Author Topic: We got to beat Texass  (Read 7388 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: We got to beat Texass
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2023, 05:00:32 PM »
The game was lost with that terrible first half offensive game plan. Shouldn't have come down to the last play

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 04, 2023, 05:01:18 PM »
lots of positives from today, I think we win out and finish 9-3.  can’t complain about that!

Yea I also think we finish 9-3, and that's remarkable honestly.   Klieman is going to be averaging over 8 wins per regular season in his 4 full seasons he's coached here and that's incredibly good.  I would have taken the under on 7 per year when he was hired.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 04, 2023, 05:02:56 PM »
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. We're just a few plays away from having an absolutely remarkable season.
The games we've lost are the games you are supposed to win by having your senior QB make plays at the end of the game.

Sent from my T790W using Tapatalk
Yep, I also think the play calls on those “must get” plays have been complete crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no quarrel with this statement.

I’ll never understand running the QB off center from the shotgun with 1 or less yards to go. I know that is part of the offense and we do it successfully some times but they knew it was coming. Also, it was third down. Get under center, try a sneak or a run and make a 4th down decision. Doing the same thing from 5 yards further back is just dumb.

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 04, 2023, 05:04:05 PM »
The game was lost with that terrible first half offensive game plan. Shouldn't have come down to the last play
That makes me feel even worse about CK’s shitty playcalls on important plays in the second half. :dunno:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 04, 2023, 05:09:03 PM »
Finally some common ground.

We acted like we expected to wear their D line down and got manhandled instead. Credit to CK for adjusting at the half but he obviously gets the blame for coming in with the game plan in the first place.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 04, 2023, 05:10:27 PM »
Coulda, shoulda, woulda. We're just a few plays away from having an absolutely remarkable season.
The games we've lost are the games you are supposed to win by having your senior QB make plays at the end of the game.

Yep, I also think the play calls on those “must get” plays have been complete crap.

I’ll never understand running the QB off center from the shotgun with 1 or less yards to go. I know that is part of the offense and we do it successfully some times but they knew it was coming. Also, it was third down. Get under center, try a sneak or a run and make a 4th down decision. Doing the same thing from 5 yards further back is just dumb.

100% should have been under center. Nothing to complain about if your oversized QB can’t fall forward for a yard.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 04, 2023, 05:16:13 PM »

100% should have been under center. Nothing to complain about if your oversized QB can’t fall forward for a yard.

Did you see what the NT did to our center all game?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 04, 2023, 05:22:20 PM »
Even if you think the NT is winning that battle, I think you still have close to a 50/50 shot if you can guess the better side to go to.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 04, 2023, 05:33:27 PM »
Ok so you didn't, that's fine.

Online Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 04, 2023, 05:38:03 PM »

So doing the same thing from 5 yards further back is a better plan to handle the NT? It was a complete crap play all regardless. If you are going to run the QB up the middle for 1 yard, I’d much rather him not need 6 yards to get there.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 04, 2023, 05:44:44 PM »

So doing the same thing from 5 yards further back is a better plan to handle the NT? It was a complete crap play all regardless. If you are going to run the QB up the middle for 1 yard, I’d much rather him not need 6 yards to get there.

I don't agree with running Will at all, but going under center was a guaranteed failure.   Would have preferred 4 attempts with empty backfields and going to the endzone each time.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 04, 2023, 06:45:47 PM »
Scoring on a single play from 4-yards out is one of the hardest feats to accomplish in football.

There are at least 95 harder feats.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 04, 2023, 09:14:05 PM »
Scoring on a single play from 4-yards out is one of the hardest feats to accomplish in football.

Basic math here folks

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 04, 2023, 10:53:50 PM »

Basic math here folks
Except there are roughly a billion possible scenarios!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 04, 2023, 11:40:36 PM »

Basic math here folks
Except there are roughly a billion possible scenarios!

He did say, at least!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 05, 2023, 09:29:07 AM »
Had to go for it but that play call was oof
You absolutely did not have to go for it

Yea you do bud

This is such an idiotic take. People argue whether or not it was the right call to go for it when it was clearly proven to be the wrong call. The proof is in the pudding. We went for it, got manhandled on the line and in pass coverage, and came nowhere close to converting. It was a terrible call. Was Tennant bad? Yes but that would've been basically an extra point, and even if he missed it, we'd be sitting here looking at the same result.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 05, 2023, 09:32:42 AM »
 :lol:

You guys know what point my hyperbole was trying to make.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 05, 2023, 09:36:50 AM »

Yea you do bud

This is such an idiotic take. People argue whether or not it was the right call to go for it when it was clearly proven to be the wrong call. The proof is in the pudding. We went for it, got manhandled on the line and in pass coverage, and came nowhere close to converting. It was a terrible call. Was Tennant bad? Yes but that would've been basically an extra point, and even if he missed it, we'd be sitting here looking at the same result.

If getting "manhandled" on that play made it a bad play, what exactly would be different if we elected to kick the field goal and if we made said field goal? If you don't have confidence in gaining four yards, seems like using a strategy that requires you to gain 21 more yards, is let's say, inconsistent logic.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 05, 2023, 09:49:36 AM »

Yea you do bud

If getting "manhandled" on that play made it a bad play, what exactly would be different if we elected to kick the field goal and if we made said field goal? If you don't have confidence in gaining four yards, seems like using a strategy that requires you to gain 21 more yards, is let's say, inconsistent logic.

I feel like you're intentionally ignoring how down and distance works.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 05, 2023, 09:51:53 AM »

Yea you do bud

I don't think so. We were so much better in plays where we could spread the field than short yardage plays. When you're going for broke on one play from the four yard-line, you're limited because the field is so compressed because of the back of the end zone being out of bounds. Had we kicked and taken it to a second OT I like our chances of breaking loose from a mid-range or longer play when we have more field to work with. Hell, that first OT play we had to Sinnott went for 17 yards pretty effortlessly.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 05, 2023, 09:53:01 AM »
Like look at our red zone touchdown rate vs. our 4th down conversion rate or 2 point conversion rate.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 05, 2023, 10:06:20 AM »
It would have been a bold and daring call with nfl OT rules, knowing you might not get the ball back if you kick a fg to tie.
With cfb OT rules it was just artificially putting the entire game on a 4th and 4 even though you could kick a short fg and get the ball back again with new downs

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 05, 2023, 10:16:31 AM »
Missed opportunity for a short side option imo

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 05, 2023, 10:23:47 AM »
Missed opportunity for a short side option imo
:love:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 05, 2023, 11:44:41 AM »

Yea you do bud

I feel like you're intentionally ignoring how down and distance works.

Well to score a touchdown we'd eventually have to either get four yards or convert a fourth down.