Author Topic: Snowbirding and Sunbirding  (Read 1186 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Snowbirding Insider Input Needed
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2024, 03:02:10 PM »
Pete are you going to forfeit Kansas/Missouri fall weather in this new adventure?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2024, 03:34:29 PM »
Also if the place isn't fully furnished, furniture rental companies were easy to deal with and they deliver/pickup. Then you just need kitchen stuff, bedding, etc. We sometimes found these in thrift stores and then donated back when we left.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2024, 03:42:58 PM »
How are you transporting the dogs from Minnesota?

Honda Odyssey with a 100K miles on it.  All of this scheme will be driving, and not flying.

Sounds like you should lave Minnesota by mid-October and not go back until May.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2024, 03:46:50 PM »
Pete, my mom has been a snowbird for 6 years now. She lives in Wyoming during the summers and then has a house just outside Phoenix during the winters, both of them are on golf courses. The first covid winter I snowbirded to AZ because it was just miserable in KC. I also live in south Texas now so I have a couple things I wanted to add.

I like Phoenix but the traffic around both downtowns sucks, it's also so spread out it takes forever to get anywhere. During the winter when you're there the weather is amazing, sunny almost everyday and lots of things to do outside. It sucks to live there in the summer so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

I like Tucson a lot too, it's got a small town feel in a not too overwhelming area. They also have skiing all year and it's nice during the winter. So you can enjoy your 60-70s weather and be like 30 min from the slopes. The food in both Tucson and Phoenix is very good and lots of variety.

The winters in south Texas are similar to Arizona but you do have more cloudy days and there's probably ~2 weeks a year where it could get down to freezing. When it does, omg, it's like the end of the world, people don't know how to drive and they even hoard water and stuff pretty wild. BUT I really like it down here. Austin is nice but it's super expensive but there is a lot to do also. There's a lot of hiking and biking here too. San Antonio has a lot of stuff to do outside and there's all the touristy stuff but there a lot of different areas of the city to visit. Hill country is not far and that's great for hiking and biking.

The other good thing about AZ and Texas is they are very close to KS. So I'm only a ~2 hour plane ride away from being home, that helps.

Anyways I absolutely hate the winters in KS and can deal with the super hot summers here so it's worth it to me to stay here to be able to enjoy all the months outside of the scorching summers.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2024, 04:35:23 PM »
Man this blog really delivers. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2024, 04:56:41 PM »
Somewhere in the Coachella valley/thread

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2024, 05:15:53 PM »
Wilmington NC may provide enough hipster and enough sipping cold one's at a yacht basin eatery overlooking boats of all shapes and sizes . .  . MJ might even cruise buy on his fishing yacht.

Albeit affordable rentals may be difficult.

The place is getting pretty upper end, the county experiencing population decline because of gentrification and the working class indigenous population being pushed out because of higher costs of living.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2024, 06:33:33 PM »
Agree with the St George comments.  Similar to Az but a little cooler.  Lows average at or just below freezing in Jan and highs in the 50s.  By March you’ll be up to 70s or even some 80s.  Again, fantastic outdoor recreation there. Some of the weird Utah things to get accustomed to, buts it’s slowly normalizing as the population grows. 

And the entire Wasatch front will be down there for MLK, Presidents’ Day weekends, so you can bitch and moan about all the out of towners messing everything up. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2024, 06:40:51 PM »
As a Texas dweller I have the opposite problem. Is there a term for anti-snowbirding?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2024, 06:44:18 PM »
Sunbirding! 

Snowbird/Sunbird is my goal.  Mountain town in the summer, SW desert in the winter.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2024, 06:48:09 PM »
Just move to the pacific coast
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2024, 06:51:17 PM »
Sunbirding! 

Snowbird/Sunbird is my goal.  Mountain town in the summer, SW desert in the winter.
Sunbirding is my retirement (or semi retirement) wet dream. During COVID my online research took me to Bend, OR. But now I’m sort of resigned to CO on account of convenience and a bunch of family there.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2024, 06:55:15 PM »
Just move to the pacific coast
Maybe when I have no taxable income.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2024, 06:55:39 PM »
As a Texas dweller I have the opposite problem. Is there a term for anti-snowbirding?

Get/rent a cabin in northern MN/WI/MI in the north woods May - Sept.  May fishing is the best, but you won't be swimming. July/August is the best for lake sports. 

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2024, 07:00:24 PM »
I have dreamed of being nomadic and starting in Minnesota in early summer and migrating south before winter hits, not sure how far south I'd end up going but San Antonio seems like a logical spot.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2024, 07:37:57 PM »
Oh come on, it’s not THAT bad

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2024, 09:03:08 AM »
What’s the mosquito sitch on these Minnesota lakes during summer?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2024, 09:10:22 AM »
Is there anywhere to live in Texas where you don't have to drive 1.5 hrs to get anywhere

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2024, 09:21:22 AM »
Is there anywhere to live in Texas where you don't have to drive 1.5 hrs to get anywhere
I’m literally 20 min from anywhere in the city in SA.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2024, 09:57:49 AM »
I’ve never actually lived in KC, but Dallas feels like it has significantly less sprawl from my experience. You might have to drive 20-30 minutes to visit a friend but most everything you do on a daily basis is in your own little pocket of the city.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2024, 10:09:17 AM »
You might have to drive 20-30 minutes to visit a friend but most everything you do on a daily basis is in your own little pocket of the city.
this sounds exactly like kansas city

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2024, 10:10:31 AM »
I’ve never actually lived in KC, but Dallas feels like it has significantly less sprawl from my experience. You might have to drive 20-30 minutes to visit a friend but most everything you do on a daily basis is in your own little pocket of the city.
This is an insane take and I love it!

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Snowbirding Insider Input Needed
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2024, 10:14:31 AM »
DFW is gigantic, so I think you’re meaning just, like, Dallas Dallas? Because the metro sprawl is to the max.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2024, 10:31:06 AM »
How are you transporting the dogs from Minnesota?

Honda Odyssey with a 100K miles on it.  All of this scheme will be driving, and not flying.

Sounds like you should lave Minnesota by mid-October and not go back until May.

That is definitely the ideal approach, but it's just more expensive.  If for any reason we find that we need to keep our KS place, that's almost exactly what we'd do, and then stay in KS Oct - April....that's what my mother-in-law and father-in-law do.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2024, 10:45:20 AM »
What’s the mosquito sitch on these Minnesota lakes during summer?

If varies, and gets worse at night.  Most of the time it isn't really that bad at all.  If you are going to be out of the water, just wear bug spray or clothes that ward them off. Camp fires work great for keeping them away.  People don't really ever notice them if they are swimming or tubing/skiing during the day, for example.

Personally, since our kids are nearly out of the house, we don't spend any time swimming really.  I'm either fishing or doing a stroll around the lake in the pontoon.  When I am fishing I am usually wearing long sleeves, like those fishing hoodies, and then a little bug spray on top of them to keep them away.  On a moving boat, they won't get you much, so the pontoon strolls are nice.

The whole thing kinda gets overblown.  Northern Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, and Northern Michigan all have the same ecological profile, and they are all amazing in the summer. Minnesota does have the advantage of more lakes, of if you like water stuff, that's nice.  Wisconsin and Michigan have way more access to the Great Lakes though.  Duluth in MN is a super desirable place on a great lake, but definitely better in WI and MI if you like the big water 100 foot lake trout and salmon stuff.