Author Topic: Facts about Topeka  (Read 120436 times)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Facts about Topeka
« Reply #525 on: September 27, 2012, 10:24:24 PM »
so I heard about a place that's suppose to have authentic mexican street tacos, and it's also a mexican meat market, it's at 6th and Branner and it's got a big orange garage door or something, anyways it sounds legit, so I'll report back

also has anyone been to tacos el mexicano (with a name like that you know it's good)? heard it's good too  :dunno:

Edit: after doing some google street mapping it looks like the place with the orange garage  door may or may not be called carniceria camecuaro
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:30:20 PM by raquetcat »
I'm purple down

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 28, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
:drunkpost:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 12:37:32 PM by Metalhead »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 28, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »
I've heard good things.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 28, 2012, 08:00:04 AM »
I almost moved to Topeka in the early 90s but couldn't find a job. :(

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 28, 2012, 08:44:14 AM »
so I heard about a place that's suppose to have authentic mexican street tacos, and it's also a mexican meat market, it's at 6th and Branner and it's got a big orange garage door or something, anyways it sounds legit, so I'll report back

also has anyone been to tacos el mexicano (with a name like that you know it's good)? heard it's good too  :dunno:

Edit: after doing some google street mapping it looks like the place with the orange garage  door may or may not be called carniceria camecuaro

you're talking about la hacienda

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cricketer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 28, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »

Orange garage door place is pretty good.  Is TelM on California?  If so, its good.  Also Tacos el Sol on 6th is a winner and the place on Belle has great carne asada tacos.   

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Facts about Topeka
« Reply #531 on: September 28, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

Orange garage door place is pretty good.  Is TelM on California?  If so, its good.  Also Tacos el Sol on 6th is a winner and the place on Belle has great carne asada tacos.   

I heard I would need a translator to eat at the orange garage door place, but I'm skeptical, because pointing and handing over money seems to work pretty well
I'm purple down

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 28, 2012, 05:03:32 PM »
I wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but I chose here.

I love crab rangoons. Where is a good place in Topeka?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 28, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »
I wasn't sure what thread to put this in, but I chose here.

I love crab rangoons. Where is a good place in Topeka?

China Inn.  Just kidding it went out of business like 10 years ago.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 28, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
If you love crab Rangoon you need to talk to mikeyis4dacats he's your Cantonese-American expert

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 28, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »
Ok thanks. I made the mistake of getting some from whatever that place is near the corner of 17th and Washburn, and oooohhh boy was I disappointed.

Mikey, I.B. Waiting.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 28, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
If you love crab Rangoon you need to talk to mikeyis4dacats he's your Cantonese-American expert

LOL...you make one comment about crab rangoon.

Anyhoo, Siagon Restaurant (vietnamese/chinese) on 29th has fantastic Saigon Rangoon.  These are crab rangoon with a sriracha heat to them.    The viet food is good, never had the chinese there.   The money bags at Tuptim Thai (while not technically crab rangoon) are close enough and also very very good.  Beyond that, the rest are all essentially the same pre-made fare.

Tacos El Mexicano is great.    Tacos El Sol is owned by another sister, and also is very good, but after I found a dead fly in the bottom of my chip basket, I have been unable to stomach returning since Tacos El Mex is basically the same.    For other mexicn eating, I prefer Los Charros in Gage Center to any other place east of California St.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 28, 2012, 09:31:14 PM »
oh yeah, The Wall (17th and Washburn) is garbage.    I can't really say there is a fantastic chinese place in town.  I prefer Thai and Indian.    Wife made some fantastic butter chicken in the crockpot today, so that was good.

As far as mexican, I'm not a fan of the following:  Casa Ramos, Los Portales, El Mezcal, Las Fuentes.  Tequila's is good sometimes, when I'm craving a black bean chicken burrito.   Haven't been to El Centinela on Belle since they first opened, just enjoy Los Charros too much.  Great lunch buffet.

Under no circumstances let anyone convince you that Lucky 5 or La Siesta is good mexican just because they are in Oakland.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 28, 2012, 11:51:37 PM »
Hunams is the best Chinese in town. Silver Lake is the best in KS.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 29, 2012, 12:59:10 AM »
Dillons is the best Chinese in Topeka.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: September 29, 2012, 03:44:59 AM »
17th and Fairlawn is where it's at. China Pavilion is still my favorite Chinese buffet. Don't get me wrong, I love Hunam's (in Aggieville) carry-out or delivery orders, but their buffet is awful.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 29, 2012, 03:47:54 AM »
not at all a food elitist, but are people who claim to like the globe trolling?  (serious q)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 29, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »
I like the Globe.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 29, 2012, 09:45:22 AM »
not at all a food elitist, but are people who claim to like the globe trolling?  (serious q)

I like the Globe.   I didn't go during the whole trial thing, but he is in prison, so now I'm fine with it.

We used to eat Hunam all the time when I was a kid, Mable loved me, my parents said she used to ask where I was after I went to KSU.     But one day they went and a mouse ran across the floor while they were eating, so they quit going.    Said the food had been on the decline, and that was the straw.     I haven't eaten there in probably 7 or 8 years.  Just kind of decided that id we were in the mood for asian, we'd rather have Thai or Indian.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »
17th and Fairlawn is where it's at. China Pavilion is still my favorite Chinese buffet. Don't get me wrong, I love Hunam's (in Aggieville) carry-out or delivery orders, but their buffet is awful.

I saw Saul there lunchpaking once with his coworkers...I almost muttered goEMAW as we passed at the buffet, but felt weird about it.  For cheap Chinese buffets I like Hong Kong up north, though it hasn't been as good the last couple of months.  Gave Ling's a couple of tries last month, great selection, but the food is all too sweet and not hot enough.  Even the tempura sushi was just out of the fridge.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »

I like the Globe.   I didn't go during the whole trial thing, but he is in prison, so now I'm fine with it.

We used to eat Hunam all the time when I was a kid, Mable loved me, my parents said she used to ask where I was after I went to KSU.     But one day they went and a mouse ran across the floor while they were eating, so they quit going.    Said the food had been on the decline, and that was the straw.     I haven't eaten there in probably 7 or 8 years.  Just kind of decided that id we were in the mood for asian, we'd rather have Thai or Indian.
Pretty sure he's been deported by now.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 29, 2012, 10:31:11 AM »

He was sentenced to 18 months in Leavenworth in November 2009, so he should be out by now, but unless something else came up I don't think they planned to deport him.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 29, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »

He was sentenced to 18 months in Leavenworth in November 2009, so he should be out by now, but unless something else came up I don't think they planned to deport him.
He's definitely not at home. (I'm their neighbor)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 29, 2012, 10:49:35 AM »

He's definitely not at home. (I'm their neighbor)

oh yeah, remember you saying that now.  So she and the kids still live there?    There was never any mention of deporting him in the news.   I assumed he was a citizen.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 29, 2012, 10:53:27 AM »
Yea, not sure exactly what happened. Deportation was just a guess on my part.