Author Topic: Excellent b-ball survey article  (Read 1639 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Excellent b-ball survey article
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:44:48 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5398415

All the coaches are anonymous. But I could only figure out one...

Bill Self

If you could land a top-five player but had to break a major rule to do it -- knowing there was a zero percent chance of getting caught -- would you?

Only one coach hinted that he would consider it, asking: "Where am I in my career? It's a risk-reward. If you're at the beginning of your career or at the end of your contract, you might take the risk.''

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Excellent b-ball survey article
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:50:32 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=5398415

All the coaches are anonymous. But I could only figure out one...

Bill Self

If you could land a top-five player but had to break a major rule to do it -- knowing there was a zero percent chance of getting caught -- would you?

Only one coach hinted that he would consider it, asking: "Where am I in my career? It's a risk-reward. If you're at the beginning of your career or at the end of your contract, you might take the risk.''

Quote from:  Massa Self?
"I'll tell you another problem -- 70 percent of the kids we're sitting here watching should be in summer school."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »
i remember when masta seff broke the rules to talk to john wall and it didn't even matter b/c john wall was like whatever white man i'm not going to let you chain me down.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »
How long did it take this guy to get this figured out?

"We don't coach anymore,'' one coach said. "This job isn't about coaching. It's about acquiring talent.''

Priorities for DI bball coach:
1. Acquire talent
2. Acquire talent
3. Acquire talent
4. Once you've done everything in your power to get as much talent as possible into your progarm, you coach them up the best you can. At some point though, you're going to have come to terms with the fact that certain players individual talents are more effective than those sweet plays you spent all summer diagramming.
5. Acquire talent

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »

"We don't coach anymore,'' one coach said. "This job isn't about coaching. It's about acquiring talent.''

1. Acquire talent
2. Acquire talent
3. Acquire talent
4. Once you've done everything in your power to get as much talent as possible into your progarm, you coach them up the best you can. At some point though, you're going to have come to terms with the fact that certain players individual talents are more effective than those sweet plays you spent all summer diagramming.
5. Acquire talent

Squatting Doc tells you to STFU!
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Underdog Wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »

1. Acquire talent
2. Acquire talent
3. Acquire talent
5. Acquire talent

Squatting Doc tells you to STFU!

LOLZ, at least Doc is heading to "cleaner" turf within the next couple years, I'm sure he'll feel right at home there!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
So obviously Self.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »
If they asked Frank that question......and it wasn't anonymous...and he said "eff Yes"....I would fist pump super hard.  Not because he would, because every coach in the country would, but because he had the balls to put it out there.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:25:57 PM by steve dave »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
If they asked Frank that question......and it wasn't anomimous...and he said "shazbot! Yes"....I would fist pump super hard.  Not because he would, because every coach in the country would, but because he had the balls to put it out there.

I'd probably take him as much cash as I could raise and give it to him because I'd know it would be spent well.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
The rationale went like this: "You can't coach him,'' one coach explained. "He'd always have something over you, so how do you make him practice hard? How do you make him go to class?''

this coach nailed it.  the people that think players are all being paid are, in their own way, as naive as those who think their school is driven snow.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 04:03:56 AM »
The rationale went like this: "You can't coach him,'' one coach explained. "He'd always have something over you, so how do you make him practice hard? How do you make him go to class?''

this coach nailed it.  the people that think players are all being paid are, in their own way, as naive as those who think their school is driven snow.

That's a fundamental dilemma that's been around since the very first player got paid. Number one rule for cheating; plausible deniability, e.i. assure it's near impossible the paper trail could lead back to you.

Funnel the benefits through intermediaries. Boosters, friends of the programs, agents, business owners, and often persons with seemingly no, or very little, connection to the school at all. Any communication is done by an assistant, likely a ways down the chain of command.

If a player spills the beans, everyone claims to know nothing. Worst case, the heat comes down and the NCAA wants blood, the assistant becomes the "rouge" offender, acting on his own without any knowledge by the coach and the higher ups.

Benefits can be provided in a way that looks legitimate, and/or is less likely to be noticed. Jobs for coaches and family members, house for mom, "job" for the athlete at a local car dealership, etc. Also, a player isn't likely to talk if it means his mother loses the mortgage on her house and her new job.

I more or less agree with your basic point. The crazy high percentages of athletes that some people claim are receiving major benefits (beyond common stuff like tutoring) would seem unlikely, due to the complexity, planning, and risk involved, among many other factors.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:33:16 AM by Benja »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 11:50:33 AM »
Several tactics:

-Ensure current players father, a former player/current alum/current booster is engaged in an all cash ticket scam operation with loads of plausible deniability and fall guy bagmen/women working on fringes of athletic department.   Athletic department employees have no on paper ties to specific sports programs and the ability for the AD to take "sure am disappointed, but I had know idea that was going on" approach at all presss conferences.

-Bring in sons of wealthy alums and friends of the program as walk-ons.   Virtually untraceable with mountains of plausible deniability, as all monies are filtered thru walkons and postioned as scholarship player A "borrowed" money from Walk-On player B.

-Establish end of career payoff through "barnstorming" tour that no one really knows who manages and organizes.