Author Topic: Gold  (Read 7990 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Gold
« on: July 28, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Gold
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »
 :surprised:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:21:08 PM »
Probably a bad idea to buy gold if you don't know what you are doing.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »
Glen Beck is banking on his idiot fanbase? Color me  :surprised:

Sugar Dick

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »
As crazy as some of the people that buy gold are, it's hard to argue with it's recent success as an investment.

Any moron that thinks any collectible is an investment deserves what they get (i.e. Spud McKenzie, Baseball Cards, Pogs).  If they're taking investment advice from Glenn Beck they deserve what they get twofold. 

Sugar Dick

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:03:07 PM »
As crazy as some of the people that buy gold are, it's hard to argue with it's recent success as an investment.

Any moron that thinks any collectible is an investment deserves what they get (i.e. Spud McKenzie, Baseball Cards, Pogs).  If they're taking investment advice from Glenn Beck they deserve what they get twofold. 

Hilarious   :lol:

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »
http://www.weinerfacts.com/weiner/

Silver is a better way to go, with much better upside potential, if you feel like investing directly in metals.

Offline TBL

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Um, GB always says to look into it yourself. That Congressman Weiner is just that. A stupid weiner.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 10:01:12 PM »
alan colmes must be in on the scam, too, since he advertises gold.  Damn neocon.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 11:34:45 PM »
who is allen colmes?

Sugar Dick

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 03:37:48 AM »
who is allen colmes?

Has a liberal radio show, and also liberal contributor on various news networks.  Used to be Sean Hannity's sidekick on the show "Hannity and Colmes".

Spells his name Alan, not Allen

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:25 AM »
who is allen colmes?

Has a liberal radio show, and also liberal contributor on various news networks.  Used to be Sean Hannity's sidekick on the show "Hannity and Colmes".

He's a greedy idiot too.

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »
who is allen colmes?

He's a greedy idiot too.

We just need to tax the hell out of the rich.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 08:24:17 PM »
Shouldn't one of the idiot demodrones have dropped the "free markets" thing by now?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 08:57:07 PM »
Probably a bad idea to buy gold if you don't know what you are doing.

or if you are relying on Glenn Beck's advice

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »
Pretty much anyone who isn't investing locally (outside the stock/bond market), or in index funds is throwing away money.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
Pretty much anyone who isn't investing locally (outside the stock/bond market), or in index funds is throwing away money.

It depends on how old you are. If you don't plan on cashing in on your investment for another 40 years, developing a diverse stock portfolio could be a good idea.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »

It depends on how old you are. If you don't plan on cashing in on your investment for another 40 years, developing a diverse stock portfolio could be a good idea.

you can do this with index funds.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 11:14:03 PM »

Yes, I know. I was just pointing out that there are multiple ways to successfully invest. Really, this is a great time for a young person who is capable of investing a few hundred bucks a month to do so. It's a great time to buy and a horrible time to sell.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 11:29:46 PM »

Yes, I know. I was just pointing out that there are multiple ways to successfully invest. Really, this is a great time for a young person who is capable of investing a few hundred bucks a month to do so. It's a great time to buy and a horrible time to sell.

It is never a good time for this investor.  Index funds limit the misery somewhat.

Sugar Dick

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 01:59:39 PM »

It is never a good time for this investor.  Index funds limit the misery somewhat.

Google:  "Morningstar rating"

There are investment managers/teams that consistently outperform benchmark indices.  Janus and American Funds have a bunch of them.  Manning and Napier for international. 

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »
USAGX

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Politics aside, how is it weird for a paid spokesman to promote the product he is paid to promote?  I don't get mad at the D-list celebrities hawking diet pills or POS workout devices on infomercials, so why be mad at GB for hawking a similar waste of money?   I guess it could be viewed as preying on weak-minded individuals, but does every other commercial out there.  Damn you Michael Jordan!!!  I assumed that eating McDonalds, drinking Gatorade and Coke, and wearing Hanes underwear would make me a HOF b-ball player!!!!  That said, anyone that blindly follows the advice of anyone else is a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and probably deserves to lose 42% (or whatever it ended up being) of their investments.  I'm too smart for that.  I only take investment advice from the guy on Mad Money!!   :users:

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
Politics aside, how is it weird for a paid spokesman to promote the product he is paid to promote?  I don't get mad at the D-list celebrities hawking diet pills or POS workout devices on infomercials, so why be mad at GB for hawking a similar waste of money?   I guess it could be viewed as preying on weak-minded individuals, but does every other commercial out there.  Damn you Michael Jordan!!!  I assumed that eating McDonalds, drinking Gatorade and Coke, and wearing Hanes underwear would make me a HOF b-ball player!!!!  That said, anyone that blindly follows the advice of anyone else is a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) and probably deserves to lose 42% (or whatever it ended up being) of their investments.  I'm too smart for that.  I only take investment advice from the guy on Mad Money!!   :users:

There's a slight distinction between being paid to hawk a product in a commercial. Even retards know the difference between a commercial and entertainment/news etc. Beck promotes buying gold as a hedge (only after you pray on it really, really hard first) against inflation/apocalypse  on his shows. Then during breaks Goldline commercials run. It adds another layer to the mix. Beck isn't directly promoting Goldline in his show, but he certainly stands to directly profit from espousing his views. It's not a huge deal on TV and even less so on radio, which has always had a very, very blurry line between editorial/entertainment content and advertising.

All those "live remotes" Keitzeman does are paid for by the places they are out pimping. The BBQ segments they do are paid segments.  In a way those are worse than what Beck does because Keitzman never says "We're being paid to broadcast from xxx place today." Most morons can figure out Beck is getting money from ads that run on his shows and compare that to what he's saying. When WHB is broadcasting from a new restaurant and talking about how good the food is, most people aren't aware that the entire afternoon segment is an advert for that restaurant and they're being paid to say the food tastes good.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »
Radio shows often included the host promoting a product in a live, casual manner.  Kinda like Jim Rome talking about what flavor of 5-hour each crew member prefers.  It's still just a promotion.  I seldom listen to GB, so I'm not sure exactly how it sounds on air though...