Author Topic: Dry Jan  (Read 3958 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Jan
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2024, 09:18:43 AM »
i set out to do dry jan 2023 and ended up doing dry 2023  :eek:

Good on you. Hope it was beneficial for your life.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2024, 09:33:47 AM »
Get yourself a case of topo chico

Club soda with a twist of lime. Trust me. I'm a professional.

california sober ftw

all of the above.

also it turns out anything you can do with backpack beers is equally as good or better with THC, and you can use the backpack space for other stuff or not need a backpack at all!

for a while i was worried about missing out or feeling awkward while out with people, but that seems so long ago it sounds silly now. first of all nobody gives a crap! it's hard to overemphasize this point. literally nobody gives a crap if you're drinking a club soda instead of an ipa or whatever. also i found that way more people are/were sober than i realized.

it's been wonderful for me, in some ways i anticipated and some i did not. i may go back to drinking (albeit cut way back), but i kind of like not having to think about it at all. oddly enough the only booze i find myself missing is a bottle of wine while cooking.
go cats.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2024, 09:35:43 AM »
The only people that give a crap are alcoholics that don't understand how you could possibly enjoy the day without booze.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2024, 10:07:24 AM »
Already had to tell first person, I'll see ya next month  :sdeek:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2024, 10:23:26 AM »

what was the occasion?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2024, 10:41:00 AM »
For me, THC is more problematic than alcohol. Obv, both are problematic in excess, but I've never really been "just a little high," aside from very small doses of gummies, but tolerance builds. I don't like the person I am when I'm high a lot of the time. Don't like the things I do. I get anxious, paranoid, and really can't function. Knowing this would usually only smoke or use edibles after my day was done, but became dependent on it despite the problems.

Would usually do one or the other, rarely both.

I find alcohol more manageable and enjoyable, and after kicking the daily weed habit don't have the desire to self medicate with booze as much either.

I'll go long stretches just normal sober now without a second though, drink socially and reasonably, and then do it again.

If I could kick one thing forever, it would be nicotine, but it's just so easy to fall back into. At least there are healthy alternatives to tobacco (nicotine pouches, swedish snus kind of), and there are benefits to nicotine (focus, alertness, calmness), but I'd rather not be addicted or dependent. Nicotine is weird. The withdrawal symptoms for me are like a light-headed fogginess, then when I start to think about the nicotine relief the urge becomes really strong. It's just so easy to obtain and use.

Coffee is another, I was drinking multiple energy drinks a day for awhile. Cut it back to zero for a week a few months ago, and suffered withdrawal headaches. I'm drinking coffee again, but limit myself to two cups in the morning. Would like to just live totally sober for a stretch and allow my body to adjust, see what that is like; just life without mind-altering substances altogether.

I'm rambling.  :lol:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2024, 11:08:18 AM »

what was the occasion?
Neighbor wants to get together and tryout a whiskey he got.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2024, 11:21:19 AM »
Get yourself a case of topo chico

Club soda with a twist of lime. Trust me. I'm a professional.

california sober ftw

all of the above.

also it turns out anything you can do with backpack beers is equally as good or better with THC, and you can use the backpack space for other stuff or not need a backpack at all!

for a while i was worried about missing out or feeling awkward while out with people, but that seems so long ago it sounds silly now. first of all nobody gives a crap! it's hard to overemphasize this point. literally nobody gives a crap if you're drinking a club soda instead of an ipa or whatever. also i found that way more people are/were sober than i realized.

it's been wonderful for me, in some ways i anticipated and some i did not. i may go back to drinking (albeit cut way back), but i kind of like not having to think about it at all. oddly enough the only booze i find myself missing is a bottle of wine while cooking.
go cats.

Mocat, yes!

I think I had an alcohol on two occasions in '23, both family gatherings. Also weed rules.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2024, 03:03:08 PM »
Do whatever the opposite of a dry January would be called. Drink at least 6 drinks every single day until February 1.
Honestly seems like a great way to get yourself to stop drinking.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2024, 04:30:09 PM »
going on my 3rd Dry January in a row this year.  I kind of look forward to it now TBH.  No hangovers, pretty decent weight loss and best of all the smug self-righteous feeling you get.  Pretty cool.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2024, 05:53:48 PM »
Bitters are also nice to have on hand to put into your Topo Chicos.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2024, 08:29:47 PM »
had the first test tonight, had a friend over and I actually made cocktails for her and mrs. micat before dinner! And didn't even take a little nip while I did it!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2024, 08:37:22 PM »
ain’t no way i’m going to not take nips on an alcohol during the beginning of the second semester of my sophomore year!

see you guys in the ville tomorrow hopefully

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2024, 12:20:43 AM »
had the first test tonight, had a friend over and I actually made cocktails for her and mrs. micat before dinner! And didn't even take a little nip while I did it!

But were questions asked?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2024, 07:07:26 AM »

But were questions asked?

Nope!

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2024, 08:28:01 AM »
Club soda with bitters and a lemon is my go-to sober drink when out at bars. Looks like a whiskey soda and tastes pretty good.

going on my 3rd Dry January in a row this year.  I kind of look forward to it now TBH.  No hangovers, pretty decent weight loss and best of all the smug self-righteous feeling you get.  Pretty cool.
The biggest benefit for me is the great sleep I get.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2024, 10:26:27 AM »
More breweries should make a good root beer and put it on tap.  I’d frequently chose a sudsy root beer in a frosty mug over a crispy boi after a run/hike, especially when with the fam.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2024, 10:37:15 AM »
Club soda with bitters and a lemon is my go-to sober drink when out at bars. Looks like a whiskey soda and tastes pretty good.

The biggest benefit for me is the great sleep I get.

Already cashing in on this
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2024, 10:43:31 AM »
tonight we find out if we're really doing this thing or not  :ohno:

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2024, 10:46:44 AM »
better change your mindset homeboy or you won't last through January.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2024, 10:55:05 AM »
i didn't think i had the goods until i made it through the chiefs winning the dang super bowl

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2024, 11:16:55 AM »

I think it's time to open the betting line.  I'll go ahead and set it at 10-1 he doesn't make it through the weekend.  He's incredibly weak.  And listen, I want him to make it but the first brewery that he drives by he'll do a u-turn so quick it'd make your head snap.  PM me for the action if you want to bet on this weak soul.  :beersmiley: :whistle1: :beersmiley:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2024, 11:53:29 AM »
i didn't think i had the goods until i made it through the chiefs winning the dang super bowl
That's quite the test to be sure

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2024, 04:04:20 PM »
This snow isn't gonna help!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2024, 05:25:46 PM »
More breweries should make a good root beer and put it on tap.  I’d frequently chose a sudsy root beer in a frosty mug over a crispy boi after a run/hike, especially when with the fam.
Call it a sarsaparilla and I think you’re on to something