Author Topic: The michigancat music discussion thread.  (Read 474608 times)

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The michigancat music discussion thread.
« Reply #400 on: January 14, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »
So fellas, I just came across the band "Fun."  Anybody familiar with them?  The lead singer is the former front man of The Format, but I gotta say, I like this more than The Format, and I liked the Format quite a bit.

Thoughts?

Saw them live when they toured with Manchester Orchestra. Two of the guys in FUN are from Steel Train. If you haven't listened to Steel Train, you should. It's like the Format in the sense that you're pumped up the whole time you're listening to it, but way more indie than poppy.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 14, 2011, 11:04:44 PM »
So fellas, I just came across the band "Fun."  Anybody familiar with them?  The lead singer is the former front man of The Format, but I gotta say, I like this more than The Format, and I liked the Format quite a bit.

Thoughts?

Saw them live when they toured with Manchester Orchestra. Two of the guys in FUN are from Steel Train. If you haven't listened to Steel Train, you should. It's like the Format in the sense that you're pumped up the whole time you're listening to it, but way more indie than poppy.
I thought only Jack was from Steel Train. 

I'm huge into Steel Train though, saw them open for OAR at Sandstone a couple years back.  Then saw them at the Beaumont and once more in Lawrence.  Talked to Evan (bassist i think) for like an hour after the show in Westport.   Nice guys. 

Found out lastnight that Steel Train put out a new album in lJune, and shortly thereafter discovered Fun.  Needless to say, I've been having a blast listening to the two albums today.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 14, 2011, 11:08:19 PM »

Thoughts?

I thought only Jack was from Steel Train. 

I'm huge into Steel Train though, saw them open for OAR at Sandstone a couple years back.  Then saw them at the Beaumont and once more in Lawrence.  Talked to Evan (bassist i think) for like an hour after the show in Westport.   Nice guys. 

Found out lastnight that Steel Train put out a new album in lJune, and shortly thereafter discovered Fun.  Needless to say, I've been having a blast listening to the two albums today.

Evan was playing for them last I heard. That was a while ago though, so maybe it changed. The new album is pretty hit or miss for me. Every song on "Trampoline" was distinct in some way, but I felt like the new one had less distinctive songs. The first three are incredible though. Still like the album as a whole, just not as much as "Trampoline".

Did you see them at Jackpot when they came to Lawrence?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 14, 2011, 11:14:54 PM »
Evan was playing for them last I heard. That was a while ago though, so maybe it changed. The new album is pretty hit or miss for me. Every song on "Trampoline" was distinct in some way, but I felt like the new one had less distinctive songs. The first three are incredible though. Still like the album as a whole, just not as much as "Trampoline".

Did you see them at Jackpot when they came to Lawrence?
Yeah I think I saw them at the Jackpot. Little hole in the wall.

I gotta say, you took the words right out of my mouth.  Definitely hit or miss.  The whole band is, really.  Love some of the stuff they do, but even on Trampoline, I didn't really care for "A Magazine" or "School is for Losers."  Just a little too out there for me, but the stuff they "hit" on for me, I just can't get enough of. 

On the new one, yeah the first three are great, the last one, fall asleep, is incredible too. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 14, 2011, 11:25:19 PM »
Yeah I think I saw them at the Jackpot. Little hole in the wall.

I gotta say, you took the words right out of my mouth.  Definitely hit or miss.  The whole band is, really.  Love some of the stuff they do, but even on Trampoline, I didn't really care for "A Magazine" or "School is for Losers."  Just a little too out there for me, but the stuff they "hit" on for me, I just can't get enough of. 

On the new one, yeah the first three are great, the last one, fall asleep, is incredible too. 

Forgot about the last one. The reason I like "A Magazine" is because when they play it live I almost jizzed at how excited they were about it.

If you saw them at Jackpot then you saw Dear and The Headlights. They put out one of the top 5 albums I've ever heard in "Small Steps, Heavy Hooves". Definitely check that one out next time you need a new band to listen to.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 16, 2011, 01:34:48 PM »
If anyone can find me the new Tapes N Tapes album to download on a torrent site. That would be emawsome.

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 19, 2011, 06:22:16 AM »
Some new Cudi being featured w/ Bryan Greenberg: http://datnewcudi.com/2011/01/14/bryan-greenberg-feat-kid-cudi-you-can-run/

Oldie, but still under appreciated, Manic Street Preachers. They sound like an Indie U2 band IMO.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 28, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »

Offline kstatefreak42

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 30, 2011, 09:35:20 AM »
Rakim- Its the R
Rakim- The Saga Begins
Rakim-Heat it Up
Rakim-Buffalo gets back to school
Rakim-Game of death ( FEATURING SHAQ ONEAL.)
Rakim-Everythings cool
Rakim-Livin for the city
Big L- Put it On
Big L- Devils Son
2pac-under pressure
2pac- Cold as ice.

All phenomenal songs...
EMAW

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »
flipped through the channels last night and caught the Avett Bros on Paladia...

No idea why I like 'em.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 06, 2011, 12:01:22 AM »
Cassius back again.

This is filthy.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:11 AM »

The White Stripes have disbanded.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 06, 2011, 12:24:52 AM »
Cassius back again.

This is filthy.

don't know who/what cassius is, but does he/they always sing like Alvin? because that's rough ridin' annoying.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 06, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »
Just had a listen through Sufjan Stevens new album, The Age of Adz.  Pretty brilliant.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 18, 2011, 08:18:48 AM »
N e w R a d i o h e a d

yes plz.

the album is also available for download today.

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:32 AM »
During the ESPN commercial "It's Not Crazy, It's Sports" what song is playing when they show a compilation of coaches that included Frank Martin? 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »
During the ESPN commercial "It's Not Crazy, It's Sports" what song is playing when they show a compilation of coaches that included Frank Martin? 

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2011, 04:30:32 PM »
N e w R a d i o h e a d

yes plz.

So, what do you think?

The percussive Burial, Flying Lotus, Four Tet influences are showing through on the first half.  The back half is almost a completely different album.

Pretty quiet and unassuming.  It'll grow on me like all of their work, but this feels like more of an EP as a precursor to something else...or a side project like the Eraser...

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 20, 2011, 06:50:55 PM »
N e w R a d i o h e a d

yes plz.

So, what do you think?

The percussive Burial, Flying Lotus, Four Tet influences are showing through on the first half.  The back half is almost a completely different album.

Pretty quiet and unassuming.  It'll grow on me like all of their work, but this feels like more of an EP as a precursor to something else...or a side project like the Eraser...

pretty good review. thats almost exactly how i feel about it, and exactly how i feel about every radiohead album, when you are talking about growth.

you could definitively recognize the electronic influences with the first 5 songs. Feral is obviously their attempt at the new world of english dub ala actress or burial. the first two songs, musically, could have been songs found on Four Tet's "Rounds."

the vocals on lotus flower are incredible and codex is pretty amazing lyrically. i think its a great little album, but am disappointed that it is 37 min. however, i find myself playing it over and over in my head and I can't get it out. can only hope they put out a part 2 or something the like.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 20, 2011, 06:59:40 PM »
Disappointed by its length at first (that's what she said), but it seems pretty solid so far.  Definitely agree with the idea of the two halves being totally different.  Lotus Flower makes me  :drool:

Was almost hoping it would be an Amnesiac-type release, but reading things seems to lead towards them not wanting to do a traditional-length album.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 20, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
It'll be pretty interesting to see where they go with this album in their live performances, which is where I've always found Radiohead's true ingenious to reside.

Often times, espcially in their later work, they'll completely reinvent these songs live.  Spinning Plates is one of my favorite songs of all time and the live version is completely different from the album version. 

Amnesiac version: 

Live: 

The way Thom Yorke completely reinterpreted The Eraser through the live performances he did with Atoms For Peace was brilliant.

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 20, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »

T-Y MichiganCat!  :ksu:

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2011, 12:16:57 AM »

T-Y MichiganCat!  :ksu:

Here's the Wale remix of that song, too, in case you're interested: