Author Topic: Kansas High School Basketball Stories, ITT  (Read 2929 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas High School Basketball Stories, ITT
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2023, 09:46:19 AM »
Best player I ever saw in person in high school was probably Craig Duerksen from Hillsboro that went to Seaton Hall or Jacy Holloway from Moundridge. Duerksen threw down a 360 dunk on a breakaway against Andover in our Adolph Rupp tournament.

Mennonite belt is very good at basketball.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2023, 09:50:12 AM »
Tyson and Micah Ratzlaff from Hillsboro were both D1 studs. Watched Tyson dismantle Minneapolis’ best team in 20 years. Played against Micah in a freshman tournament, but that was before he hit his growth spurt.

Saw Jon McGraw dunk a ball from the volleyball line on one power dribble.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2023, 11:25:34 AM »
I never knew MIR was such a super stud.

We were a top 10 team in the region so our 27 year old first year coach was really ambitious with scheduling. Also back then the Western Athletic Conference, was amazing in basketball. Garden and Dodge were both top 5 in 6A. Liberal, Hays, and Great Bend were all ranked in 5A.

Who was the coach back then?  I think we decided that you're a couple of years older than me, and I didn't play basketball, so I'm drawing a blank.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2023, 11:55:35 AM »
Jeff Chronister?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 12:00:20 PM by CHONGS »

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2023, 12:01:08 PM »
But when I was there we were pretty bad at bball if I recall correctly.

Offline Catchacold

• Combo-Fan
  • Z28gY2F0cy4=
    • View Profile
    • wildcatgrowl.com
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2023, 12:35:12 PM »
I did play against him and his cousin D'Angelo. Maurice was a freshman, D'Angelo was a senior. They were #1 in 3A we were #2 in 6A. I guarded both of them at one point in the game, we whooped that ass :excited:

We played against a ridiculous amount of D1 and pro athletes my senior year alone.
Maurice Evans
D'Angelo Evans
Brian Goolsby
Jereme Tuman
Lamar Chapman
TJ Pugh
Othello Meadows
Scott Elarton
Chris Marsh
A couple of others I can't remember right now

Maybe a year or two older, but Martin Lewis was a dude

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »

yeah i remember we sucked but were good at football.  i have no memory of who Chronister is, but I was a BBS nerd so  :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2023, 04:32:56 PM »
Jeff Chronister?

Yes

Jeff was only at Garden for three years 93-94, 94-95, and 95-96. Disgraced steroid cheater, Dave Meadows, who was the athletic director and football coach, was a complete bad person to work for and he ran off back to back successful basketball coaches. Rick Beene and Jeff Chronister both went on to win state championships after leaving Garden and that piece of crap Meadows. If I saw him today, I might be tempted to spit in his face.

He's a year older than me. I remember watching him dunk when he was in the 7th grade.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2023, 09:17:13 PM »
Jeff Chronister?

Yes

Jeff was only at Garden for three years 93-94, 94-95, and 95-96. Disgraced steroid cheater, Dave Meadows, who was the athletic director and football coach, was a complete bad person to work for and he ran off back to back successful basketball coaches. Rick Beene and Jeff Chronister both went on to win state championships after leaving Garden and that piece of crap Meadows. If I saw him today, I might be tempted to spit in his face.

He's a year older than me. I remember watching him dunk when he was in the 7th grade.

Is that the same Martin Lewis who played at Butler and Seward and then in the NBA?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2023, 03:47:39 AM »
Jeff Chronister?

Yes

Is that the same Martin Lewis who played at Butler and Seward and then in the NBA?

Yep

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2023, 07:38:01 PM »
Best player I ever saw in person in high school was probably Craig Duerksen from Hillsboro that went to Seaton Hall or Jacy Holloway from Moundridge. Duerksen threw down a 360 dunk on a breakaway against Andover in our Adolph Rupp tournament.
Moundridge won four consecutive state championships in the early 90's

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 11:35:21 PM »
PoRTIS
    BEAT
  ALTON
  "59"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 11:41:00 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2023, 09:25:46 AM »
PoRTIS
    BEAT
  ALTON
  "59"
Titletowns, baby.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2023, 10:51:26 AM »
PoRTIS
    BEAT
  ALTON
  "59"
Titletowns, baby.

Thank you! That is a wonderful story. Full text in link w photo. cannot copy/paste tho. just command/f portis and you will find fast

https://ochfhonors.wordpress.com/

Crazy that there were at one time seven high schools in Osborne County alone. County population at that time was 8,500. It's now 3,500

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2023, 11:37:53 AM »
PoRTIS
    BEAT
  ALTON
  "59"
Titletowns, baby.

Thank you! That is a wonderful story. Full text in link w photo. cannot copy/paste tho. just command/f portis and you will find fast

https://ochfhonors.wordpress.com/

Crazy that there were at one time seven high schools in Osborne County alone. County population at that time was 8,500. It's now 3,500
John Locke coached in Osborne County (Covert and Natoma). Won a state championship as a player at Covert in 1926 and then won four state championships at Natoma (3 boys, 1 girls) as a coach. 731 coaching victories which was the state record up until a few years ago. Assistant coach for the 1979 McDonalds All-American Game. A lot of those wins came against some really tiny schools but still an impressive record of success that landed him in the KS Sports Hall of Fame:

https://www.kshof.org/team/john-locke

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2023, 12:52:23 PM »
Stone...where did you go to high school?
@mikec2w

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2023, 02:09:01 PM »
A very tiny place nestled amongst sandstone outcropings. I don't want to doxx myself and all the shitposting I've done on gE over the years.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2023, 03:05:47 PM »
A very tiny place nestled amongst sandstone outcropings. I don't want to doxx myself and all the shitposting I've done on gE over the years.

I bet you spent a lot of time at Lake Wilson.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 03:25:19 PM »

I have done some camping there (fled my campsite for the Midland Hotel in Wilson to escape the wrath of a massive thunderstorm on one occasion). I've eaten a fair amount of smoked meat and cheese products from Brandt's Market down the road in Lucas.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2023, 03:30:35 PM »
I saw Nate Cornejo (future MLB'er) take one dribble from the three point line in a half court setting and dunk it one-handed in a high school game. In my final year of Babe Ruth he through a curveball that sent me into the dirt and fell in for a called strike.

Also saw future KSU Cat Donnie Wallace play in high school. I don't remember him doing anything particularly impressive but he was insanely skinny. He was ultimately Frank'd by Wooly.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2023, 04:39:39 PM »
Olympic high jumper Nathan Leeper was in our small town sw ks sports league and threw down some NBA dunk contest level dunks on us a bunch of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2023, 06:26:36 PM »
Olympic high jumper Nathan Leeper was in our small town sw ks sports league and threw down some NBA dunk contest level dunks on us a bunch of times.

There were some freakish small school KS high jumpers in the 1990's. Ed Broxterman from B and B, Leeper from Protection and Shane Lavy from Glasco (went over 7 foot in HS and jumped at Nebraska, IIRC). Leeper is just the perfect name for a high jumper.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2023, 08:05:35 PM »

I played summer ball with Leeper, he wasn't really a basketball player but an absolute freak athlete. He was easily the most athletic player I've been on a court with, and that includes DoD era football players.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2023, 09:32:32 AM »

I have done some camping there (fled my campsite for the Midland Hotel in Wilson to escape the wrath of a massive thunderstorm on one occasion). I've eaten a fair amount of smoked meat and cheese products from Brandt's Market down the road in Lucas.
The bacon from Brandt's is out of this world good. :lick:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2023, 09:38:45 AM »

LOL love his bio, the Olympics are like the 5th thing mentioned

Nathan Leeper, from Protection, Kansas, grew up hunting and fishing in the notorious deer unit 16 in Comanche County. Nathan was raised farming and ranching and always had a strong agricultural background. He's always been a diehard traditional archery hunter and has a wall of trophy deer to prove it. Nathan has always had a passion for growing big deer, managing land, and sustaining a healthy herd.

Aside from chasing deer, Nathan currently resides in Pratt, Kansas with his wife, Jenny, and their three beautiful children; Taylor, Brynn, and Colson. Additionally, Nathan is a well-known Olympian and competed in the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia in the high jump.

His knowledge of farming, ranching, and killing big deer sets him aside from any other land agent in Kansas. Nathan is more than qualified to help assist you in selling or buying the property of your dreams. 

https://redcedarland.com/nathan-leeper/