Author Topic: Dry Jan  (Read 3927 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Dry Jan
« on: January 03, 2024, 09:38:25 AM »
Anyone done it?  Any tips for success?  I'm a little over 2 days into my first campaign and so far so good.  The weekend looming is the big test.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Dry Jan
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 09:45:50 AM »
I'm doing it, at least until a work trade show the last weekend of January

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 09:50:26 AM »
Also have guests in town that I am taking to dinner and a comedy show. I'm kind of looking forward to doing it dry tbh

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 09:54:26 AM »
i like to grab a couple beers at a brewery on the weekend, what do i replace that with!  :ohno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 10:01:23 AM »
i like to grab a couple beers at a brewery on the weekend, what do i replace that with!  :ohno:

Do you meet people for it or do it solo? Evening or afternoon?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 10:08:39 AM »
Doing it as well meow meow and mich. Have several social things coming up this month. Think I'm just going to have to say I don't drink in January.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2024, 10:09:02 AM »
could be people or just mrs meow, never alone.  could be afternoon or evening.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2024, 10:19:40 AM »

They may have NA options.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2024, 10:20:46 AM »
Club soda with a twist of lime. Trust me. I'm a professional.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 10:22:42 AM »
could be people or just mrs meow, never alone.  could be afternoon or evening.

Is Mrs. Meow doing dry jan too? I would just go. Most decent breweries should have something non-alcoholic.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 10:29:35 AM »
Doing it as well meow meow and mich. Have several social things coming up this month. Think I'm just going to have to say I don't drink in January.

I usually pull the holier than thou card on my pals/non pals and tell them I feel sorry for their pickled liver. 

First weekend is always the toughest meow meow.  Get through that and it becomes much easier.  Also continue to think about all the benefits you're gaining from not drinking the devils juice.

A month or so ago I read about a new fad where you don't drink for one week/two weeks every month which was intriguing to me.  So you end up not boozing for 3-6 months out of the year.  I kind of liked that idea.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 10:39:28 AM »
Did it last year and it felt great. Highly recommend. Get some kombucha or something like that to sip on at night if you are feeling like a booze drink. Just having something different to drink helped me.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 11:00:56 AM »
yeah i guess going to a brewery and drinking an NA beer doesn't really appeal to me.  i guess what i was getting at, what are some diff things i can be doing with my time other than even going to a brewery at all?  mrs meow is also doing dry jan, and i would like to point out we rarely ever drink during the week unless an after work outing or we go out to dinner and have a glass of wine or a beer, but the weekends there is generally always some drinks at home/dinner/meet friends out/etc.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 11:04:55 AM »
Definitely doing it and looking forward to a significant break. Maybe I'll drink when I'm back in KC the last weekend of January but I'd like to make it to February, and at least also do very little in February. I know for me having like sparkling water helps with the need to drink something flavorful.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 11:09:22 AM »
yeah i guess going to a brewery and drinking an NA beer doesn't really appeal to me.  i guess what i was getting at, what are some diff things i can be doing with my time other than even going to a brewery at all?  mrs meow is also doing dry jan, and i would like to point out we rarely ever drink during the week unless an after work outing or we go out to dinner and have a glass of wine or a beer, but the weekends there is generally always some drinks at home/dinner/meet friends out/etc.

I mean do you enjoy doing anything but going to breweries??? go to a museum, go for a walk on a nice day, play some board games, go for a movie, go to MHK for a cats game, like literally do anything.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2024, 11:15:38 AM »
yeah, but it's like cold as crap out.  we play a lot of board games/games, and i usually like to pop a few while i do that!  i'd go to a cats game but we suck complete crap and i wouldn't go to mhk without wanting to hit aggieville for old time sake!  i took a really long 6 mile walk to shawnee mission lake with the mrs a week ago BUT I HAD BEERS IN MY BACKPACK!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2024, 11:22:01 AM »
yeah, but it's like cold as crap out.  we play a lot of board games/games, and i usually like to pop a few while i do that!  i'd go to a cats game but we suck complete crap and i wouldn't go to mhk without wanting to hit aggieville for old time sake!  i took a really long 6 mile walk to shawnee mission lake with the mrs a week ago BUT I HAD BEERS IN MY BACKPACK!
I think you should just keep drinking

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2024, 11:23:42 AM »
:lol:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2024, 11:28:35 AM »
 :frown:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2024, 11:40:13 AM »
Do whatever the opposite of a dry January would be called. Drink at least 6 drinks every single day until February 1.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 11:45:03 AM »
Do whatever the opposite of a dry January would be called. Drink at least 6 drinks every single day until February 1.

Figure out a way to market this idea on a shirt or something and you'd make some nice money from the rum heads.  :kstategrad:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2024, 11:52:40 AM »
we had a lot of parties during december at our house, so between all the booze i bought for those and in general drinking out at breweries/dinners out/christmas pop ups, if i stay dry i stand to make (keep) a lot of my coins this month.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2024, 12:03:24 PM »
You should definitely stop drinking if it's starting to affect you financially
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2024, 12:15:04 PM »
that's....not what i said

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2024, 12:22:51 PM »
Have you ever, under the influence of alcohol, questioned the teachings of the Mormon Church?