Author Topic: Noah smith, liar or dumbass?  (Read 878 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Noah smith, liar or dumbass?
« on: April 18, 2024, 04:47:30 AM »

It is possible he is both.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Noah smith, liar or dumbass?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 06:16:29 AM »
Interesting Twitter character for sure

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 11:37:19 PM »
you think the data presented are misleading?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Noah smith, liar or dumbass?
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 06:24:07 AM »
I guess it depends on what it purports to show. Most of the arguments I hear about these generational comparisons have to do with the inflation in costs of things like housing which is not captured by this because it is looking at income and not wealth.

Overall I think the chart is non-responsive to the claims I generally hear about inflation in costs of things that are assets or are associated with having a family while inflation of things like having a computer or tv have not.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 06:27:54 AM by Kat Kid »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 01:15:12 PM »
i think it just shows that younger cohorts in the us have higher incomes at the same stage in life than did older cohorts, and that gen z does not diverge from that trend.  there could be some compositional effects that are distorting the data as presented, but it's not immediately clear to me that there would be.

it's true that the cost of housing has outpaced inflation more generally, but gen z is still spending less on housing than did older cohorts.  americans are still getting richer.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyKleintop/status/1780707675850064219
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 01:46:24 PM »
yeah, I think real wages are up over the last 40 years. people are doing good as crap. people just like to bitch about grocery costs and housing and whatever. also keep in mind stuff we see as required to live today was luxurious years ago. we're fast on our way to the Wall-E lifestyle but still being slim because of miraculous GLP-1 miracle drugs.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 01:48:49 PM »
I would love a wall-e lifestyle
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 01:50:46 PM »
Really all I need is the hover chair and I'm wall-e'd
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 02:00:03 PM »
i think it just shows that younger cohorts in the us have higher incomes at the same stage in life than did older cohorts, and that gen z does not diverge from that trend.  there could be some compositional effects that are distorting the data as presented, but it's not immediately clear to me that there would be.

it's true that the cost of housing has outpaced inflation more generally, but gen z is still spending less on housing than did older cohorts.  americans are still getting richer.

Another fun thing in that chart is Gen X just pulling the ripcord and not working anymore

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 02:02:29 PM »

kk, what is your response to this chart? 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 02:03:46 PM »
yeah, I think real wages are up over the last 40 years. people are doing good as crap. people just like to bitch about grocery costs and housing and whatever. also keep in mind stuff we see as required to live today was luxurious years ago. we're fast on our way to the Wall-E lifestyle but still being slim because of miraculous GLP-1 miracle drugs.

People are convinced that we need what we want and that we want what we wouldn’t even notice if not for suggestion.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 02:05:55 PM »
kk is the liar perchance?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2024, 03:22:04 PM »

kk, what is your response to this chart?

Well the "adjusted for household size" is doing a lot of work by itself, but saying housing "costs" are not much higher than a generation ago is ignoring the fact that housing is also an asset that is much more valuable than a generation ago.

So again, the chart is just non-responsive to people who make statements like "millenials are not even able to start having families because of the costs of housing, childcare and education which makes it very difficult."

In fact, this chart just uses that fact to point out that millenial income is higher because they don't have any kids and are single or DINKs. That doesn't mean that inflation has not affected their decision to have kids.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024, 03:34:10 PM »
not specifically topical but the same percentage of people own homes at the same age for all of recorded history. you hear people claim differently all the time. liars and dumbasses I believe.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2024, 04:05:37 PM »
Isn’t a lot of this just fear, or the instilling of fear into people’s minds for various purposes? A tale as old as time?

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2024, 04:15:15 PM »
Isn’t a lot of this just fear, or the instilling of fear into people’s minds for various purposes? A tale as old as time?

Meaning what, exactly?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2024, 04:21:31 PM »
I consider myself to be well versed in data display techniques and these last two charts have been let's call it unconventional.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2024, 04:29:24 PM »

Meaning what, exactly?

Not these charts/posts, the opposite. Imagery and information/opinions making people feel life is too hard, tougher on this generation or that one. That life is getting worse, etc.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2024, 04:38:24 PM »

Meaning what, exactly?

Not these charts/posts, the opposite. Imagery and information/opinions making people feel life is too hard, tougher on this generation or that one. That life is getting worse, etc.

My impression is that it really depends where a person lives.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2024, 04:40:34 PM »
I consider myself to be well versed in data display techniques and these last two charts have been let's call it unconventional.

Meaning what, exactly?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2024, 05:13:04 PM »
not specifically topical but the same percentage of people own homes at the same age for all of recorded history. you hear people claim differently all the time. liars and dumbasses I believe.

Sure the trends are similar, but based on that chart it looks like millennials trend about 10% boomers at pretty much every age (with Gen X in between). Not earth shattering but seems like it’s something.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2024, 05:22:06 PM »

Meaning what, exactly?

The first thing I noticed was they appear to be hand drawn, thats not something you see everyday.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2024, 06:57:38 PM »

Sure the trends are similar, but based on that chart it looks like millennials trend about 10% boomers at pretty much every age (with Gen X in between). Not earth shattering but seems like it’s something.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2024, 06:59:51 PM »
Republicans HATE this one simple trick ...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2024, 07:01:22 PM »

nobody is manipulating information for anything other than $. fox news will fear monger to pee paw and mee maw and whatever liberal dogshit kat kid consumes will do the same to lil maw and baby paw but it's just for clicks/views. fear sells to morons. NOT CALLING KK A MORON OBVIOUSLY!