Author Topic: midlife crises  (Read 5238 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: midlife crises
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2023, 10:35:13 AM »
Sys—

I could see you getting in to betting on college basketball or elections. Do you have any interest in poker?

It is far enough off for me that it will probably be very different but I thought spending 40 hours a week playing and or dealing poker a week would be enjoyable for me for when I retire.

The one overarching thing I cannot emphasize enough is that time here on earth is limited.

finding your purpose or what is fulfilling or what will be beneficial to others while here is the most important question you can try to answer. we all answer that question, whether we are thinking it or not, with our choices and actions every day.

I’ve had too many people that I know never even get to enjoy a retirement, I plan on not putting too much off until then but also retiring as early as I can and I’ve definitely changed my ways significantly health wise to prioritize being able to move around should I get to 80+.

Being completely retired and spending your days golfing and/or playing break even to moderately winning poker, then spending your weekends volunteering and/or doing family stuff is a beautiful retirement vision.

Teachers are prime candidates to be semi-pro poker players too.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2023, 08:02:23 AM »
my old man plans:
art/painting
get good at chess

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2023, 08:26:51 AM »
I'm retiring in seven years as long as I can afford the health insurance. Otherwise, I grind until medicare. I don't have a hard job and WFH. So I could grind it easily until 65.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2023, 10:30:01 AM »
Those of you guys still in your 30s or even early 40s who are scared of a potential midlife crisis, if you want to avoid that try and talk your wife or partner into having a child in your mid to late 40s, you'll find purpose real quick, particularly if that child is a rowdy little boy.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2023, 10:41:57 AM »
Those of you guys still in your 30s or even early 40s who are scared of a potential midlife crisis, if you want to avoid that try and talk your wife or partner into having a child in your mid to late 40s, you'll find purpose real quick, particularly if that child is a rowdy little boy.

lol

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2023, 11:29:51 AM »

@mikec2w

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2023, 01:34:02 PM »
I think a strong mix of volunteering (like a scheduled, almost part-time job like structure) and focus on personal hobbies (snakes/other outdoorsy sys stuff) would be a good mix of meaning/purpose and leisure.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2023, 01:37:18 PM »
Yeah volunteering is great. Spend your whole life working for money and then you get to work for free at the end!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2023, 01:43:40 PM »
I'm retiring in seven years as long as I can afford the health insurance. Otherwise, I grind until medicare. I don't have a hard job and WFH. So I could grind it easily until 65.

This is where I am. Prob not 7 years, but hopefully around there. My job is totally fine, but not having to do it would be finer.

I'm prob close to mid life crisis I think. I am very lucky and have a great life. Like a million times better than anyone I ever knew would have thought including me. I'm just sort of bored with everything though. Its just the same crap every single day for the most part. I try to find things to keep myself stimulated, but there is the normal day to day stuff that take up most of the time. I struggle with "looking forward" vs not wanting to wish time away. I probably just need therapy.  :dunno:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2023, 01:44:54 PM »
Yeah volunteering is great. Spend your whole life working for money and then you get to work for free at the end!
Sys sounds like he wants a fulfilling activity. I don't know that site-seeing or cross country motorcycle trips are gonna scratch that itch.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2023, 01:49:15 PM »
Sys sounds like he wants a fulfilling activity. I don't know that site-seeing or cross country motorcycle trips are gonna scratch that itch.

Just gE'ing ya babe, #zapped
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2023, 02:03:06 PM »

Just gE'ing ya babe, #zapped

Ha. Got 'em!

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2023, 02:41:00 PM »

Uh. Pretty sure that path is what caused my MLC.  Probably would have gone without one if it wasn’t for a toddler in my mid 40s.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2023, 03:19:15 PM »
Wife finally got into a great spot with her career 2 years ago. Found a good job and we moved. Guess what? She F'n hates it. She has found another job with hopefully less stress, but no guaranteed salary. Income should ramp up within a year or two. We've done a good job saving the last 2 years, but it appears we are going to spend it all moving/finding a new house/living until her salary increases.
I think overall it will be a good move for us, but it feels like we are just resetting 3+ years back.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2023, 03:22:24 PM »
This may be more applicable to tdaver but I pictured retired sys volunteering at a park and giving tours, if they're lucky. Maybe your love for nature doesn't extend beyond snakes, though.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2023, 03:33:59 PM »
This may be more applicable to tdaver but I pictured retired sys volunteering at a park and giving tours, if they're lucky. Maybe your love for nature doesn't extend beyond snakes, though.

I don't know for certain but I'm guessing sys doesn't want to interact with humans if he doesn't have to.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2023, 03:40:54 PM »
I think I'd like to learn to whip together really good youtube videos. like travel videos, sports videos of my kids, all that stuff. I'm not going to do the work to learn it but I'd like to just have it imprinted in my brain.

on this note you should see my gamechanger set up. very elite.

Tell me more. What's more to set up than use the regular app and miss your kids at bat because you messed up or the other guy that does it messed something up and you had to fix it?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2023, 04:00:48 PM »
Have you ever met sys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2023, 04:04:26 PM »
Buckets backup plan for sys is volunteering at a children's hospital
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2023, 04:39:10 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
midlife crises
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2023, 04:50:25 PM »
At first I thought sys would hate being a lunch supervisor at an elementary school, but it would funny as hell to watch sys just rough ridin' dunk on kids and put up wilt chamberlin numbers in a 15 minute recess. Maybe he would love it?

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2023, 05:25:18 PM »
Yeah, Mr. Sys would be a school hero.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2023, 05:46:59 PM »
I definitely like the idea of sys getting really in to zoning and making an entire town’s elected officials and government workers tremble before his public comments and open records requests.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2023, 06:36:46 PM »
Have you ever met sys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, is he not as warm and welcoming in person as he is on gE?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2023, 06:47:15 PM »

Uh. Pretty sure that path is what caused my MLC.  Probably would have gone without one if it wasn’t for a toddler in my mid 40s.

Same, along with anxiety, insecurity and self-doubt. But it’s all good.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.