Author Topic: cooking  (Read 279325 times)

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #600 on: April 12, 2014, 11:00:17 PM »
Nice.  Pretty good supplemental.

especially when you add in the 25% they gave me.  i guess they were well pleased as i only set up and tore down.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 13, 2014, 12:11:05 AM »
AST what price range does that run? Asking for a friend
just over $1000

Jeez.   $15 a person seems very reasonable.   You could have quoted quite a bit more and I wouldn't have flinched.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 13, 2014, 03:13:06 AM »
Prime sirloin wrapped asparagus?

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 13, 2014, 04:07:59 AM »

I assume he grilled them so the steak would be perfectly cooked at the same time as the asparagus.   I'm fully torqued just thinking about it.    :excited:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 13, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »
AST what price range does that run? Asking for a friend
just over $1000

Jeez.   $15 a person seems very reasonable.   You could have quoted quite a bit more and I wouldn't have flinched.

i gave them a pretty good deal as only 1 of the 65 had ever had my food before.  i wanted them to enjoy it and have plenty of food.  all 30 of the business cards i left were gone when i arrived to clean up so i believe mission accomplished.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 13, 2014, 08:02:12 AM »
Hey there, Cat Fans. (Mainly @asava and @AST.) Always nice to be posting in a thread started by fff.

Two items to throw out there. When responding, take into account that my cooking skills/adventurousness are much more asava than TTHOTUC*.

1) The WonderMeals are having a bunch of people over for Easter, including several vegans. (No hur hur hur jokes, please.) We'd like to cook something for them that is both delicious and also real food (no "vegan ham" or whatever). Throw out your best vegan recipes ITT!

2) I have made this year The Year of Chipotle Peppers in the WM house. Put your best recipes for featuring chipotle right here.

*No offense, TTHOTUC. Your Hot Pockets sound outstanding.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 13, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »
Hey there, Cat Fans. (Mainly @asava and @AST.) Always nice to be posting in a thread started by fff.

Two items to throw out there. When responding, take into account that my cooking skills/adventurousness are much more asava than TTHOTUC*.

1) The WonderMeals are having a bunch of people over for Easter, including several vegans. (No hur hur hur jokes, please.) We'd like to cook something for them that is both delicious and also real food (no "vegan ham" or whatever). Throw out your best vegan recipes ITT!

2) I have made this year The Year of Chipotle Peppers in the WM house. Put your best recipes for featuring chipotle right here.

With the vegans I know, I start with a hummus dip or guac.  They are actually good, will be inclusive to everyone, and don't require a lot of weird stuff to make vegan.  Should give them something to fill up on a bit if the vegan entrees don't turn out.  I love cajun food so occasionally I will do a red beans and rice as well.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 13, 2014, 08:41:15 PM »

1. i am lost with vegan fare, sorry no help

2. my only experience with chipotle is with powdered spice or canned for an enchilada sauce i am ashamed to say.  please keep us up to date on your chipotle cooking experiences as i know i am looking forward to learning from you

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 13, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »

this is an easy one and you'll look like a freaking stud to that filly you are chasing or done caught

shave/thin slice ribeye or sirloin off a roast like you would for a cheesesteak
wrap asparagus 1.5-2 times, firmly smashing the beef in place
marinate for 1 hour in 2 part balsamic, 1 part soy, 1 part worester, 1 part lemon juice
remove from marinade and sprinkle w/ s&p
either grill or bake @350 in a glass dish brushed with evoo
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:59:22 PM by alexander supertramp »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 14, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
slow cooking some bbq chicken this evening.  should be ready when i wake up tomorrow, and going to enjoy 4 lunch.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 14, 2014, 08:10:01 AM »
I don't understand why vegan is such a dirty word in most parts of the country.  I mean, it's basically been proven to be the superior diet for humans. 

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:12 AM »
I don't understand why vegan is such a dirty word in most parts of the country.  I mean, it's basically been proven to be the superior diet for humans. 
Who proved that?  Just because its popular amongst some lay about celebrities, doesn't make it a good idea.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 14, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
I don't think Vegan is a dirty word.  That said, I just don't know exactly the rules.  Is that no meat or any animal products, or do they eat fish, milk, eggs, cheese?  I have never cooked a meal to be intentionally vegan.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 14, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »
Vegan is not the best diet. That's just absurd.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 14, 2014, 10:34:17 AM »

With the vegans I know, I start with a hummus dip or guac.  They are actually good, will be inclusive to everyone, and don't require a lot of weird stuff to make vegan.  Should give them something to fill up on a bit if the vegan entrees don't turn out.  I love cajun food so occasionally I will do a red beans and rice as well.

ChiCat has the right idea here. Hummus, guac, wild rice, etc. I will be completely honest, i don't think I've ever made a straight up vegan meal before. A few sides here and there, but never really thought about doing a full meal. I could think of a few really easy tacos that you could make:

Charred peppers and onions; black beans and lime; spanish rice...

Maybe also a soup, either gazpacho/red pepper or vichyssoise (gonna have to find a cream substitute for that though).

Would be interested to see what you come up with. I'll give it some more thought and maybe come up with a few things.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2014, 11:09:08 AM »
Vegan really isn't very complicated, and really, that's the point.  I think a better, less-stigmatized term for the same thing is "plant-based diet."  The latter term is also self-descriptive, and it's a good way to think about preparing foods for vegans to eat.  If it is made from or derived from animals or animal products, don't use it to prepare your food.  This includes eggs, milk (and cheese, by extension) and fish (fish are not plants).  There are plenty of great foods you can prepare using only fruits, vegetables, grains, beans, herbs, spices, etc.

Using animal protein as a primary player in your diet tends to leave your body in an overly acidic state and leads to chronic inflammatory conditions. 

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 14, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
Some really well made bread w/ olive oil and balsamic probably goes a LONG way in vegan flavor town.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 14, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »
Some really well made bread w/ olive oil and balsamic probably goes a LONG way in vegan flavor town.

Yup, some simple elegance like that can straight knock your taste buds out of bounds!

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 14, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »
Real talk: do you think Guy Fieri has ever made a vegan dish?

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 14, 2014, 11:21:40 AM »

bread = butter/milk/egg

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 14, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »

bread = butter/milk/egg

No, not really

flour + water = dough

dough + heat = bread

everything else is flavor/texture.

Yes, many breads contain milk and eggs, but it's hardly ubiquitous.  Most french bread is vegan.  There is an old adage in the Gastronomique that translates roughly to "only those who do not know how to cook use milk and eggs to make bread."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 14, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »
what about yeast in bread? do monocelluar organisms deserve vegan protections?

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 14, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »

bread = butter/milk/egg

No, not really

flour + water = dough

dough + heat = bread

everything else is flavor/texture.

Yes, many breads contain milk and eggs, but it's hardly ubiquitous.  Most french bread is vegan.  There is an old adage in the Gastronomique that translates roughly to "only those who do not know how to cook use milk and eggs to make bread."

very true. there are plenty of breads that can be made without the use of milk and eggs, and they are all delicious.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 14, 2014, 11:35:02 AM »
what about yeast in bread? do monocelluar organisms deserve vegan protections?

Don't be so psyllium.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 14, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »
Vegan sounds fine to me, but I couldn't do it more than a day or two at a time. 

Breakfast would suck, though.