Author Topic: The michigancat music discussion thread.  (Read 474460 times)

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The michigancat music discussion thread.
« Reply #1752 on: July 30, 2013, 01:00:25 PM »

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 30, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 30, 2013, 01:20:29 PM »
going to see Ryan Bingham, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, and Bob Dylan tomorrow night in Denver for the Americanarama festival? any EMAW's been to this festival this year? thanks, go cats

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 31, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
the beach boys are underrated IMO

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/07/31/beach_boys_vocal_tracks_isolated_and_visualized_watch_video.html

Pet Sounds is probably my favorite go-to album when I need time to sit back and contemplate things. "Here Today" gave me one of those rare and glorious "Oh holy crap" moments that you get while listening to a song for the first time. Right at the beginning when the trombone drops in and all the harmonies open up is still incredible to me whenever I listen to it.

Offline reidrolled

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 31, 2013, 01:09:13 PM »
going to see Ryan Bingham, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, and Bob Dylan tomorrow night in Denver for the Americanarama festival? any EMAW's been to this festival this year? thanks, go cats

I'm going, friend

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 31, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »
Slighty Stoopid and Atmosphere at Crossroads, Friday night  :D

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 31, 2013, 02:51:50 PM »

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/07/31/beach_boys_vocal_tracks_isolated_and_visualized_watch_video.html

Pet Sounds and Smile are both on my top 10 albums of all time. the lady is a big fan of Animal Collective and had never heard Pet Sounds. Played Merriweather Post-Pavillion and Pet Sounds back to back and blew her mind.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 31, 2013, 02:55:10 PM »

Pet Sounds and Smile are both on my top 10 albums of all time. the lady is a big fan of Animal Collective and had never heard Pet Sounds. Played Merriweather Post-Pavillion and Pet Sounds back to back and blew her mind.

I think the popularity of the Beatles has a lot to do with them being overlooked. (slimz' Full House reference flew over my head).

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 31, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »

I think the popularity of the Beatles has a lot to do with them being overlooked. (slimz' Full House reference flew over my head).

I can't really speak to the exact surrounding culture, but the british invasion well could have helped pigeonhole the beach boys as a surf band? Idk, but their music is fantastic.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 31, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »

I can't really speak to the exact surrounding culture, but the british invasion well could have helped pigeonhole the beach boys as a surf band? Idk, but their music is fantastic.

Some of their early stuff was pretty bubble gummy, I guess. (Like the Beatles weren't!) But it was still really good.

Wasn't Pet Sounds sort of born out of Brian Wilson being obsessed with being compared to the Beatles or something?

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 31, 2013, 03:41:09 PM »
are they that underrated though?  pet sounds seems to show up on basically all "best album" lists (could be making this up but it seems this way)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 31, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »
are they that underrated though?  pet sounds seems to show up on basically all "best album" lists (could be making this up but it seems this way)

its always on my list

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 31, 2013, 03:44:05 PM »

I think if you don't consider them the greatest band of the 60's, you may be underrating them. Maybe most people appreciate Brian Wilson for the genius he is, not sure. I think a lot of peoples' perception of the Beach Boys is unjustly influenced by Kokomo, too.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 31, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »

I think if you don't consider them the greatest band of the 60's, you may be underrating them. Maybe most people appreciate Brian Wilson for the genius he is, not sure. I think a lot of peoples' perception of the Beach Boys is unjustly influenced by Kokomo, too.

i don't think they are that underrated, but i do think that a good portion of music fan's don't even think about them as a legitimate band.

speaking of Pet Sounds...

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 31, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »

i don't think they are that underrated, but i do think that a good portion of music fan's don't even think about them as a legitimate band.

yeah - i think i'm probably just splitting hairs here, but they're almost more "overlooked" than "underrated" if that makes any sense?  i agree with the sentiment

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »

:love:*

*not pet sounds but still  :love:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »

:thumbs:

this is one of my favorite videos of all time:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 31, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »
Anyone go to Postal Service last night? Going tonight with ksudeuce and mrsksudeuce. :excited:
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The michigancat music discussion thread.
« Reply #1772 on: July 31, 2013, 07:12:55 PM »
Anyone go to Postal Service last night? Going tonight with ksudeuce and mrsksudeuce. :excited:

Would have but I had to go out of town. Mates is fantastic.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 31, 2013, 09:11:48 PM »

Got a solid 9.8 on Pitchfork.

Offline Jackstack99EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 01, 2013, 06:13:53 AM »

Got a solid 9.8 on Pitchfork.

That video is great, not sure how I haven't seen it before.