Author Topic: The michigancat music discussion thread.  (Read 474623 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The michigancat music discussion thread.
« Reply #800 on: February 14, 2012, 09:02:51 PM »
So thanks to Jimmy Kimmel tonight I was introduced to something called Big Freedia.  Uh wow. I really don't know what to say, I kinda like it though.  Sissy bounce?

pffft welcome to last summer in Manhattan, KS at ChiCat's crawdad boil when I unleashed Azz Everywhere on goEMAW.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: February 15, 2012, 02:14:57 AM »
I kind of want to kick the producer of the second album in the balls.  The songs are good really.  The singers voice is too good for it to be masked by using autotune as an effect for half of the album.  The title track is one of my favorite songs ever until it goes into meaningless "eff around with autotune mode" at 3:10ish.  "Stars" is absolutely ruined by it.  His voice is so effing good, and then it gets raped for 4 straight minutes.

"Why am I the One?":love:

I know what you mean, BUT, if you call it "effects" instead of "autotune" and realize that they're not trying to "improve" his voice, but rather "enhance" it by giving it a bit of a new sound, it makes you feel a little better.

I agree, it is clearly used as an effect, not as a fix for not being good enough.  I just would prefer him singing naturally since those effects can make my voice sound exactly like that.  I don't think it adds anything on the songs it is used on.  Would rather listen to Aim & Ignite.  Fun.'s two best attributes are having a singer with a fantastic voice and making catchy songs.  They cheapen their best attribute on their new album.
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 15, 2012, 02:19:05 AM »
I kind of want to kick the producer of the second album in the balls.  The songs are good really.  The singers voice is too good for it to be masked by using autotune as an effect for half of the album.  The title track is one of my favorite songs ever until it goes into meaningless "eff around with autotune mode" at 3:10ish.  "Stars" is absolutely ruined by it.  His voice is so effing good, and then it gets raped for 4 straight minutes.

"Why am I the One?":love:

I know what you mean, BUT, if you call it "effects" instead of "autotune" and realize that they're not trying to "improve" his voice, but rather "enhance" it by giving it a bit of a new sound, it makes you feel a little better.

I agree, it is clearly used as an effect, not as a fix for not being good enough.  I just would prefer him singing naturally since those effects can make my voice sound exactly like that.  I don't think it adds anything on the songs it is used on.  Would rather listen to Aim & Ignite.  Fun.'s two best attributes are having a singer with a fantastic voice and making catchy songs.  They cheapen their best attribute on their new album.
I mean, if you want to hear Nate's voice, there are probably 5 or so Format albums where you can do that.  I highly recommend them.

But they wanted to try something different I guess and although I agree, I like the more bare-bones vocals, I understand why they did it and commend their effort.  I do, however, think the effects are done pretty well on Some Nights (the song).  When he's talking about his nephew and they use it to make it sound like he's a baby.  Man.  It's adorbs.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: February 15, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
nobody has mentioned it yet, and i'm surprised i haven't, but burial's latest effort "Kindred" has been out for a week or so.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #804 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »
I played this in turntable today.  It got a good reception by a few folks.

Asteroids Galaxy Tour - Major: http://www.youtube.com/user/asteroidsgalaxytour?feature=watch#p/u/6/t-oB7oQxSc4

They're a Danish band.  Looks like they had a song chart a couple of years back that's been used in some commercials.

"The Golden Age" - http://www.youtube.com/user/asteroidsgalaxytour?feature=watch#p/u/29/x5h-LAvQDCQ

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »
Butch Walker was on Letterman last night.  Good to see him gaining some publicity.  I broke out A Little Left of Self Centered this morning for the morning run. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: February 18, 2012, 06:54:13 PM »
I like this:

Honeyhoney

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: February 18, 2012, 07:17:34 PM »
also, this is awesome:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: February 20, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:55:13 PM by treysolid »

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: February 21, 2012, 10:48:26 AM »
Black Up

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 22, 2012, 02:30:02 PM »
sooo, Big Freedia is headlining a gay dance party in SF this weekend and I'm thinking of getting a sitter and takin' the Mrs. out. Debating if it's worth the price of a sitter.

Here is a description of the organizers:

The idea behind Hard French is to modernize, takeover, revamp, trick out, revive, and do up the outdoor afternoon dance party experience. This is a party for everyone – where drag queens mingle with lesbians, leather daddy’s soul dance with Cholas, sharps share hot dogs with activists, jocks make out with twinks, brown meets white meets purple meets gay guy meets ladies meets q and everyone leaves excited to come back next month.

http://publicsf.com/events/noise-pop-presents-big-freedia-public-works-6962

:emawkid:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 22, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
sooo, Big Freedia is headlining a gay dance party in SF this weekend and I'm thinking of getting a sitter and takin' the Mrs. out. Debating if it's worth the price of a sitter.

The idea behind Hard French is to modernize, takeover, revamp, trick out, revive, and do up the outdoor afternoon dance party experience. This is a party for everyone – where drag queens mingle with lesbians, leather daddy’s soul dance with Cholas, sharps share hot dogs with activists, jocks make out with twinks, brown meets white meets purple meets gay guy meets ladies meets q and everyone leaves excited to come back next month.

oh man, i would love to be at that party. guaranteed to be
AZZ EVERYWHERE

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 23, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »

oh man, i would love to be at that party. guaranteed to be
AZZ EVERYWHERE

I just want you to know how much I appreciated this post.

Alas, I don't think the Mrs. is interested. The bounce music is just not her thing. I tried to win her over with this video from Freida's last SF performance (NSFW), but it didn't do the trick:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
I wasn't even aware that Kele (from Bloc Party) released an album last November, but there is an amazing cover of "Goodbye Horses" on it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 23, 2012, 07:08:36 PM »
I listen to a lot of the XX lately while message boarding

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:32 PM »
Modeselektor:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 24, 2012, 09:17:26 PM »
 I was making a point not to listen to wayne on purpose and junk.  trying to quit him or whatever.  then I'm listening to jeezy or something and wayne shows up and it's, by far, the best part of their album.  even when I try I can't quit you wayne.  even when I try to quit you.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 25, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 25, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »
I was making a point not to listen to wayne on purpose and junk.  trying to quit him or whatever.  then I'm listening to jeezy or something and wayne shows up and it's, by far, the best part of their album.  even when I try I can't quit you wayne.  even when I try to quit you.

I was putting in some work (SOME WORK, SON) at the bowling alley last night and they starting playing music videos on projectors that were in above the pins. every other song had lil wayne on it.  :love:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:46 AM »

I was putting in some work (SOME WORK, SON) at the bowling alley last night and they starting playing music videos on projectors that were in above the pins. every other song had lil wayne on it.  :love:
Ugh, I hate cosmic bowling.  So distracting...

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 25, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
Opening song from the movie "Drive." 

:love:  :love:  :love:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 26, 2012, 12:54:05 AM »
nobody has mentioned it yet, and i'm surprised i haven't, but burial's latest effort "Kindred" has been out for a week or so.

Finally got around to listening to it.  Pretty impressive.

"Loner" is amazing.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 27, 2012, 12:15:08 AM »
The new Fun. album is growing on me. 

And it is on Spotify now.
:adios: