Author Topic: Affordable luxury thread  (Read 800 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Affordable luxury thread
« on: February 25, 2024, 07:32:35 AM »
Maybe not the cheapest things, but something most people could swing.

Can range from nice fingernail clippers to a hotel room in Bangkok that your wife passes out drunk in and the chocolate ice cream she was eating melts all over the sheets that you wash in the shower the next day since some of the ice cream got into the mattress and you don't mind paying for sheets but a new mattress would make this hotel room not quite so applicable to a future luxury on the cheap thread.

I'll start, got a Kent comb off Amazon. It definitely has a nice feel in the hands and on the scalp and supposed to not loose teeth easily. Comes recommended for beards too, but my facial hair is lacking so I can't say.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
Re: Affordable luxury thread
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 08:47:01 AM »
I like a nice watch. I'm horrifically frugal but man do I like a nice watch. My current watch is a Longines Record.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 08:55:04 AM »
Maybe not the cheapest things, but something most people could swing.

Can range from nice fingernail clippers to a hotel room in Bangkok that your wife passes out drunk in and the chocolate ice cream she was eating melts all over the sheets that you wash in the shower the next day since some of the ice cream got into the mattress and you don't mind paying for sheets but a new mattress would make this hotel room not quite so applicable to a future luxury on the cheap thread.

I'll start, got a Kent comb off Amazon. It definitely has a nice feel in the hands and on the scalp and supposed to not loose teeth easily. Comes recommended for beards too, but my facial hair is lacking so I can't say.

Man, your night in Bangkok would make a hard man humble.

On a related note, I was traveling a lot and staying at nice hotels. So I upped my bedding game and actually bought the diamond line or whatever from Marriott. Now I sleep in luxury ever-y night.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 10:27:50 AM »
2022 GMC Yukon Denali Ultimate

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 10:32:43 AM »
2022 GMC Yukon Denali Ultimate

Affordable, m8

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 10:52:48 AM »
I like a nice watch. I'm horrifically frugal but man do I like a nice watch. My current watch is a Longines Record.
I bought a vintage 1960s omega for like half a thousand and I think it's probably too expensive for what it is in this thread.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 12:35:33 PM »
Bougie burboun. Like Blanton's tier. Woodford Reserve.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 03:34:01 PM »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2024, 03:51:28 PM »
I bought lasik two weeks ago. Had put it off for years, mostly because I have eyeball phobias but also cost I guess. Paid $3800 total, included lasering TWO eyes!

One eyeball can see far off and one eyeball can see close up. Zero depth perception issues, but does take a bit to get use to the differences. Very pleased tho.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2024, 04:09:46 PM »
I bought lasik two weeks ago. Had put it off for years, mostly because I have eyeball phobias but also cost I guess. Paid $3800 total, included lasering TWO eyes!

One eyeball can see far off and one eyeball can see close up. Zero depth perception issues, but does take a bit to get use to the differences. Very pleased tho.
It's on the list. Need the eyes to stabilize a bit more.

Also, that's more expensive than my watch!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2024, 08:00:13 AM »
I got eye surgery right at 10 years ago. Thousand percent worth it. My doctor did tell me that it would only buy me another 10 years or so before I may need glasses again though. He said once you get to 45 all bets are off.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2024, 08:25:23 AM »
I got eye surgery right at 10 years ago. Thousand percent worth it. My doctor did tell me that it would only buy me another 10 years or so before I may need glasses again though. He said once you get to 45 all bets are off.

Yeah, on the age thing, that's why I had to get the mixed eyeball approach. I've talked to a few people who have had it done that way and they all say that after a couple months they never think about it anymore. 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2024, 08:53:28 AM »
Got similar advice (got lasik around 40). But sounds like usually the concern is for near sighted problems, so cheap reading glasses are all that's needed and not all the time glasses

Offline Fldermaus

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2024, 08:57:42 AM »
Got similar advice (got lasik around 40). But sounds like usually the concern is for near sighted problems, so cheap reading glasses are all that's needed and not all the time glasses

Yup, I got almost 20 years of perfect vision from lasik (both eyes corrected for poor distance vision), then my near vision started to go downhill right around age 45. Now I need reading glasses, which is probably just part of the standard aging process. I still consider Lasik as the best money I've ever spent. 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 09:24:48 AM »
i like nice soaps

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 11:28:23 AM »
Since I got a new speaker system for my record player, I have been dropping about $100 on records a check. A luxury that I think will end up paying off in the long run. I found a first pressing of Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison I paid $23 for and is going for $400 rn in the condition I bought it for.

I also try to do a sort of fine dining experience once every three months. It has been fun being able to do that for the lady and I.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 01:19:20 PM »
Since I got a new speaker system for my record player, I have been dropping about $100 on records a check. A luxury that I think will end up paying off in the long run. I found a first pressing of Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison I paid $23 for and is going for $400 rn in the condition I bought it for.

I also try to do a sort of fine dining experience once every three months. It has been fun being able to do that for the lady and I.

Where do you get your records?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2024, 02:19:40 PM »

Mills in KC, they pay alot more attention to the rock and indie records. Have found some really good deals on country records.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2024, 02:36:42 PM »

Mills in KC, they pay alot more attention to the rock and indie records. Have found some really good deals on country records.

What's your setup? Back when I was making stupid money, I thought about buying a Klipschorn vintage thing for like 15 grand. That's off the table for now. Is there a way I can "plug" a turntable into my Sonos system?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 03:23:14 PM »

What's your setup? Back when I was making stupid money, I thought about buying a Klipschorn vintage thing for like 15 grand. That's off the table for now. Is there a way I can "plug" a turntable into my Sonos system?

I know you aren't asking me, but I just bought the below and it works pretty great. I have Sonos as well and know buying a "nice" turntable would just be a waste for me. This one is an all in one, that will sit and barely get used so it was right in my range. Works pretty good for the few spins i've given it so far.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086WTSMQH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 03:25:16 PM »

I know you aren't asking me, but I just bought the below and it works pretty great. I have Sonos as well and know buying a "nice" turntable would just be a waste for me. This one is an all in one, that will sit and barely get used so it was right in my range. Works pretty good for the few spins i've given it so far.

Can you connect it to Sonos?

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2024, 03:30:08 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/Andover-Audio-Spinbase-Turntable-Speaker/dp/B08GL3TC99/ref=asc_df_B08GL3TC99/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475790672613&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8381090164950170701&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023240&hvtargid=pla-995775814738&psc=1&mcid=0ec5e06c04f13970b3bffc7998651acf&gclid=CjwKCAiAivGuBhBEEiwAWiFmYaiuMbomdGX_u0-ht5eRBU8A7U6mGvakK22kbfof4YreYmWNdr56URoCtXIQAvD_BwE

The link above is the speaker I have, the company is fairly new and it is a 270 degree speaker. The anti shake on the records is incredible which they have a patent for.  I have a Kenwood 65F turntable for my player of choice. It is the coolest thing I own.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2024, 04:11:15 PM »

Sorry, no you can't. I gave up on that idea. They were more expensive and my thought was that if I wanted to listen to Sonos, i would just stream like I do normally. This is just a turntable with a speaker built in.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2024, 04:15:20 PM »
does Sonos not have like a red and white input?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2024, 05:32:07 PM »
does Sonos not have like a red and white input?

Certain ones do, but not all. Not having them was like the point of Sonos, but I think some models have the inputs.