Author Topic: RP greets fans in Prairie Village  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
RP greets fans in Prairie Village
« on: August 21, 2010, 09:11:58 AM »
Standing in front of hundreds of Kansas fans decked out in crimson and blue — many hiding under umbrellas from a consistent rain — KU football coach Turner Gill knew without a doubt that he was not in Buffalo anymore.

“No question, it’s different,” Gill said. “Being at Buffalo, the Buffalo Bills were kind of the No. 1 team. The Sabres were No. 2. College football was an afterthought.”

Even at the height of Gill’s fame in western New York, when he led the University at Buffalo Bulls to the 2008 Mid-American Conference championship, the passion of the fans there was nothing like what could be seen on Friday night in Prairie Village as KU supporters gathered for their annual preseason pep rally.

About 10 minutes before Gill arrived on the scene to speak, it began to rain, scattering a large number of fans under the cover of the adjacent Corinth Square shops. Still, enough diehards remained in front of the stage that Gill had a feeling about the kind of crowds he could expect on Saturdays in Memorial Stadium.

“I know you guys wanna get dry, no?” Gill shouted over the microphone. “I like that because it’s just like a football game. I want to make sure that you’re gonna be there for the first quarter, second quarter, third quarter and fourth quarter every single game.”

It was the last guy, former KU coach Mark Mangino, who conditioned fans of the Jayhawks to make room for the football team as more than just a way to make it to basketball season. Gill doesn’t plan on taking a step back and having to see a bunch of empty seats.

While Mangino was usually one to let his players do the talking for him on the field, Gill didn’t hesitate Friday night to give the fans some hope for the coming season.

“You’re gonna have an exciting team,” Gill said. “We’re gonna play with enthusiasm, energy. Our defense will be very explosive and aggressive. As you all know, (defensive coordinator Carl) Torbush has coached a lot of great defenses. We will attack. We will be doing some blitzing. On special teams, I will be going for it some on fourth down.”

On that note, the fans cheered.

“I want you to cheer, too,” Gill said, “if we don’t make it.”

Gill showed he is not afraid to be a rah-rah guy. At the end of his pep talk, he wanted to lead the fans in a rendition of the “Rock Chalk” chant. Gill would say “One, two, three,” and the fans would respond with “Rock Chalk!” After two of those, Gill said he wanted to “move it up a level here” by having the fans add “Jayhawk” to the cheer.

“I smell it, I feel it, I love it!” Gill said after their first attempt.

After he exited the stage, Gill spent 10 minutes signing autographs and taking pictures with fans of all ages.

“It’s exciting,” Gill said. “This is a great example to show that people are going to come out no matter what the conditions are. They’re excited about KU football. We’re gonna give them a good product to be happy about for a long time.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/20/2164181/turner-gill-greets-jayhawk-fans.html#ixzz0xFXUKwhb

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: RP greets fans in Prairie Village
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:13:19 AM »
 :lol:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »
Pics and autographs for only 10 min?  Sounds like there were only about 100 fans there.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:16:17 AM »
Levi, thoughts?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »
Pics and autographs for only 10 min?  Sounds like there were only about 100 fans there.

PRAIRIE VILLAGE — There might have been a smudged signature or two on Todd Reesing's new book.

The former Kansas quarterback, whose memoir "Rising to New Heights" was just released, was at KU's football pep rally Friday in Prairie Village until the rain really started pouring.

"It's just a little insight into the last four years," he said. "It's a fun read. Hopefully people will enjoy it."

Though the text is Reesing's own words, he admitted he didn't actually write it with his own fingers. He dictated to writer Kent Pulliam, who prompted Reesing with questions.

That book signing, though, was pretty much the highlight of the evening for KU fans, unless you count the beer, which always flows freely at these events. The rain started coming down about the time football coach Turner Gill arrived. Gill never did speak to the crowd because there wasn't really a crowd in which to speak.

Nonetheless, he was impressed with the initial turnout, even on a damp day.

"It's exciting, it just makes me feel very excited, just like game day," Gill said. "Sometimes you're gonna have some games where rain is gonna come out, you know the fans will come out and support. This is great example to show people are gonna come out no matter what conditions are, they're excited about KU football, we're gonna give good product to be happy about for a long, long time."

http://cjonline.com/sports/football/2010-08-20/reesings_book_highlights_ku_rally

:surprised:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »
What a racist fanbase.   :facepalm:

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Standing in front of hundreds of Kansas fans decked out in crimson and blue — many hiding under umbrellas from a consistent rain — KU football coach Turner Gill knew without a doubt that he was not in Buffalo anymore.

“No question, it’s different,” Gill said. “Being at Buffalo, the Buffalo Bills were kind of the No. 1 team. The Sabres were No. 2. College football was an afterthought.”

Somebody please tell Gill about Massa Seff and the MBB program.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 09:59:34 AM »

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 10:04:44 AM »

we need to use this to summarize the turner gill/kansas experiment more on the regular from now on.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »
 :lol: :lol:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
He'll learn soon enough about ku fans knack for hitting the exits starting in the 2nd quarter.  My feeling is that he'll really get prime opportunities to witness it this season.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 02:21:10 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
- chunkles

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 02:27:48 PM »

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
Former quarterback Todd Reesing was also on hand to sign copies of his new book.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/21/2164989/faces-at-the-ku-football-rally.html#ixzz0xGq2vo4r

*crickets*

Also:

:lol:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:33:07 PM by EMAWmeister »

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/21/2164989/faces-at-the-ku-football-rally.html

I don't think this was at the rally, I think they found a Fam Renion pick where a jayhok was on a table.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »
Guys BMW is going to leave again when he sees you making fun of his whole family like this.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 02:54:05 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The42Yardstick

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 03:10:51 PM »
omfg. the zubaz argument is pretty much null and void now.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
 :surprised: :barf:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 07:02:19 PM »
I think I'm gonna live up to the stereotype. Kinda like how black people are all cold blooded gangsters. I have a KSU starter jacket, but will complete the look with some purple and white zubaz. I'll look fantastic.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 12:56:09 AM »
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/21/2164989/faces-at-the-ku-football-rally.html

Trim, you have an evil streak in u; don't ya.  After about the five pix, I throw up!  :barf:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 03:04:56 AM »
I think I'm gonna live up to the stereotype. Kinda like how black people are all cold blooded gangsters. I have a KSU starter jacket, but will complete the look with some purple and white zubaz. I'll look fantastic.
:opcat:

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 05:57:32 AM »
i actually spotted a girl in a bill walker KSU jersey there while I was driving by.  pretty awesome on her part.

Offline Perry

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »
Chubby band girl in one of Trim's pics is someone I went to high school with.

That is all.