Author Topic: cooking  (Read 282787 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #1550 on: January 15, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
The slow warm up with the salt breaks down the proteins at an accelerated rate and makes the steak more tender and more juicy.  This isn't mine.  It's America's Test Kitchen's and it works very very well.  Setting the steak on the counter for a while really helps too. 

I set all beef out for a while, while seasoned. Helps burgers a bunch too.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: January 15, 2017, 09:56:10 PM »
Embarrassing upside down pic

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: January 15, 2017, 09:56:11 PM »
*rotates surface*
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: January 15, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: January 15, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »
I don't know much about brands TBH.  I'll buy the stuff on sale if it's there.  You can taste a bit of a difference on the cheap stuff versus more expensive oils, and the smoke point changes a bit too.  I've read a few things about there being an issue with fake olive oils because there is such a big market and markup. 
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/08/olive-oil-fake-larry-olmsted-food-fraud-usda
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: January 15, 2017, 10:01:09 PM »
My favorite for best and easiest crust is to take steaks, pat dry with paper towels, salt and pepper and sprinkle corn starch on each side, freeze for 30 minutes. Finish in oven to doneness. Delish

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: January 15, 2017, 10:57:33 PM »
audrey hepburn was so hot

california olive branch evoo is a good brand

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: January 15, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
audrey hepburn was so hot

california olive branch evoo is a good brand
What about Honda prelude bumpers?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: January 15, 2017, 11:02:34 PM »
And rams heads above doorways

The Big Train

« Reply #1559 on: January 15, 2017, 11:28:00 PM »

You have bar stools for that setup?  Assuming multi-level facing the kitchen?

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: January 15, 2017, 11:39:44 PM »

If I rearranged my set up, I could. As it is, I have a bookcase where barstools would sit.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: January 15, 2017, 11:40:39 PM »
Also that is the smaller side of the bar that actually faces my dining room. The larger side faces the living room and has the bookcase

The Big Train

« Reply #1562 on: January 15, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »

If I rearranged my set up, I could. As it is, I have a bookcase where barstools would sit.

:thumbs:

Reason I ask is I eat breakfast and come home for lunch everyday and love it. Just curious.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 15, 2017, 11:43:57 PM »
I have a very nice dining table for such affairs.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 15, 2017, 11:53:04 PM »

:dunno:

The Big Train

« Reply #1565 on: January 15, 2017, 11:55:38 PM »
I mean I wasn't asking for your whole setup, but that looks nice. :thumbs:

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 16, 2017, 12:05:34 AM »
I'm bored and love my apt. It's all gravy.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:49 AM »
Nice or not, olive oil has too low a smoke point to sear anything
:adios:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:15 AM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: January 16, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »

Not quite accurate. 
http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/blog/how-to-sear

Also the 3 types of olive oil I've mentioned all have greatly different smoke points.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 16, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »

Not quite accurate. 
http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/blog/how-to-sear

Also the 3 types of olive oil I've mentioned all have greatly different smoke points.
That's a shitty source. The entire goal of searing is to cook the outer edge as quickly without cooking the inside.  If you "sear" at 300 you are going to be cooking the interior significantly. Yes processed olive oil has a higher smoke point than EVOO, but it's still not high enough for a good sear.
:adios:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 16, 2017, 08:00:36 AM »
You should listen to 8mp and forget what you think is correct.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: January 16, 2017, 09:26:22 AM »
In all seriousness, EV olive oil should be used for dressings, pizza dough, flavoring things that are baked fairly low and that's about it.  If you're cooking with a good amount of heat, just use Virgin Olive Oil.  Oil that is smoking is never a good thing.  That said, my wife sears with it all the time.

If you want a steak with a beaut mahogany crust on it and cooked to perfection, fill up a chimney starter with charcoal(I use natural for steaks) and wait until it is white hot.(it's like a broiler on steroids. 700-900 degrees)  knock as much of the ash off as you can, and then sit that baby right over top of your steak.  1.5-2 minutes, take off, flip steak, knock ash off again, put back on steak.  1.5-2 minutes.  Check the internal temp of steak. if you want to go higher, dump the coals into your grill, and cook normal until you reach your doneness.  Since I'm usually cooking 2 steaks, I'll sear one steak, and as I take it off the first steak, set it aside, I add more charcoal to the chimney starter, and then sear the second steak. I'll dump the coals in the grill and then finish both steaks at the same time, putting the first steak closer to the coals.  2-5 minutes and they should both be medium.  may only take a minute for medium rare.  (assuming 1.5 inch thick steak, any thinner and it'll likely be done after the second sear).  I also pre-salt my steak 15-30 mins before cooking and sit on the counter.  With that high of heat, pepper(and most other spices) will turn to black charred dust.  Unless you are going for au poivre, pepper or season after cooking or at least after the sear

A new technique I've recently tried and have had really good success with is cooking with a partially frozen steak(maybe 30 min to an hour in the freezer or if you have frozen steaks let them thaw about 75% of the way).  It takes longer, but I was thrilled with the result.  You can get a great sear on the steak with minimal internal cooking.  Then cook indirectly until done (5-10 mins) ( a good way to add a tinfoil pouch of wood chips to add some smokey flavor to the steak if you're into that).  When done, I had only a couple millimeters of well done sear on the outside and the rest was perfectly medium-medium rare. (similar to a sous vide result).  It also allowed a little more time for more fat and connective tissue to render so the meat has a buttery mouth feel to it.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 16, 2017, 09:30:18 AM »
You should listen to 8mp and forget what you think is correct.
I'll trust my experience and advice that has worked well for me.  I don't put a lot of faith in people who post stuff that is totally wrong (see temps on smoke points). 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 16, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
In all seriousness, EV olive oil should be used for dressings, pizza dough, flavoring things that are baked fairly low and that's about it.  If you're cooking with a good amount of heat, just use Virgin Olive Oil.  Oil that is smoking is never a good thing.  That said, my wife sears with it all the time.

If you want a steak with a beaut mahogany crust on it and cooked to perfection, fill up a chimney starter with charcoal(I use natural for steaks) and wait until it is white hot.(it's like a broiler on steroids. 700-900 degrees)  knock as much of the ash off as you can, and then sit that baby right over top of your steak.  1.5-2 minutes, take off, flip steak, knock ash off again, put back on steak.  1.5-2 minutes.  Check the internal temp of steak. if you want to go higher, dump the coals into your grill, and cook normal until you reach your doneness.  Since I'm usually cooking 2 steaks, I'll sear one steak, and as I take it off the first steak, set it aside, I add more charcoal to the chimney starter, and then sear the second steak. I'll dump the coals in the grill and then finish both steaks at the same time, putting the first steak closer to the coals.  2-5 minutes and they should both be medium.  may only take a minute for medium rare.  (assuming 1.5 inch thick steak, any thinner and it'll likely be done after the second sear).  I also pre-salt my steak 15-30 mins before cooking and sit on the counter.  With that high of heat, pepper(and most other spices) will turn to black charred dust.  Unless you are going for au poivre, pepper or season after cooking or at least after the sear

A new technique I've recently tried and have had really good success with is cooking with a partially frozen steak(maybe 30 min to an hour in the freezer or if you have frozen steaks let them thaw about 75% of the way).  It takes longer, but I was thrilled with the result.  You can get a great sear on the steak with minimal internal cooking.  Then cook indirectly until done (5-10 mins) ( a good way to add a tinfoil pouch of wood chips to add some smokey flavor to the steak if you're into that).  When done, I had only a couple millimeters of well done sear on the outside and the rest was perfectly medium-medium rare. (similar to a sous vide result).  It also allowed a little more time for more fat and connective tissue to render so the meat has a buttery mouth feel to it.

Yeah getting cooking a grill radically changes the game. 
I'd love to work on control with lump charcoal as it seems to get so much hotter than briquettes but the control is harder from what I gather.