Author Topic: Will UNC make the tournament this year?  (Read 9728 times)

Offline weird roberts foam finger

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Will UNC make the tournament this year?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
Will the ku fans on this board start calling us grapes more often?  I like it, very witty imo.

my cousin always refers to us as grapes. i always call ku, ku. i need to step my game up.

Blueberries?  :dunno:
"It could be best for his family for Cole to come back." -- Bill Self, NBA career killer

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-uncwoes020810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

On good nights Roy Williams says he sleeps between two and three hours. Most times, though, the North Carolina basketball coach is lucky if he gets any rest at all.

“I just lay there and look at the ceiling,” Williams said. “I’ll try to close my eyes and fall back asleep, but I can’t.”

Less than a year after he stood on a stage at Ford Field in Detroit and hoisted the national championship trophy, Williams is enduring the most difficult season of his Hall of Fame career. Sunday’s loss at Maryland dropped the Tar Heels to 13-10 overall and 2-6 in ACC play.

...All of it is taking its toll on Williams, who has literally been brought to tears by North Carolina’s recent struggles. Sitting behind his desk at the Dean Smith Center on Friday morning, a frustrated and fatigued Williams said there is only one person to blame for the Tar Heels’ shortcomings.

“I haven’t done a good job with this team,” he said. “As a coach, to say that … it’s hard. It really is.”

Williams paused as a lump swelled in this throat. He gulped and then lowered his voice as he strained to speak.

“I’ve always been very confident,” he said. “Other people can decide whether they think I’m cocky or not. Cocky is someone that looks down his nose at somebody else. I know I’ve never done that. But I’ve always been really confident in my ability to get guys to play together and to compete.

“This year has shaken my confidence a little. You start questioning your own worth to a team. You start wondering about your ability.”

...The only time Williams coached a team that didn’t earn a berth was at Kansas in 1988-89 ? his first season as a head coach. The Jayhawks were banned from postseason play that year because of improprieties that occurred under the previous staff.

Williams has been to the tournament every year since and won at least one game. That streak, it appears, is about to end.

“We knew it was going to be a fine line,” Williams said. “We knew we had a chance to be good, but we also knew there was a chance we could struggle. But never in my wildest dreams did I think we’d struggle like we are right now.”

...He said it’s becoming more and more difficult to sign Top 20-caliber players when there is already so much talent on one team.

“We got Tyler Hansbrough in 2006 when he thought Sean May and Marvin Williams would be back,” Williams said. “Luckily, that didn’t bother him. But those kinds of situations are rare.

“We’re going to take hits sometimes. In this case we didn’t get a couple of players that we wanted because we had Tyler and Danny Green and Wayne Ellington and Ty Lawson. The [recruits] were like, ‘I don’t want to come in and be a backup to those guys for two or three years.’

“People are always going to criticize and nitpick at things that they don’t understand. The bottom line is that I’ve got to coach who we have. If I make a great decision in recruiting or a bad decision in recruiting, I’ve still got to coach them.”

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 04:03:05 PM »
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-uncwoes020810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The Jayhawks were banned from postseason play that year because of improprieties that occurred under the previous staff.

:lol:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 04:07:30 PM »
...He said it’s becoming more and more difficult to sign Top 20-caliber players when there is already so much talent on one team.

“We’re going to take hits sometimes. In this case we didn’t get a couple of players that we wanted because we had Tyler and Danny Green and Wayne Ellington and Ty Lawson. The [recruits] were like, ‘I don’t want to come in and be a backup to those guys for two or three years."

he has to be joking right? seriously. he has to be joking.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 04:09:05 PM »
“People are always going to criticize and nitpick at things that they don’t understand. The bottom line is that I’ve got to coach who we have. If I make a great decision in recruiting or a bad decision in recruiting, I’ve still got to coach them.

Roy throwing his seven McDonald's All-Americans under the bus now.  LMAO. 

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »
“People are always going to criticize and nitpick at things that they don’t understand. The bottom line is that I’ve got to coach who we have. If I make a great decision in recruiting or a bad decision in recruiting, I’ve still got to coach them.

seems like he is throwing himself under the bus :dunno:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »

seems like he is throwing himself under the bus :dunno:

It's a politically correct way of saying that he'd rather be coaching better players.   

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
Update:  UNC now 14-12 overall after getting smoked on the road against Georgia Tech

:eek:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »
You guys are doing a great job of not responding to threads where your talking points get absolutely destroyed.   

:thumbsup:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 02:33:33 PM »
Validative courtesy reply.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 02:38:19 PM »
michigancat is getting really good at running and hiding when all of his powerespect talking points blow up in his face. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »
michigancat is getting really good at running and hiding when all of his powerespect talking points blow up in his face. 

don't care

:dunno:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 02:46:07 PM »

don't care

Translation:  owned

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »

don't care

Translation:  owned

:confused:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
Of course he's going to say he doesn't care... his powerespect talking point just blew up in his face. 

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Hell, Oklahoma has the same number of McDonald's All-Americans as KU does this year, and they're 13-12 overall and 4-7 in the Big 12. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
Really points out what a fantastic job Frank is doing doesn't it??  Wow . . .  :love:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 03:13:48 PM »
Of course he's going to say he doesn't care... his powerespect talking point just blew up in his face. 

his powerespect talking point was that he cared about unc's tournament chances?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 03:14:25 PM »
Really points out what a fantastic job Frank is doing doesn't it??  Wow . . .  :love:

That's funny... weren't you just bitching about him last night after that near loss to Nebraska?

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »

Quit playing dumb. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »
It was one game Ben . . . ONE game.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »

Quit playing dumb. 

i'm not.  i have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2010, 03:36:30 PM »

Quit playing dumb. 

I don't think he knows what he is talking about either.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2010, 03:40:09 PM »

Quit playing dumb. 

Put two and two together, dude....

UNC wins a national championship last year and loses four of five starters.  This year, with seven McDonald's All-Americans, they're 14-12 overall and 3-8 in the ACC.  They're struggling to make the NIT, even with seven McD's and one of the best coaches in the game.

KU wins a national championship in '08 and loses all five starters and seven total players.  Last year, with two McDonald's All-Americans, KU went 27-8 overall and 14-2 in the Big 12.  KU gets to the Sweet Sixteen as a 3-seed, losing a close game to national runner-up Michigan State.  

Meanwhile, michigancat and the rest of the herd proceed to call Bill Self a garbage coach, despite the fact that Self won the 2009 NCOY.  

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2010, 03:44:08 PM »
 :facepalm: