Author Topic: The Pirates Grog: Tonights Scrimmage...  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Piratesmile

• Fan
    • View Profile
The Pirates Grog: Tonights Scrimmage...
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »
it appears we are slim in the defensive backfield.......childs is starting at linebacker and is looking nice (former student of mine so ill be getting an autograph family photo with him soon)..........the offense could put up 35 points per game this year........the stadium looks good, but the turf is tired, we need some new chit fast........

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: The Pirates Grog: Tonights Scrimmage...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 06:21:03 PM »
 :pbj:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »
Who returned kicks?  Is this on KC radio?

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 07:07:23 PM »

I'm gettin it on 101 the Fox out of KC on the interweb

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 07:15:58 PM »

I'm gettin it on 101 the Fox out of KC on the interweb

101 is the Chief's pre-season game, professor.

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:04:13 AM »
Jerks,

My balls sweated and my hairdo is ruined from the humidity, but I mingled with the other dorks to get a first hand look at our '10 Cats. Here's what caught my eye:
Receivers
- Tramaine Thompson is the real deal holyfield. Andre Coleman type of dude. Tremendous presence and ability as a youngster. Plays much bigger than Banks already and is pretty much an Aaron Lockett/Coleman clone.
-Brod Smith is really really good. His spring game beatdown of our 3rd string white corners was no fluke.
- Harper ran better and hustled more than in the Spring game. He can't seperate himself from a Dback at all and this is why he won't be an every down receiver. I'm sure we'll get him the ball in space with screens and short route type of stuff. But he's just not a receiver.
- Quarles is a tremendous 3rd receiver. Big and runs a great route. He'll come in very handy during the season.
- Torell Miller is going to be good. He's adjusted well to the receiver spot.
- There's a few Anglo receivers who will never get a shot on offense, but they're good too. These dudes will Brice Libel the crap out of things and make great plays on Special teams.

QB's
-Coffman is actually decent. If the guy somehow found some pocket presents under the tree, he'll be serviceable. Dude's got a strong arm and appeared to shorten his delivery quite a bit. He was fairly nimble. My mind was eased a bit, because of his improvements.
- Klein is not a good thrower. By far the worst arm of the 4. He's an impressive looking guy in a Colorado way, but he can't throw the ball very well. I've got to believe the WRSOATs want him to be the 3rd string QB, but also a backup receiver, short yardage type of guy somehow.
- Slammy. He must not "get" Snyder's phonebook offense at all. Slammy can sling it. Slammy is fun to watch. Slammy is jovial. Slammy is fluid. Slammy is not Bishop.
- Cosh has an unbelievably strong arm. Seriously. He's about the size of Chase Daniel, but he's also mobile. He by far had the strongest arm. Cosh will be a factor in '11.

Etc.... Since I only have a trained eye for the playmakers, I didn't get a good report on the Oline,dline, linebackers. I just don't understand what makes a good blocker or pass rusher, other than when they completely dominate people. But, they looked good... I think.

Tre Walker looked big.
Terrance Sweeney looked like a legit defensive back.
Robinson and Hubert are about the same type of back. Both could be very good if the unmentionable KITN happens.
I love Coach Burns. There's just something funny about a balding, portly man jiving with the homies after a big play.
Coach Smith is an unbelievable upgrade to the Wide Receiver position. He's developing some great talent there.
Our depth at the first and second string for the most part is really good. The problem is the drop off after that.

The old analogy, "don't count your pinstripe bowl tickets before they hatch." may come to fruition for this season. These guys may win more than 7.
elitist since 1994

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 12:14:27 AM »
Lefty is super good at this.

Offline g2brg

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 12:27:47 AM »
thanks for the report, Lefty!

:kstatriot:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:46:00 AM »
feel bad about his hair.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »
thanks lefty for filling us [spoiler]"freaks"[/spoiler] in.   :cheers:  We are such [spoiler]"freaks"[/spoiler] us ksu kat fanz

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 12:54:54 AM »
I now have an EMAWrection.

Offline Rumsfield

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 01:05:19 AM »
- Cosh has an unbelievably strong arm. Seriously. He's about the size of Chase Daniel, but he's also mobile. He by far had the strongest arm. Cosh will be a factor in '11. 

Please look at adding rocket launchers, etc to the Cosh pictures.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 01:11:48 AM »
so we'll beat Texas? :crossfingers:

Offline Dr. tylerhughes

• Fan
  • HEY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 01:30:53 AM »

- Klein is not a good thrower. By far the worst arm of the 4. He's an impressive looking guy in a Colorado way, but he can't throw the ball very well. I've got to believe the WRSOATs want him to be the 3rd string QB, but also a backup receiver, short yardage type of guy somehow.

GMAFB

he was the only one of the four to make it into the basket (at 35 yards).  Just because he was lofting the ball doesn't mean he has the worst arm. 

Coffman tards rejoice at the fact that he looked like he had great pocket presence against Tate Snyder (extreme side to side quickness).

Offline Lefty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »

GMAFB

he was the only one of the four to make it into the basket (at 35 yards).  Just because he was lofting the ball doesn't mean he has the worst arm. 

Coffman tards rejoice at the fact that he looked like he had great pocket presence against Tate Snyder (extreme side to side quickness).

No need to be a jerk Tylerhughes. I'm not talking about the embarrassing display of repetitively missing the laundry basket by all the qb's, I'm talking about his overall performance. He had no arm strength all day. And during that laundry basket debacle, he could barely muster a 35 yd loft. Maybe it's dinged up a bit?

elitist since 1994

Offline Iceberg

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
it appears we are slim in the defensive backfield.......childs is starting at linebacker and is looking nice (former student of mine so ill be getting an autograph family photo with him soon)..........the offense could put up 35 points per game this year........the stadium looks good, but the turf is tired, we need some new chit fast........

Isn't it great having former students on the team?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »

Isn't it great having former students on the team?

Yep.  Couple summers ago I spent a few weeks as Carson's Ninja instructor.  It didn't end up working out, but I feel like we still have a pretty good rapport.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 11:04:09 AM »
These are the threads that come right before the season and start convincing me we wont suck, then the season starts and inevitably, we suck.  My heart breaks every time

:angry: I WONT DO IT THIS YEAR LEFTY! YOU CANT TALK ME INTO IT!  MY HEART CANNOT TAKE THIS!  :angry:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 11:15:56 AM »
These are the threads that come right before the season and start convincing me we wont suck, then the season starts and inevitably, we suck.  My heart breaks every time

:angry: I WONT DO IT THIS YEAR LEFTY! YOU CANT TALK ME INTO IT!  MY HEART CANNOT TAKE THIS!  :angry:

we knew that our offense was going to be better.  it's our defense that's going to be god awful.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 11:26:29 AM »
These are the threads that come right before the season and start convincing me we wont suck, then the season starts and inevitably, we suck.  My heart breaks every time

:angry: I WONT DO IT THIS YEAR LEFTY! YOU CANT TALK ME INTO IT!  MY HEART CANNOT TAKE THIS!  :angry:

we knew that our offense was going to be better.  it's our defense that's going to be god awful.

Yup.   This is going to be one of the worst defenses we have fielded since Snyder took over the first time.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 11:50:39 AM »
daris update from the thing last night-

lots of good seats still available for this season. also, some Oline guy threw up while practicing. i could see the online throw up thing being an issue if it keeps up during the season. hopefully snyder can get that worked out before the opener.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »

Yup.   This is going to be one of the worst defenses we have fielded since Snyder took over the first time.

But Cosh told me that he could "scheme" and everything would be ok

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 12:11:24 PM »
These are the threads that come right before the season and start convincing me we wont suck, then the season starts and inevitably, we suck.  My heart breaks every time

:angry: I WONT DO IT THIS YEAR LEFTY! YOU CANT TALK ME INTO IT!  MY HEART CANNOT TAKE THIS!  :angry:

Agreed.  This is why I always take the contrarian approach.  I'm guessing we win 5 games.  I also think our offense will blow and our defense will end up being salty.  (sorry i used the term salty.)
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 12:16:27 PM »

But Cosh told me that he could "scheme" and everything would be ok

If they stay healthy, and that's a big "if", the defensive line could be good.  The safeties as well.

The corners could be serviceable.

The linebackers are going to be a very, very weak unit.  Especially if Hrebec is still starting.  If they can get Childs and Slaughter in there at the same time, maybe.  Hrebec is just...well, yeah.

And I'm not a big Cosh fan.  Never have been.  So I'm hoping for FBS middle of the pack defense at best and hope we just run the ball and kill clock all game long.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »
:driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: BALL CONTROL :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: :driving: