Author Topic: cooking  (Read 279464 times)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #950 on: November 24, 2014, 08:32:30 PM »
Hosting thanksgiving this year.  So far the dietary restrictions list for our guests include no gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and shellfish.  Also some paleo dieters.   :bang:

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 25, 2014, 04:23:33 AM »
Hosting thanksgiving this year.  So far the dietary restrictions list for our guests include no gluten, dairy, soy, eggs, and shellfish.  Also some paleo dieters.   :bang:
Woof. Get a new family.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 25, 2014, 04:48:24 AM »
If they actually have an allergy that could cause health problems, I'd understand. But if this is just cause they read about it in some blog they can eat what you cook.

As for the Paleos  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 25, 2014, 08:10:44 AM »
i'll be brining. most brine recipes cite 9 hours. is there an upper limit? does brining too long cause problems?

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »
i'll be brining. most brine recipes cite 9 hours. is there an upper limit? does brining too long cause problems?

i've heard it can cause mushy chicken

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 25, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »

You're joking

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 25, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »

don't brine if it's already injected (it probably is).

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 25, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »

i've hosted thanksgiving for around seven years now and have some wacky dietary guests also. my advice is come up with everything that you want to make and then share with them and ask if there's anything else you can add or something that could be done differently.

you'll drive yourself crazy if you do the restrictions first and then try to come up with the menu. example- my wife likes and wants to have green bean casserole (midwest thread). some of the people apparently can't eat it because of the other stuff in it, so i'll also just make some green beans without it the other stuff for them.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 25, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »

o crap

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 25, 2014, 09:01:39 AM »

o crap

this is a pretty thorough take on turkey making. it's geared towards smoking but still a good amount of info for those that won't.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: November 25, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

o crap

I've brined turkey's for the last several years.  I just get the regular kroger ones; this year $0.89/lb.  I typically brine overnight in a cooler and have had very good luck.  I've used the Alton Brown brine recipe the last few years, this time I got a premixed jar of salt and spices.  I'm way to pregnant to put in the extra work of the AB recipe this year.

I have to make desert for the big family feast; I'm planning on some pumpkin spice cupcakes and debating between a cheesecake (turtle, caramel, or pumpkin) or pumpkin sugar cookies with cream cheese icing. Thoughts?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 25, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »
I was going to do the AB recipe. I got a fresh never frozen turkey from ray ray's.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 25, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
since we're all sharing, i have two seven pound bone in breasts from target. going to smoke them both with this guy's simon/garfunkel wet rub on one and then some rudy's turkey rub on the other.  :Woohoo:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/simon_and_garfunkel_rub.html

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 25, 2014, 09:18:45 AM »
since we're all sharing, i have two seven pound bone in breasts from target. going to smoke them both with this guy's simon/garfunkel wet rub on one and then some rudy's turkey rub on the other.  :Woohoo:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/simon_and_garfunkel_rub.html

based on the length of that recipe, its got to be amazing, rowdy.

my new years resolution will be to develop a meatsmoking infrastructure and skillset

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21:11 AM »
oh, your article also just informed me that my "fresh never frozen" turkey is a bunch of hullabaloo

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:21 AM »
Not family.  All newish friends living away from family.  Maybe need to get new friends.

Turkey will be okay for all.  Everyone else instructed to bring 1 or 2 sides they can eat.  Should work out but still a pain in the ass.  On the bright side, more of my favorites for me.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 25, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »

o crap

I've brined turkey's for the last several years.  I just get the regular kroger ones; this year $0.89/lb.  I typically brine overnight in a cooler and have had very good luck.  I've used the Alton Brown brine recipe the last few years, this time I got a premixed jar of salt and spices.  I'm way to pregnant to put in the extra work of the AB recipe this year.

I have to make desert for the big family feast; I'm planning on some pumpkin spice cupcakes and debating between a cheesecake (turtle, caramel, or pumpkin) or pumpkin sugar cookies with cream cheese icing. Thoughts?

my wife made some pumkin cheesecake shots (single serving decorative plastic cups with mini spoons) with a graham cracker crust that were off the chain.  do those.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 02, 2014, 01:41:29 PM »
one thing that I did that I just remembered to share with you guys was that I made a turkey skin burrito with thanksgiving inside.

recipe: grab a fistful of crispy delicious turkey skin then layer in mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, TURKEY Meat, anything else you want, and roll up into a skin burrito and go to town. c'est magnifique!

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 02, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
one thing that I did that I just remembered to share with you guys was that I made a turkey skin burrito with thanksgiving inside.

recipe: grab a fistful of crispy delicious turkey skin then layer in mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, TURKEY Meat, anything else you want, and roll up into a skin burrito and go to town. c'est magnifique!

How was the turkey prepared to produce the optimum skin?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 02, 2014, 01:47:16 PM »

How was the turkey prepared to produce the optimum skin?

the alton brown method. slather with oil and sear in a 500 deg oven before covering the breast with foil and turning down to roasting temp.

everything except the underside had perfect skin.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 02, 2014, 03:26:45 PM »
Spicy peanut pork and rice:

2 pork chops, baked and diced
1 cup (pre-cooking) rice
1 bag Birdseye stir fry onions and peppers

Peanut sauce:
1/2 C Jif creamy PB
1 C water
2 cloves garlic
1 red Chile pepper (incl. seeds)
Cayenne pepper to taste
1 T Worcestershire sauce

Cooked in skillet on low until sauce turns a darker brown.

Combine all ingredients in casserole dish, mix well and finish in oven for 10 minutes
:adios:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 06, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »
made a smoked prime rib & roasted garlic clove poutine tonight.  it was pretty delish for my 1st time but next time i will thicken the gravy a tad more.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 07, 2015, 09:28:12 AM »
oh momma!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 07, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
i cant wait to punch the first person that comes in here and calls that "soggy"

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 07, 2015, 10:04:06 AM »
looks soggy
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.