Author Topic: 2023 other games thread  (Read 13728 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 other games thread
« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2023, 01:42:01 PM »
There was never a chance that the SEC wasn't getting included.

It's the big 2 conferences now.  Thank God they expanded to 12.  Let's just hope they don't revoke autobid for Big 12.
There is no auto bid for the Big 12 per se.  The top 5 ranked conference champs get a bid. Effectively its an automatic bid, but if we had a 3 loss champ, we may not get a bid if two lower conferences had champs that ran the table

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2023, 01:53:52 PM »
There was never a chance that the SEC wasn't getting included.

It's the big 2 conferences now.  Thank God they expanded to 12.  Let's just hope they don't revoke autobid for Big 12.
There is no auto bid for the Big 12 per se.  The top 5 ranked conference champs get a bid. Effectively its an automatic bid, but if we had a 3 loss champ, we may not get a bid if two lower conferences had champs that ran the table

It'll essentially be a lock. I'm not worried about it as a conference going forward until they actually change the rules
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2023, 02:11:13 PM »
as a k-state fan, I don’t care if there’s a perception or reality that florida state got hosed.  do you think their fans would give a crap about fairness if the shoe was on the other foot and it was us left out?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #328 on: December 03, 2023, 02:16:54 PM »
as a k-state fan, I don’t care if there’s a perception or reality that florida state got hosed.  do you think their fans would give a crap about fairness if the shoe was on the other foot and it was us left out?
100% they wouldn't.  My dad told me all about 1998.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 03, 2023, 02:37:16 PM »
The committee got it right, sucks fsu's qb got injured but they got it right

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 03, 2023, 03:27:49 PM »
. The subjective “best” thing is a joke and a fraud to allow just this type of bs.

Bingo. It allows, as Mike Norvell pointed out, the committee to use fortune telling to pass everyone some bullshit, instead of just looking at the results to pick the four teams.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 03, 2023, 04:09:31 PM »
Not surprising that the committee wasn't able to figure out that an undefeated P5 champ should probably be in the playoffs.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 03, 2023, 05:55:04 PM »
I’m guessing it was a pretty easy decision for the committee, I watched about 3 minutes of their game last night and said there’s no way that team is getting in the playoff

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 03, 2023, 07:02:35 PM »
They are better

the whole notion of elevating teams based on who is "better" is a perversion.  the entire idea of sports is about what you have achieved.  what you have earned in competition.  not who you are.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #334 on: December 03, 2023, 07:11:04 PM »

They are better

the whole notion of elevating teams based on who is "better" is a perversion.  the entire idea of sports is about what you have achieved.  what you have earned in competition.  not who you are.

But not for college football. It's been about the logo on the helmet for 60+ years.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2023, 07:16:34 PM »
They are better

Well put.  As an entertainment fan (more than a sports fan), I am pleased with the result.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2023, 07:20:03 PM »
They are better

Michigan and Texas and Washington and Alabama have each earned more than Florida State has, sys, if that helps you

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2023, 07:25:43 PM »
I don't think relegating the ACC to non-power status is good for anyone, but here we are.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2023, 07:31:16 PM »
They would have got in with their starting QB, how is that hard to understand.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2023, 07:36:11 PM »
They are better

Michigan and Texas and Washington and Alabama have each earned more than Florida State has, sys, if that helps you

By what criteria?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 03, 2023, 07:39:28 PM »

They are better

By what criteria?

I'm not on the committee so I'm not sure. I'm just trying to help sys with his semantics hangup

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 03, 2023, 07:47:30 PM »
The weird thing about it is that it's happening to the Florida State Seminoles. It wouldn't be that surprising if Wake Forest would have gone undefeated and been left out.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 03, 2023, 08:05:51 PM »

I'm not sure how you can confidently claim that when they had the chance to penalize Florida State the previous two weeks, and didn't do so. If it's just about the broken leg, you tell us what changed between now and then? Their defense completely shutting down a previously top 25 offense made them a worse selection?

Not including a team because one person broke their leg, in game 11 instead of game 9 is insane.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 03, 2023, 08:20:22 PM »

I'm not sure how you can confidently claim that when they had the chance to penalize Florida State the previous two weeks, and didn't do so. If it's just about the broken leg, you tell us what changed between now and then? Their defense completely shutting down a previously top 25 offense made them a worse selection?

Not including a team because one person broke their leg, in game 11 instead of game 9 is insane.

Chairman literally said that's why they left them out on the show today.   If they were full strength and got left out I'd be rioting too.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 03, 2023, 08:20:38 PM »

They 100% would be in

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: December 03, 2023, 09:51:15 PM »

They were probably hoping that Louisville would beat them.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 04, 2023, 07:50:39 AM »
The committee definitely took the easy road in prior weeks’ rankings.  That was cowardly.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 04, 2023, 11:29:07 AM »

Chairman literally said that's why they left them out on the show today.   If they were full strength and got left out I'd be rioting too.

They literally make up something every year when they leave someone out, and it's never consistent. Pointing out an injury as the reason is just awful. They should shift the blame to the fans. Tell them it's because not enough of them watch the games.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 04, 2023, 11:49:46 AM »
Yep, the reasons are never the same. They left out the Big 12 one year because of the lack of a championship game, and dropped FSU spots this year after winning a championship game vs a team that is as good as anyone Bama beat.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 04, 2023, 11:58:50 AM »

He said several contradictory things. Corrigan also literally said they took Liberty over SMU because Liberty went 13-0 and SMU lost to OU and TCU.

The people who choose to be the chairs of these committees are sadists. You have to go on national television and have to justify and be the face and voice of some crap you probably don't even believe in. It's even worse for Corrigan, in this case, because he's got to deal with these people at conference meetings and even the commissioner released a statement dragging the eff outta him.