Author Topic: Kansas State TV Network?  (Read 6974 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kansas State TV Network?
« on: June 23, 2010, 04:27:58 PM »
http://www.kansas.com/2010/06/23/1373028/k-states-currie-ponders-tv-possibilities.html

Kansas State's Currie ponders TV possibilities
Comments (6)
Recommend (3)
BY KELLIS ROBINETT
The Wichita Eagle

MANHATTAN — In early May, before talk of conference realignment had gone mainstream, Kansas State athletic director John Currie expressed interest in distributing every Wildcat sporting event to a national audience.

He offered little detail, but threw out ideas such as streaming live video of volleyball games on the school's athletic website. He also envisioned a widespread radio feed allowing K-State fans to listen to baseball games on their smart phones.

Fast forward a month, and K-State finds itself in a 10-team Big 12 that allows its members to launch individual TV networks. Suddenly, Currie can think beyond the Internet.

In coming years, K-State fans could be tuning into a Wildcat cable channel. Though no network is currently being planned, Currie said it is an intriguing possibility.

"As we've talked about throughout this year, we're going to continue to work hard to figure out how to deliver K-State to our people, wherever they are," Currie said.

Currie thinks the first priority will always be getting football and men's basketball games on TV via ESPN, ABC and Fox Sports Net, the Big 12's television partners.

K-State football will play at least one game on all three networks this season. It's unlikely matchups against Missouri State, Central Florida and North Texas will be found anywhere other than radio.

A personalized network would give those games a home. Everything from women's basketball games to track meets could be televised on the same channel.

The Big Ten Network, which televises conference sports of all kinds on its channels, is popular and a cash machine. University-specific networks, designed on the same model, could also be successful.

Should K-State desire a more diverse lineup and sharing of the start-up costs, the Wildcats could team up with Kansas as they did throughout the conference realignment process to create a network that serves the entire state. Currie said he would not rule out such a partnership.

Should a K-State TV network ever move past the idea stage, it will be a priority for Currie.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/06/23/1373028/k-states-currie-ponders-tv-possibilities.html#ixzz0riKKmHby

:surprised: :runaway: :surprised: :runaway: :surprised: :runaway: :surprised: :runaway: :surprised: :runaway: :surprised: :runaway: :surprised: :runaway:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas State TV Network?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
i'm beginning to see a pattern between currie and intriguing possibilities.  hopefully he has a "right hand man" around to tell him that it's his job to turn intriguing possibilities into actual realities.

and a k-state television network would be really bad television. unless they started producing tv shows that revolve around the goings on in our athletic dept. 

--the real coaches of riley county

--the bachelorette (highlighting deb patterson's quest for luv)

--deadliest catch (or shake)

others? 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
Seems like they could do some really crappy internet stream at least. Don't they do that for some bball and baseball games anyway? Wouldn't think it would cost that much and they could just charge $5-$10 for each game you watch.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:46:55 PM »
i'm beginning to see a pattern between currie and intriguing possibilities.  hopefully he has a "right hand man" around to tell him that it's his job to turn intriguing possibilities into actual realities.

and a k-state television network would be really bad television. unless they started producing tv shows that revolve around the goings on in our athletic dept. 

others? 

Who wants to be a 420'te-aire?

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 06:21:06 PM »
We are americas team.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:31:04 PM »
The Big 10 is horrible programming 95% of the time.  I mean, it's like student run A LOT.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »

others? 

The Real World (put our bball team in a house with some hot broads)

The Apprentice (For HCIW status > Sean Snyder wins)

Could also put Deb on some Sunday morning Televangelist show

Sugar Dick

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »
The Big 10 is horrible programming 95% of the time.  I mean, it's like student run A LOT.

I concur, except I'd use 100% as my figure

Big 10 =  :flush:

Me watching reruns of K-State basketball games on a Tuesday night in July =  :cool:

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »

I concur, except I'd use 100% as my figure

Big 10 =  :flush:

Me watching reruns of K-State basketball games on a Tuesday night in July =  :cool:
I'd rather watch DOD reruns...but whatever
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »
So wait ...

Nobody attends women's hoops game. Bramlage is routinely 75% empty.
Nobody attends women's volleyball matches. Ahearn seats about 2,500 people and the only time it's ever full is when Nebraska comes to town.
Nobody gives a crap about college baseball unless the team is doing well and they have a chance at going to the College World Series. Even then nobody actually cares about college baseball.
LOL @ rowing, men's and women's golf, equestrian and track/field.

How the hell are you going to sell advertising for that crap?

K-State needs to take baby steps. Try to fill the seats at a football game without selling tickets for $20. Try to get 40,000 fans to the neutral field game at Arrowhead against Iowa State. Fill the Sprint Center for the men's hoops game. Have someone other than immediate family attend a rowing (meet?) or an equestrian (match?)

I don't know. Currie is smarter than I am. Maybe it could work?  :confused:

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
-The early night show with John Currie
-Big Brother with LHC Bill Snyder as the host(could get confusing)
-The Apprentice starring Bob Krause

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
So wait ...

Nobody attends women's hoops game. Bramlage is routinely 75% empty.
Nobody attends women's volleyball matches. Ahearn seats about 2,500 people and the only time it's ever full is when Nebraska comes to town.
Nobody gives a crap about college baseball unless the team is doing well and they have a chance at going to the College World Series. Even then nobody actually cares about college baseball.
LOL @ rowing, men's and women's golf, equestrian and track/field.

How the hell are you going to sell advertising for that crap?

K-State needs to take baby steps. Try to fill the seats at a football game without selling tickets for $20. Try to get 40,000 fans to the neutral field game at Arrowhead against Iowa State. Fill the Sprint Center for the men's hoops game. Have someone other than immediate family attend a rowing (meet?) or an equestrian (match?)

I don't know. Currie is smarter than I am. Maybe it could work?  :confused:
I'd watch all those things.  Can't drive from T-Town to watch the Lady Cats on a regular basis. :(
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »

They can't even come up with a good halftime contest at hoops games.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
I'd watch all those things.  Can't drive from T-Town to watch the Lady Cats on a regular basis. :(

I'm just saying, attendance is usually an indicator of demand. There is absolutely zero demand for any sport other than football and men's basketball. Seems foolish to launch a network just to accommodate the equestrian parents who want to watch their daughters ride around on horses.

What percentage of K-State grads don't have access to men's basketball and football already?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
I'd watch all those things.  Can't drive from T-Town to watch the Lady Cats on a regular basis. :(

I'm just saying, attendance is usually an indicator of demand. There is absolutely zero demand for any sport other than football and men's basketball. Seems foolish to launch a network just to accommodate the equestrian parents who want to watch their daughters ride around on horses.

What percentage of K-State grads don't have access to men's basketball and football already?

For a lot of football games, 100% don't have access to TV.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »
I'd watch all those things.  Can't drive from T-Town to watch the Lady Cats on a regular basis. :(

For a lot of football games, 100% don't have access to TV.

Good point. Forgot about that.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »
i'm beginning to see a pattern between currie and intriguing possibilities.  hopefully he has a "right hand man" around to tell him that it's his job to turn intriguing possibilities into actual realities.

others?  

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=2591.msg42445#msg42445

Offline AzCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 09:46:43 PM »
I don't know. Currie is smarter than I am. Maybe it could work?  :confused:

No.  At least not for KSU alone.  If KSU, KU & MU took a shot at a regional network ... maybe but probably not.   :users: :flush:

Offline FHSU92

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 09:46:52 PM »

Bs...my son won lcsj last yr  :pbj:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 09:49:04 PM »

others? 

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=2591.msg42445#msg42445

How did I miss the goEMAW house thread?  I gotta start paying more attention.  I think that was about the time JHGD was looking for a new place to live too......we missed an opportunity fellas  :angry:

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 10:09:11 PM »

Bs...my son won lcsj last yr  :pbj:

LCSJ is cool. But the eating contests?  :angry:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:44 PM »
WSU has some sort of partnership with cox and televises a handful of baseball, football, and volleyball games every year.  They could definitely televise more but the vast majority of their fanbase lives in the wichita area and they don't want to harm actual game attendance too much.  Seems like something along those lines would be very doable.  :dunno:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 11:30:17 PM »
WSU has some sort of partnership with cox and televises a handful of baseball, football, and volleyball games every year.  They could definitely televise more but the vast majority of their fanbase lives in the wichita area and they don't want to harm actual game attendance too much.  Seems like something along those lines would be very doable.  :dunno:

football? really bro really?  :jerk:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 11:36:06 PM »
So I meant basketball, but the thought of them airing some sort of zombie football games makes me chuckle.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 12:16:09 AM »

Yep, a deal with Cox seems much more viable.