Author Topic: Who likes to pay higher insurance premiums because others are dumb?  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Chancellor Gray-Little says pay up...

By MARÁ ROSE WILLIAMS
The Kansas City Star
 TOPEKA | The University of Kansas is revising how sports tickets will be divvied up, bought and sold — and the new system will include more safeguards to prevent the kind of fraud uncovered this spring.

Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little on Thursday promised the Kansas Board of Regents more transparency in KU’s points system that dictates which donors get the best seats at sporting events.

Although some call the system flawed and argue to junk it, she responded: “I think it is responsible, and it is here to stay.”

Gray-Little reviewed a list of reforms in a restructured system — the hiring of a forensic auditor, a fraud hot line and more employees to spread out duties — that should be in place “within the next three months.”

All tickets will be monitored from the point of printing through their sale, she said, and formal requests for complimentary tickets and “who is selling to whom” will be documented.

A large diagram will be displayed publicly, showing what seats have been assigned and which ones are still open. The diagram also will show the minimal level of points needed to get seats in certain areas.

“I think she is making good progress, but obviously this is something that isn’t going to get fixed overnight,” regent Ed McKechnie said Thursday.

Over several years, thousands of basketball and football tickets were sold for personal gain, costing KU nearly $3 million, auditors estimate. Five employees of Kansas Athletics Inc. were involved, according to an internal investigation. None of them still works for Kansas Athletics.

Investigations by the U.S. attorney and other agencies continue.

In addition to taking steps to safeguard the ticketing process against further fraud, Gray-Little said, “we are reviewing other legal options, including filing civil litigation against the perpetrators, and have filed notice of a claim with our insurers to recover as much of the loss as we can.”

In the meantime, a fraud hot line has been set up for KU employees, students and alumni. In addition, a forensic auditor will supplement regular audits done on the athletics department, and ticket-sales duties will be segregated to build in safeguards.

Some donors were outraged when they found that good seats were being occupied by fans who had obtained their tickets through other channels. KU’s points system was established in 2004 by athletic director Lew Perkins. It rewards donors points for their support of KU athletics — more points yield better tickets.

Perkins’ announced resignation for next year did not come up at the regents meeting, other than a question of how the search was going for his replacement.

On Wednesday, Gray-Little underwent her annual evaluation in a closed meeting. What was discussed was not disclosed. But regents Thursday praised Gray-Little’s handling of the ticket scandal inherited when she became KU’s 17th chancellor nearly a year ago.

Said one regent, Jarold Boettchern: “There is a very good level of comfort with her level of awareness about the seriousness of this situation.

“She is committed to do something about it quickly. Sure, there are a lot of regrets. But if you have a problem, you fix it and fast. I really think she is doing just that.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/06/24/2042607/ku-is-overhauling-system-for-distributing.html#ixzz0ruoyRz4a

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Who likes to pay higher insurance premiums because others are dumb?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
Why havent we tried to make our insurance pay for the Prince fiasco?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:58:44 PM »

Still time.  BSAC?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:02:35 PM »
i'm going to take everything from my house and sell it in one giant garage sale and then file an insurance claim.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »

Still time.  BSAC?

I figure I already know the answer but is KSU not going with him on this thing?  Seems like he could have Prince giving most of his salary back along with a heartfelt apology in a couple of weeks

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 08:11:24 PM »
i'm going to take everything from my house and sell it in one giant garage sale and then file an insurance claim.

My wife sold a bug guard from the garage I was going to install on my new sled.  I will file a claim on Monday.

and Chi, BSAC is too expensive for any school but Texas, and he won't rep Texas because of the CTR.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:21:04 AM »
pro bono?      :pray:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:20:44 AM »
Criminal activity taking place under the management structure of kansas University . . . lets file an insurance claim.

That's our ku.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
Criminal activity taking place under the management structure of kansas University . . . lets file an insurance claim.

That's our ku.

ku has never met a scam they weren't willing to try and run.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 11:15:18 PM »

That's our ku.

While it's perfectly understandable that an entity might have loss insurance covering employee fraud . . . the little issue here is that the DOJ/FBI/IRS is still investigating this thing . . . so I doubt any insurance company worth a damn is going to pay a dime until those reports come out.    It has been proven on any reputable level (and no, ku's internal investigation isn't reputable on any level) that this was just an isolated little group of people running a scam.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »

That's our ku.

While it's perfectly understandable that an entity might have loss insurance covering employee fraud . . . the little issue here is that the DOJ/FBI/IRS is still investigating this thing . . . so I doubt any insurance company worth a damn is going to pay a dime until those reports come out.    It has been proven on any reputable level (and no, ku's internal investigation isn't reputable on any level) that this was just an isolated little group of people running a scam.

Then they'll just have the Insurance company's fraud department investigating them.  Horrible decision.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »

That's our ku.

Then they'll just have the Insurance company's fraud department investigating them.  Horrible decision.

This.  They will dig in for a $3million claim.  It's obvious Gray-Little believes Lew didn't know, so she green lighted turning it in.  But Lew knew.  And you can't make an insurance claim on loss you caused.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
Wow, Lew may be making his escape to Florida much sooner than I anticipated.

The Department of Justice, The Internal Revenue Service, and now an internal insurance fraud division performing an investigation of the ku athletic department.  No way this dude sticks around until next September, even if it means leaving his $600,000 bonus at the door.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 01:33:24 PM »

That's our ku.

This.  They will dig in for a $3million claim.  It's obvious Gray-Little believes Lew didn't know, so she green lighted turning it in.  But Lew knew.  And you can't make an insurance claim on loss you caused.

in the biz we call them intentional torts
emaw

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 02:49:31 PM »
As an alum I'm thinking of calling the hotline, any suggestions for what I should complain about?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
As an alum I'm thinking of calling the hotline, any suggestions for what I should complain about?

Your football, baseball, track, volleyball and women's basketball teams.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »

And the track around the football field.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 12:52:40 PM »

That's our ku.

Disagree.  The insurance company has some skin in the claim, and will dig deep.  I' love for someone to dig deep into that sewer, and have a scam backfire in ku's face.

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »

And the track around the football field.

I think I'll complain about the leatherette seats in the endzone...they need port-a-potties close so I don't have mingle with those that got in for free (that is assuming I would pay to walk across the track to sit that section, or any section for that matter). 

I'm also pi$$3d that they took out the parking lot on the north side of the union for the Jr HS to practice football and to hold mini-circuses on Saturdays -- at least I'm assuming those tents are for the circus.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 07:35:03 PM »

That's our ku.

Disagree.  The insurance company has some skin in the claim, and will dig deep.  I' love for someone to dig deep into that sewer, and have a scam backfire in ku's face.

Weird that you disagreed with me, but explained in further detail the exact thing I said.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 09:14:59 PM »

That's our ku.

Weird that you disagreed with me, but explained in further detail the exact thing I said.

I was wondering about that.... :confused:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »

That's our ku.

I was wondering about that.... :confused:

i wondered too. then i quickly assumed that he misread something. snooze alert do0dos.

Offline iCat Pro

• Fan
  • some say... he only eats pickled vegetables
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »

The Super Pretzels in Lawrence are always soggy like they were left in a puddle over night.  And the stale corn chips to nacho cheese ratio is way too high.  Need more nacho cheese.  In all seriousness, someone should probably check with Roger Morningstar to see if there has been some sort of ongoing scam in which nacho cheese is stolen from KU concession stands and re-sold for personal profit. 

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2010, 01:06:56 PM »

That's our ku.

Sorry...read it to mean the insurance investigators would simply be annonying, but not effective.  I think they would be both, but you didn't post anything to imply they wouldn't be. My bad.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
what I said was that it is a horrible decision by them to file an insurance claim, cause they'll now have an insurance companie's fraud department investigating them also.