Author Topic: SDST thoughts  (Read 1682 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: SDST thoughts
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2023, 03:44:54 PM »
I'm sure tang will get him to buy in but he's killing the offense right now. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2023, 04:37:17 PM »
David is clearly my guy, with RJ as clearly his backup when David leaves but "I'm putting cases on all you bitches" for these terrible Kaluma takes. He's going to start and he's going to be one of the best players on this team and in the league.

I sincerely hope you're right.

People were getting pissed because he missed a bunch of shots against USC, I saw the only dude on the roster not petrified. Yeah, he was definitely forcing shots, but he had to, especially in the first 15 minutes when everyone else was pissing down their legs.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2023, 05:06:50 PM »
We’re athletic and fun, and will prob be pretty good. How good? Dunno.

It’s nice to have a fun coach and fun players and play an enjoyable style of basketball. Cat hoops has good energy and is fun to follow and root for. Can’t ask for more.
Watching fun, entertaining K-State hoops is one of my greatest pleasures on this earth!

Dai Dai is going to be special  :emawkid:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2023, 05:12:18 PM »
My preference is

Dai Dai - 6'1
Perry - 5'11
Carter - 6'3
RJ - 6'3
Tomlin

It's a good thing we'd never miss a shot so we'd never need an offensive rebound, but the other team will get to shoot it until they make it.

TP2 averages 5 rebounds a game and Cam averages 3.7, our guards are good rebounders.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2023, 02:44:01 AM »
Cam looks like McGruder but can shoot the 3 even better. And RJ has the best smile of any cat since Pullen, maybe ever.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2023, 08:20:26 AM »
David is clearly my guy, with RJ as clearly his backup when David leaves but "I'm putting cases on all you bitches" for these terrible Kaluma takes. He's going to start and he's going to be one of the best players on this team and in the league.

I'm all over the board on how this works, but wouldn't David have a super senior season to come back next year if he wanted to as well?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2023, 08:21:11 AM »
I wish Perry had 2 years left, but our guard rotations the next few years are going to be awesome. And I don't know where Buddy's minutes come from as we get a set rotation later in the season, but I would like to see him on the floor (as long as he's productive, of course) developing as much as possible this season, maybe instead of Manning?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2023, 08:46:17 AM »
I wish Perry had 2 years left, but our guard rotations the next few years are going to be awesome. And I don't know where Buddy's minutes come from as we get a set rotation later in the season, but I would like to see him on the floor (as long as he's productive, of course) developing as much as possible this season, maybe instead of Manning?

I don't see a path for Manning to see much time this season unless something changes radically.  Same with Finister.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2023, 08:58:34 AM »

I'm all over the board on how this works, but wouldn't David have a super senior season to come back next year if he wanted to as well?

Yes, he does

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2023, 09:01:08 AM »

I don't see a path for Manning to see much time this season unless something changes radically.  Same with Finister.

I hope they stick around because they are quality depth players to practice against.  If they want playing time they are going to have to leave I think.

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2023, 02:46:10 PM »

I hope they stick around because they are quality depth players to practice against.  If they want playing time they are going to have to leave I think.

Tang clearly loves Manning, starting him agasint USC because of all the little things he does -- including being the first off the bench to welcome players during timeouts. He just needs to find his niche and improve, like Cam has.

Tang is building a team in the Baylor natty image, with guards who can shoot and get assists. They're not yet anywhere like the Baylor guards were defensively, but improvement should come with their athleticism. That might be Finister's ticket to PT as he has more length.
tin
We'll see about Kaluma, but projecting him as one of the conference's best seems a reach. I see him being up and down, but hopefully with more up games and down ones. Even Creighton haters say he is good defensively, so I hope he displays that and continues to rebound.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2023, 07:41:53 AM »
Buddy Rich is the dunkmaster wet dream I've been wishing for since Bill Walker was here...

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2023, 10:33:01 AM »
I do think Kaluma can be one of the best in the league in college, I just don't see how it translates to the NBA or see (yet) what would make him go anywhere earlier than maybe mid-late 2nd flyer.

He's obviously physically built for it, and can guard about any position in college and grab a lot of rebounds, but his shot appears to be terrible and his ball handling struggles at times (very low sample size). Really not sure where he'd see the floor in the NBA as a combo forwardish type with his game.

I guess what I'm saying, I always assumed we only get one year of Kaluma, but why not 2?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2023, 10:38:01 AM »
How can Kaluma be the best in the league if he can't shoot or dribble?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2023, 10:42:30 AM »
How can Kaluma be the best in the league if he can't shoot or dribble?

3x All Big 12 selection Kevin McCullar. His shot has gotten a lot better and he probably still won't break 30% outside of 12 feet this year.

Kaluma is a rebounder, gets shots around the basket type, and defends all positions. I thought he could get to the rim much better, but from what I've seen, has struggled. Hoping it's just not being all-in or whatever and he cleans it up, but why would a defender fall for a pump fake when you want him to take any jump shot?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2023, 11:43:08 AM »
I mean KM has been an elite defender so I agree Kaluma could be that.  If the ceiling is 3rd team All B12 / HM like KM then yea I could see that too. When I hear best in league I default to 1st team selection, and I don't see anyway he is that.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2023, 11:57:33 AM »
I mean KM has been an elite defender so I agree Kaluma could be that.  If the ceiling is 3rd team All B12 / HM like KM then yea I could see that too. When I hear best in league I default to 1st team selection, and I don't see anyway he is that.

Has anyone said "best in the league"?

One of the best in the league could be 3rd team All big 12, which would make you better than 80% of the starters in the league. If Kaluma, Carter, Perry, (and Tomlin?) are all in that range w/ maybe Perry or someone playing at 1st/2nd team level, this is going to be a REALLY successful team.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2023, 12:00:52 PM »
"I'm putting cases on all you bitches" for these terrible Kaluma takes. He's going to start and he's going to be one of the best players on this team and in the league.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2023, 12:09:29 PM »
You guys are judging Kaluma on him not running the offense and just trying to iso guys. Once the offense smooths out, and he plays within it, I think his current skill set will equate to him getting open shots off of short drives and jabs. He is fine as far as his handles and shot in my opinion.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2023, 02:44:22 PM »
I love Kaluma dude just looks like a baby deer at times.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2023, 04:42:17 PM »
"I'm putting cases on all you bitches" for these terrible Kaluma takes. He's going to start and he's going to be one of the best players on this team and in the league.

If I was predicting him to be first team all conference, I would have said that. He spent the last two seasons as one of best players in the Big East Conference and was one of the most sought after players in the transfer portal. The CBS College Basketball writers named him the 56th best player in whole the damn sport. If you want to give up on him after two bad games, one of which the entire team was ass, then go ahead, I won't.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2023, 04:44:17 PM »
I'm with MIR. I am blessed with the fact that I haven't watched really any KSU basketball this year though. It's a rare talent to be such a stoic about how good or bad we are.