Author Topic: Diane, you're doing great!  (Read 1913 times)

Offline turnbull

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Diane, you're doing great!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2023, 06:04:53 AM »
Democrats would like Feinstein to retire… but the GOP won’t allow Democrats to replace her on the judiciary(it has to be agreed to committee assignments and the GOP wants the committee to be 10-10 so discharge petitions have to be filled, which are very timely) so she’ll stay there so Democrats have the Aye (11-10 ) vote for judges which allows for a faster confirmation.

McConnell is hanging on because he’s worried that the next GOP Leader won’t be Thune but someone insane like Scott or Vance.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2023, 10:41:51 AM »

The sys bait did not work

she voted correctly.  i am well represented.
:lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2023, 11:23:55 PM »
There should be no restrictions on who can run for any public office. There are octogenarians, noncitizens, convicts, teenagers, etc. who are far more capable of serving than some of the people who perfectly fit within whatever restrictions we have in place or whatever people want in place. The voters need to decide who represents them, not some arbitrary restriction.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2023, 08:19:12 AM »
The non-citizen part is ridiculous. 

The rest is whatever. 

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2023, 08:39:45 AM »
If the people want to amend the constitution to qualify candidates for office, it's within their rights. We already have minimum age restrictions for office, no reason to not have maximums if the electorate wants them.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2023, 10:05:08 AM »
I don't know how you argue this one.

The Mitch one either.

The idea that we don't have a mechanism in place to address this seems wild to me. 

Let's say back in 1780, or whatever, that your senator got kicked in the head by their stupid horse.  They recovered to the point that the were able go to the senate but were a complete drooling mess.  What was the plan?

I think the plan back then involved having multiday travel by horse drawn carriage to get to Philly, NY or DC, un-airconditioned facilities; and relying on enough of them saying 'eff this, I'm not going through that crap (sometimes literally) anymore.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »

Why? You do know that there are places where non-citizens are allowed to vote in state and local elections, right? I'm looking at you real funny if you think felons can hold office but non-citizens can't.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2023, 12:10:25 PM »

Why? You do know that there are places where non-citizens are allowed to vote in state and local elections, right? I'm looking at you real funny if you think felons can hold office but non-citizens can't.

My statement is with regard to higher office and non-citizens should absolutely not have access to those levels.  We live in a country where the quantity of money involved statistically can predict the winner of most elections.  We have major problems now with that.  I can't even imagine how bad it would get if those offices would be made openly for sale world wide.

Also, in a country where so many ppl get tossed in jail willy-nilly, I definitely think felons should have access to holding office and voting once time is served.  If you live here, pay taxes here, and got caught with an ounce when you were 19,  you should 100% have a vote in who your governor is.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2023, 12:45:47 PM »

My statement is with regard to higher office and non-citizens should absolutely not have access to those levels.  We live in a country where the quantity of money involved statistically can predict the winner of most elections.  We have major problems now with that.  I can't even imagine how bad it would get if those offices would be made openly for sale world wide.

Also, in a country where so many ppl get tossed in jail willy-nilly, I definitely think felons should have access to holding office and voting once time is served.  If you live here, pay taxes here, and got caught with an ounce when you were 19,  you should 100% have a vote in who your governor is.

Heavens knows that this country has never had an issue with citizens in government getting compromised by money foreign and/or domestic.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2023, 05:57:22 PM »

Heavens knows that this country has never had an issue with citizens in government getting compromised by money foreign and/or domestic.

Yep, that's what I said.  But when governments, cartels, and any other supremely bad acting group could literally mail their own local to the Senate doorstep and install them with their money, that would be a pretty bad thing.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2023, 06:38:22 PM »

Yep, that's what I said.  But when governments, cartels, and any other supremely bad acting group could literally mail their own local to the Senate doorstep and install them with their money, that would be a pretty bad thing.
I personally do think citizenship should be required, but it would be a really crappy mechanism for addressing the types of problems you’re listing. You’d be better of with stricter campaign financing limitations.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2023, 09:05:19 PM »

I agree.  However, we have control of one of these things now while the other one left the barn a long time ago.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2023, 09:24:26 PM »
It's cute that you people think senators actually do anything except vote how their staff or leadership tells them to.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2023, 10:17:55 PM »
It's cute that you people think senators actually do anything except vote how their staff or leadership tells them to.
Hey, that’s my line bad person

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2023, 07:38:21 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile