Author Topic: K-State vs. Nebraska 1998 (NOW FEATURING THE 2003 BIG XII CHAMPIONSHIP!!!)  (Read 1931 times)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile

Happy birthday, you beautiful bastard. You look just as good today as you ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 01:00:16 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: K-State vs. Nebraska 1998
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 07:13:42 AM »
25 years later and I still love the crap outta this game. Go pay your respects you alien assholes.

https://youtu.be/KmU3p6OwWZ8?si=gfPeW49H6o3mnNK7

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 07:21:15 AM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 07:55:30 AM »
not how i was planning to spend my morning but here we are

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 08:00:48 AM »
I was there, and I openly wept along with everyone around me.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 08:12:39 AM »

I was there too, Pete. Although this game is another example of my memory starting to fail me...I had remembered that game being cold ASF. Had a long sleeve tee shirt (white) on under my #50 Travis Ochs jersey (home purple) and it was not nearly enough but i didn't even care.

But as i'm watching this replay...the suns out, the green teeshirt guys that willie gives concussions to are wearing shorts, lots of the students are wearing huck the fuskers tee shirts and appear to be completely comfortable. But i was there. Sitting in the SEZ and had a straight on view to Darnell McDonald catching the go-ahead TD and in person it looked like he was even more wide open than he looked on TV.

And i'll tell you something else i was torn that day b/c i wasn't sure whether to wear my travis ochs jersey or my michael bishop jersey b/c the ochs jersey would crease really awkwardly between the 5 and the 0 thus making it kind of ill fitting, (obvs not a problem with a single 7 centered in the front) but i had willie the wildcat's autograph on the ochs jersey and not the bishop jersey so i decided to sacrifice vanity for the betterment of the team and, well, you know what the final score was that day...

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 08:19:43 AM »
Freshman me was there. Top 5 memory from a lifetime of being a Cat fan.

Edit: cannot believe that was 25 years ago.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 08:20:43 AM »
entirely possible i am conflating this game with '97 CU (also a momentous occasion, we hadn't beaten those dweebs in a hot minute) and i thought i was going to die from coldness. And no i'm not conflating with the '00 victory over NUBB at home b/c i didn't go to that game b/c it was homecoming (high school) and i was not about to pass on the chance to awkwardly slow dance with a girl a couple of times.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »
entirely possible i am conflating this game with '97 CU (also a momentous occasion, we hadn't beaten those dweebs in a hot minute) and i thought i was going to die from coldness. And no i'm not conflating with the '00 victory over NUBB at home b/c i didn't go to that game b/c it was homecoming (high school) and i was not about to pass on the chance to awkwardly slow dance with a girl a couple of times.
i don't remember it being that cold.

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 08:26:08 AM »
"So from Osawatomie to Ottawa, from Leawood to Liberty – this may be a day the Kansas State faithful never forget"

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 08:26:21 AM »

i attribute this to my faulty memory. I was a very tough boy who didn't mind the cold (still don't). But the CU game the year before was very, very cold.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 08:31:01 AM »

i attribute this to my faulty memory. I was a very tough boy who didn't mind the cold (still don't). But the CU game the year before was very, very cold.
That CU game was very cold. I was still in HS and my cool older cousins got me tickets to sit in the student section with them. Very fun game.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 08:35:25 AM »
i was so excited to go to ESPN College Gameday and i brought my big kstate flag but it became obvious that i was new to the ESPN College Gameday scene b/c it was a wooden flagpole and they were like "no young man, you can't bring that in here" and i was absolutely crushed i didn't have a poster or anything for backup i was just standing there empty handed like a giant idiot.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 08:36:31 AM »

I was there too, Pete. Although this game is another example of my memory starting to fail me...I had remembered that game being cold ASF. Had a long sleeve tee shirt (white) on under my #50 Travis Ochs jersey (home purple) and it was not nearly enough but i didn't even care.

But as i'm watching this replay...the suns out, the green teeshirt guys that willie gives concussions to are wearing shorts, lots of the students are wearing huck the fuskers tee shirts and appear to be completely comfortable. But i was there. Sitting in the SEZ and had a straight on view to Darnell McDonald catching the go-ahead TD and in person it looked like he was even more wide open than he looked on TV.

And i'll tell you something else i was torn that day b/c i wasn't sure whether to wear my travis ochs jersey or my michael bishop jersey b/c the ochs jersey would crease really awkwardly between the 5 and the 0 thus making it kind of ill fitting, (obvs not a problem with a single 7 centered in the front) but i had willie the wildcat's autograph on the ochs jersey and not the bishop jersey so i decided to sacrifice vanity for the betterment of the team and, well, you know what the final score was that day...

Your memory is just fine. College Gameday started off pretty chilly. The jackass Nebraska band, for some reason, came in towards the end of the show and just started playing, even though there were no Nebraska fans there. Students were trying to get to that band when the show ended. At kickoff, 2:30, it was sunny and about 60 degrees. At the end of the game, the sun was down and it was around 50. No one was worried about the relative chilly weather then because we were turnt. I do remember ESPN moved their set to the top of the hill on the northeast corner of the stadium. After we took the goalposts down, they were doing player interviews from there and it was straight cold, at that point.

I couldn't go to Aggieville that night because the rec opened from 7-10 that night and I had to close :curse: I went down at like 11 and couldn't get in anywhere so I just went home, basically Aggieville, on Bluemont right across from Arby's, and just had an impromptu party instead.

Also the three panel flag visible on the field stormings and goal post teardown, is me(

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 08:38:23 AM »
"So from Osawatomie to Ottawa, from Leawood to Liberty – this may be a day the Kansas State faithful never forget"

The Keith Jackson opening, and closing, to this game will forever be burned in my memory, simply amazing.I still have my VHS recording of this game and a VCR to watch it on.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 08:41:36 AM »
I went with my neighborhood friend, sat in the east side box and had a turkey drum stick.. It didn't get much better

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »
to whomst in the AD do i need to write an email to get us to paint the yard line numbers like we did in 98? the purple shadow, the quarter panel stencil breaks, its just outstanding.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2023, 09:13:02 AM »
Bishop getting Snyder lined up for his Gatorade bath and then walking away right has LHOFHCBS gets doused!

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 09:59:54 AM »
That game was way closer than it should have been.  5 turnovers including a fumble on the 1.   :lol:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2023, 10:11:36 AM »
That game was way closer than it should have been.  5 turnovers including a fumble on the 1.   :lol:
They had a scoop and score that would have been overturned by replay as well.   :shakesfist:
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2023, 10:20:34 AM »
What a great game! I was 10 but I remember it vividly.  :emawkid: :emawkid: :emawkid:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2023, 10:25:34 AM »
What a great game! I was 10 but I remember it vividly.  :emawkid: :emawkid: :emawkid:
It's wild, I was there (sober, even), but I don't remember much of it at all.

kono

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2023, 10:29:57 AM »
I got to read the score and write-up on the submarine somewhere under the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday. Was rocking my KSU Willie Wildcat mug on duty in the Engine Room.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2023, 10:59:14 AM »
I got to read the score and write-up on the submarine somewhere under the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday. Was rocking my KSU Willie Wildcat mug on duty in the Engine Room.

bet that day it was extra satisfying rippin a dart back aft near the screw

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2023, 11:01:06 AM »

bet that day it was extra satisfying rippin a dart back aft near the screw
No smoking in the ER. Smoke Pit was forward under the galley next to the Diesel Generator.

It was a glorious day to enjoy that heater before going aft for watch.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2023, 11:36:32 AM »
  • I didn't have season tix as a frosh, sat in south endings. High stepped across entire field before clock expired.
  • someone stepped on my new doc martens and left a perma dent in the toe :(
  • was hanging by my arms on the indestructible goalpost and someone started pulling on my legs/pants. Bout showed my all my bits to everyone but let go in time.
  • got embarrassingly drunk afterwards
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.