong.

yeah i might have over dramatized, yeah i might have exaggerated, yeah i might have fabricated, isn't that what bbs'ing is all about
I'm purple down