Author Topic: Cool Sciencey Pictures  (Read 150247 times)

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cool Sciencey Pictures
« Reply #825 on: April 03, 2014, 09:25:13 PM »
So definitely not confirmed.  Thanks.

so we need a sample now?  oh crap, how many planets and suns just vanished feom the sky because we don't have samples :lol:

You don't know enough about it to be certain they couldn't be wrong.  They may very well be correct.  Highly likely even, but it isn't confirmed and you look like an incredible rough ridin' dunce glibly presuming what they are speculating is somehow infallible.  Human scientists err?  Unpossible.

i don't have a sample of you so i don't believe a word you say.  i either received this by error or trickery.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 03, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »
they can see that it's an iceball with a telescope. they hypo'd that there might be some water under there. they observed a change in speed. apply the doppler effect and it's case closed, this baby has water. and ast should colonize.

What if it's some chemically distinct new space moon water and they are just taking for granted it's our water?

this is what gets me.  i mean, we are still discovering elements here on earth, who's to say there isn't some new cool crap out on the space moons eh?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 03, 2014, 09:28:28 PM »
they can see that it's an iceball with a telescope. they hypo'd that there might be some water under there. they observed a change in speed. apply the doppler effect and it's case closed, this baby has water. and ast should colonize.

What if it's some chemically distinct new space moon water and they are just taking for granted it's our water?
i think we have a good idea about the elements in our solar system and the ways hydrogen and oxygen can bond. i also think it's crazy for lay people to argue the semantics.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 03, 2014, 09:29:39 PM »
we are still discovering elements here on earth, who's to say there isn't some new cool crap out on the space moons eh?
link?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 03, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather-extreme-events/new-elements-periodic-table-110610.htm

"Over the past 250 years, there have been basically 100 new elements discovered," said Paul Karol, a chemistry professor at Carnegie Mellon University and chair of the committee that recommended the additions. "But it is becoming more and more difficult to do this so when a new element is discovered, it's actually pretty exciting."

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 03, 2014, 09:33:38 PM »

so we need a sample now?  oh crap, how many planets and suns just vanished feom the sky because we don't have samples :lol:

You don't know enough about it to be certain they couldn't be wrong.  They may very well be correct.  Highly likely even, but it isn't confirmed and you look like an incredible rough ridin' dunce glibly presuming what they are speculating is somehow infallible.  Human scientists err?  Unpossible.

i don't have a sample of you so i don't believe a word you say.  i either received this by error or trickery.

Look I understand it's the best we can do right now and they're likely correct, but a sample would be better right?  If a scientist could choose which one would be the go to for 100% confirmation of plain jane earth water: vibration math and assumptions or the sample?  The scientist chooses the rough ridin' sample. 

This isn't hard.     
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:58 PM »

i think we have a good idea about the elements in our solar system and the ways hydrogen and oxygen can bond. i also think it's crazy for lay people to argue the semantics.

Yeah should probably just call it a wrap, got a pretty good idea here boys.  Don't talk about it plebes.  Science is for not you.       
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 03, 2014, 09:43:31 PM »
http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather-extreme-events/new-elements-periodic-table-110610.htm

"Over the past 250 years, there have been basically 100 new elements discovered," said Paul Karol, a chemistry professor at Carnegie Mellon University and chair of the committee that recommended the additions. "But it is becoming more and more difficult to do this so when a new element is discovered, it's actually pretty exciting."
smashing rare elements together in a lab to create a new one doesn't exactly prove your point.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 03, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »
http://www.universetoday.com/96000/new-mineral-found-in-meteorite-is-from-solar-systems-beginnings/

Scientists have discovered a new mineral embedded in a meteorite that fell to Earth over 40 years ago, and it could be among the oldest minerals, formed in the early days of our solar system. The mineral is a type of titanium oxide and has been named panguite, after Pan Gu, the giant from ancient Chinese mythology who established the world by separating yin from yang to create the Earth and the sky.

“Panguite is an especially exciting discovery since it is not only a new mineral, but also a material previously unknown to science,” says Chi Ma, from Caltech and author of a new paper detailing the discovery.

not an element, but same idea

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 03, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »

Look I understand it's the best we can do right now and they're likely correct, but a sample would be better right?  If a scientist could choose which one would be the go to for 100% confirmation of plain jane earth water: vibration math and assumptions or the sample?  The scientist chooses the rough ridin' sample. 

This isn't hard.     

you were just as dismissive as i was acceptive, both are bad stances.  yes, i trust that when they say that they took into account everything they could possibly think of and still came to that conclusion that they actually did just that.  if it turns out to be wrong, so be it.  to say it isn't water because it could be something else has no more proof than what the guys actually doing the work have.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 03, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »

smashing rare elements together in a lab to create a new one doesn't exactly prove your point.

the fact that it can exist proves my point, just because it's not naturally occurring on earth doesn't mean anything

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 03, 2014, 09:52:34 PM »

This isn't hard.     

you were just as dismissive as i was acceptive, both are bad stances.  yes, i trust that when they say that they took into account everything they could possibly think of and still came to that conclusion that they actually did just that.  if it turns out to be wrong, so be it.  to say it isn't water because it could be something else has no more proof than what the guys actually doing the work have.

he's not dismissive, he said it isn't "confirmed".  it's like your friend tells you he bought a red car, well, i believe him, but it's not confirmed until i have proof other than him just telling me.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 03, 2014, 09:55:42 PM »
http://www.universetoday.com/96000/new-mineral-found-in-meteorite-is-from-solar-systems-beginnings/

Scientists have discovered a new mineral embedded in a meteorite that fell to Earth over 40 years ago, and it could be among the oldest minerals, formed in the early days of our solar system. The mineral is a type of titanium oxide and has been named panguite, after Pan Gu, the giant from ancient Chinese mythology who established the world by separating yin from yang to create the Earth and the sky.

“Panguite is an especially exciting discovery since it is not only a new mineral, but also a material previously unknown to science,” says Chi Ma, from Caltech and author of a new paper detailing the discovery.

yeah, and there's no lack of opportunity for elements to interact.

this abundance thing is way too science-y, but cool:

from here, with a keyhttp://periodictable.com/Properties/A/UniverseAbundance.html

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 03, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »
i'm just a dreamer, bubbles, and my dream is all kinds of wickedly cool stuff out in space  :cool:

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 03, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
i'm just a dreamer, bubbles, and my dream is all kinds of wickedly cool stuff out in space  :cool:
same here. in the meantime, nasa has just confirmed that some moon in our solar system has water under the surface. that's almost wickedly cool, eh?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 03, 2014, 10:07:20 PM »
same here. in the meantime, nasa has just best guessed that some moon in our solar system has water under the surface. that's almost wickedly cool, eh?

:excited:

Offline Trogdor

• Hoodcat
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 04, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
Anyone heard of this "low gravity' phenomena in Hudson Bay Canada? Seems pretty trippy

http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geophysics/missing-gravity.htm
@Trogdor_gE

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 04, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »

yeah, and there's no lack of opportunity for elements to interact.

this abundance thing is way too science-y, but cool:

from here, with a keyhttp://periodictable.com/Properties/A/UniverseAbundance.html
Logarithmic scales, are the best scales.

The Big Train

« Reply #843 on: April 10, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 11, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »
Some of the things in this home video defy science.

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/action-movie-kid-videos/

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 11, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 11, 2014, 01:13:43 PM »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:11 PM »

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 11, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »
radiolab is a terrific science podcast. these, together with dan carlin's hardcore history podcasts make solo drives enjoyable.