Author Topic: clarence thomas (and somehow diane feinstein) thread  (Read 7262 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: clarence thomas
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2023, 11:45:32 AM »
I have to tell you, in hind sight, maybe Anita Hill was right?!?!

There's a current podcast about Thomas, not about the stuff now, but his upbringing and it concludes with the confirmation hearings. America of the early 90s was really mumped up. It's pretty amazing how differently women and minorites were treated back then. There were so few women and black voices in Washington back then that Thomas was allowed to lie and bully without being checked all because whites, led by Joe Biden didn't feel like they could challenge him in fear of backlash from black voters. 30 years later and Joe Biden still only knows how to identify with black people by thinking about what southern black voters want.

Anyway, the podcast is really good and the federal government, starting with Joe Biden, owes Anita Hill a formal apology.

https://slate.com/podcasts/slow-burn/s8/becoming-justice-thomas

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2023, 12:54:42 PM »

There's a current podcast about Thomas, not about the stuff now, but his upbringing and it concludes with the confirmation hearings. America of the early 90s was really mumped up. It's pretty amazing how differently women and minorites were treated back then. There were so few women and black voices in Washington back then that Thomas was allowed to lie and bully without being checked all because whites, led by Joe Biden didn't feel like they could challenge him in fear of backlash from black voters. 30 years later and Joe Biden still only knows how to identify with black people by thinking about what southern black voters want.

Anyway, the podcast is really good and the federal government, starting with Joe Biden, owes Anita Hill a formal apology.

I think even at the time of his confirmation most if not all people in the room believed Anita Hill’s accusations were credible. But Thomas got some good coaching…get out in front, say this whole confirmation hearing has been a modern day lynching, and nobody was going to dare being on the opposite side of that.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »

I think even at the time of his confirmation most if not all people in the room believed Anita Hill’s accusations were credible. But Thomas got some good coaching…get out in front, say this whole confirmation hearing has been a modern day lynching, and nobody was going to dare being on the opposite side of that.

Right, because there were no women or black people to challenge that bullshit

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2023, 03:30:22 PM »

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2023, 07:52:06 AM »
since this is also somehow the feinstein thread I'm posting the weekend at bernies antics story here

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1657378439253438469
Holy crap

https://twitter.com/boreskes/status/1658580390053924866

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they were almost literally rolling her corpse out there

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: clarence thomas (and somehow diane feinstein) thread
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2023, 08:28:32 AM »
Down with the gerontocracy.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2023, 08:35:49 AM »
Elder woman held hostage by her employees for last period of life so coworkers could prosper.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2023, 11:50:03 AM »
Elder woman held hostage by her employees for last period of life so coworkers could prosper.

Ehhh, she could have stepped aside. She chose not to. Newsome better appoint an interim quick so we can avoid a (prolonged) shutdown. Wouldn't be surprised if he already has a list ready, given this foreseeable event.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2023, 12:28:00 PM »
That's assuming she had the mental capacity to make that self-assessment and determination. Something I would not take for granted in this case.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2023, 12:47:37 PM »
She voted yesterday :lol:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2023, 12:49:57 PM »
That's assuming she had the mental capacity to make that self-assessment and determination. Something I would not take for granted in this case.

She apparently had the mental capacity to assign powers of attorney to her daughter a month or two ago. If we're assuming she was just completely senile, I think it would be her family's responsibility more so than her staffer's to tell her it's time to step down.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2023, 12:51:27 PM »

Ehhh, she could have stepped aside. She chose not to. Newsome better appoint an interim quick so we can avoid a (prolonged) shutdown. Wouldn't be surprised if he already has a list ready, given this foreseeable event.

Supposedly, Newsome’s list is why she did t step down. Apparently, there is a difference of opinion between him and other party members in who should be set up to take her place.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2023, 01:02:48 PM »

Supposedly, Newsome’s list is why she did t step down. Apparently, there is a difference of opinion between him and other party members in who should be set up to take her place.

But this is just an interim. There will be an election in a year. A warm body is better than ... this.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2023, 01:04:32 PM »
He should choose himself
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2023, 01:15:39 PM »
He should choose himself

Inspired by the TexAgs thread, if he were really playing the game of thrones, he'd appoint Kamala, then become VP, then supplant Biden.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2023, 01:25:27 PM »
He should choose himself

Inspired by the TexAgs thread, if he were really playing the game of thrones, he'd appoint Kamala, then become VP, then supplant Biden.
Maybe he'll feed him to Commander?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
clarence thomas (and somehow diane feinstein) thread
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2023, 03:36:08 PM »
He should choose himself

I know this is based on texags and you are smart, but wouldn’t Kamala just say no? Which would be the right call for her.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2023, 04:05:04 PM »

He should choose himself

Maybe he'll feed him to Commander?

just like GoT, the Hound is one of the best characters. Wish we had a Commander POV chapter

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 04, 2023, 08:26:27 PM »
since this is also somehow the feinstein thread I'm posting the weekend at bernies antics story here

https://twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1657378439253438469
Holy crap

https://twitter.com/boreskes/status/1658580390053924866

they were almost literally rolling her corpse out there
Honestly, folks, nobody fuckin’ knows how long they bernie’d her corpse

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1709740739553329275?s=46&t=odWzhuZU7P443NcVwlC1iQ

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 30, 2023, 11:52:25 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/us/politics/clarence-thomas-rv-loan-senate-inquiry.html

oops, just forgot to report my friend bought me a $250,000 RV and then I made a few interest payments to my friend maybe and then my friend at UnitedHealth Group said "no worries, keep on truckin!"

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »
Reads like a page out of the Biden-Americore playbook.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2023, 04:43:30 PM »
Reads like a page out of the Biden-Americore playbook.
I’m glad we all agree that this is egregious ethical behavior worthy of impeachment and removal from office.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2023, 06:01:36 PM »
I, for one, am tired of the selective outrage from kk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2023, 07:04:42 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/25/us/politics/clarence-thomas-rv-loan-senate-inquiry.html

oops, just forgot to report my friend bought me a $250,000 RV and then I made a few interest payments to my friend maybe and then my friend at UnitedHealth Group said "no worries, keep on truckin!"
I don’t know about you guys, but I would totally suck someone’s dick for a $250K RV.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2023, 07:25:34 PM »

I don’t know about you guys, but I would totally suck someone’s dick for a $250K RV.
Could I take the cash option?