Author Topic: cooking  (Read 279416 times)

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: cooking
« Reply #425 on: March 05, 2014, 09:30:34 AM »
guys what if I don't want to buy a sharp knife because im afraid ill cut my fingers off?

A dull knife is more dangerous to your fingers than a sharp one.  Mull that one over and get back to us when your mind has unblown itself.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 05, 2014, 09:33:36 AM »
guys what if I don't want to buy a sharp knife because im afraid ill cut my fingers off?

A dull knife is more dangerous to your fingers than a sharp one.  Mull that one over and get back to us when your mind has unblown itself.

see that's what ive been hearing and guess what? I don't believe it. not one bit. sure, it would slide through veggies and stuff a lot easier but it would also slide through my fingers a lot easier. ive had a few times where ive cut myself with a knife and just had a little cut and thought "wow if I was using one of asavas super knives my finger would be gonzo!" pretty sure that saying was invented by Big Knife Co, Inc. just to get you to buy new knives every year.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 05, 2014, 09:43:36 AM »
my wife went ape crap with our registry at pampered chef. very meh about most of it but i did get two things everyone should own and if you dont you are dumb

1. meat grinder

2. stone baking flats

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 05, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »

see that's what ive been hearing and guess what? I don't believe it. not one bit. sure, it would slide through veggies and stuff a lot easier but it would also slide through my fingers a lot easier. ive had a few times where ive cut myself with a knife and just had a little cut and thought "wow if I was using one of asavas super knives my finger would be gonzo!" pretty sure that saying was invented by Big Knife Co, Inc. just to get you to buy new knives every year.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:12 AM »
I had a meat grinder and threw it away.

dull knives will scar you  Sharp knives will cut your finger off.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 05, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »
henckels, wusthoff and oneida? what is this some older active's apt across the street from my frat? what is this show and tell in mrs anderson woodrow wilson third grad class. what is this the cutlery aisle at the mhk goodwill? what is this a poor clueless person knife party and i accidently got an invitation. what is this a message board for people that like to cut food really poorly?

guess you guys don't care about good knives around here in this place.

sounds like we have a sintered knife fan in the house. 

regardless.  if any of you are buying 440A grade steel knives i will literally kick your ass.  at least 440C grade or go home.  preferably go with S30V stainless steel. or VG10 like the japanese are using. 

also remember to stick with steel with > .95% carbon & chromium, otherwise rust city usa and i will literally kick your ass.

also, if anyone is buying knives that are tempered to about 56 RC (Rockwell hardness scale), i will literally kick your ass.  i expect everyone here to be @ > 59 RC.

gmafb. just wipe your knife off, ya dummy.

forged steel is important. You will need to actually sharpen it with more than the steel honing rod from time to time but it will then last forever (not actually forever but a long damn time). there are a lot of places that will sharpen it for you for cheap. sur la table does it. ace hardwares sometimes do it.

there are actually some decent stamped knives out there. a lot of pro kitchens use them.

I'm interested in a new chef's knife. What should I get? Keep in mind I have no idea what I have now and I only sharpen it every now and then with a rod and I'm mostly OK with it.

It really is gonna depend on how much you want to spend on it. if you are in the wusthof and zwilling range then you should also consider Globe. I'd probably take Globe over those other two, but you should find a knife with a weight and balance that feels comfortable to you. I'd stay away from brands like Calphalon (a company that primarily specializes in cookware, rather than knives), but they can provide a decent cheaper option if that is what fits your budget. My first santoku knife was from them (katana series). I still have it, and it sharpens well.

That being said, I've bought a few knives "inspired by" or "modeled after" traditional japanese knife making methods, and there just is no comparison to the real deal. They can get ridiculously expensive, but there are some that float around the same price range as higher end Globes, Wusthofs or Zwilling.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/category/13167/chef-gyuto.aspx

They will last you forever and keep a phenomenal edge. You could also consider a santoku knife instead of a chefs knife. For the most part a santoku style knife will do what most people in the kitchen do on a day to day basis.

If I were you, I'd just head down to Bernal Cutlery and check out the different stuff for weight, price, balance, type, etc...

As far as sharpening goes, it really is not a tough skill to learn, and, if anything, you can take it to a pro every couple of months to get it back into top shape.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
my wife went ape crap with our registry at pampered chef. very meh about most of it but i did get two things everyone should own and if you dont you are dumb

1. meat grinder

2. stone baking flats

Agreed.....these are both very good.
@mikec2w

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 05, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
I'm interested in a new chef's knife. What should I get? Keep in mind I have no idea what I have now and I only sharpen it every now and then with a rod and I'm mostly OK with it.

It really is gonna depend on how much you want to spend on it. if you are in the wusthof and zwilling range then you should also consider Globe. I'd probably take Globe over those other two, but you should find a knife with a weight and balance that feels comfortable to you. I'd stay away from brands like Calphalon (a company that primarily specializes in cookware, rather than knives), but they can provide a decent cheaper option if that is what fits your budget. My first santoku knife was from them (katana series). I still have it, and it sharpens well.

That being said, I've bought a few knives "inspired by" or "modeled after" traditional japanese knife making methods, and there just is no comparison to the real deal. They can get ridiculously expensive, but there are some that float around the same price range as higher end Globes, Wusthofs or Zwilling.

They will last you forever and keep a phenomenal edge. You could also consider a santoku knife instead of a chefs knife. For the most part a santoku style knife will do what most people in the kitchen do on a day to day basis.

If I were you, I'd just head down to Bernal Cutlery and check out the different stuff for weight, price, balance, type, etc...

As far as sharpening goes, it really is not a tough skill to learn, and, if anything, you can take it to a pro every couple of months to get it back into top shape.

I'd really like to spend less than $100.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 05, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
Anyone have any experience with ceramic knives?

Became very intrigued when I was looking at ceramic sharpening rods for my Globals (Globes?).

Might be something to consider, mi-cat.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Revolution-Series-Paring-Santoku/dp/B000KU7I50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394059687&sr=8-3&keywords=kyocera+ceramic

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
cooking
« Reply #434 on: March 05, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
Cutco or bust

The Big Train

« Reply #435 on: March 05, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »
Anyone have any experience with ceramic knives?

Became very intrigued when I was looking at ceramic sharpening rods for my Globals (Globes?).

Might be something to consider, mi-cat.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-Revolution-Series-Paring-Santoku/dp/B000KU7I50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394059687&sr=8-3&keywords=kyocera+ceramic

Doesn't Kyocera make really shitty phones? sorry johnny wichita

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 05, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »

this is right. I messed up.  :facepalm:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 05, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »

I'd really like to spend less than $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Global-G-2-Chefs-Kitchen-Knife-Gyuto-Blade-8-inch-200mm-Stainless-Steel-Blade-G2-/191048515849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7b610109

:dunno:

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 05, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
chicken fried venison w/ pan dripping gravy for dinner tonite.  cardiac event incoming

The Big Train

« Reply #439 on: March 05, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »
That looks very good. AST, have you ever considered being a chef part time or even opening up your own restaurant? serious question.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 05, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
Venison....barfison

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 05, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
Venison....barfison

well that's just like your opinion man

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 05, 2014, 07:20:02 PM »
venison?  more like diarrheason

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 05, 2014, 07:21:54 PM »
Made a venison steak the other week and have been craving it ever since.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 05, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
I find the deer to be the most nails of the hooved edibles.   
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 05, 2014, 07:37:15 PM »
You guys ever backstrap? I would consider deer hunting just for a bite o that.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 05, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »
You guys ever backstrap? I would consider deer hunting just for a bite o that.

love me some backstrap

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 05, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »
Fried pork cutlets made gravy was elite.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 05, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
My deer has been rough ridin' unbelievable.   And I tolerate pheasants and quail. 

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The Big Train

« Reply #449 on: March 05, 2014, 10:58:51 PM »
That looks very good. AST, have you ever considered being a chef part time or even opening up your own restaurant? serious question.

:impatient: