Author Topic: Kansas High School Basketball Stories, ITT  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Kansas High School Basketball Stories, ITT
« on: January 12, 2023, 08:52:13 PM »
So I was going down a rabbit hole about KS high school basketball coaches and ran across this article about Keith Riley at Hill City. He has been a coach there since 1967. Still the head coach. Has won 3 state titles. Coached his son Geoff to a 2A state title in 1998. Has the ringneck off to a 5-1 start this season. Share incredible KS high basketball stories, ITT. If you like Hoosiers, you will love this thread.

https://sportsinks.com/part-i-of-iii-thats-what-he-loves-to-do-20-stories-on-how-hill-citys-keith-riley-moved-past-john-lockes-legendary-731-victories/

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas High School Basketball Stories, ITT
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 09:11:59 PM »
Also, before he was our starting center, Hayden Gillum had a role in making this story involving the Hanover Wildcats go viral:

https://twitter.com/Hayden_Gillum55/status/972315946890203136?s=20&t=pdrBKBbU4m16AyFTvHYUmA
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 09:21:02 PM by Sandstone Outcropping »

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 01:50:09 PM »
Classic footage of 1996 Sylvan Unified Mustangs on their way to a 1A state championship. They would go on to eliminate a heavily favored Brewster squad (starring future K-Stater Josh Reid who had been obliterating all kinds of statistical records) in the semifinals of the state tourney.

https://youtu.be/HA1LgsGHUyY

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 02:10:17 PM »
That is a big ass team for 1A.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 02:22:30 PM »
Classic footage of 1996 Sylvan Unified Mustangs on their way to a 1A state championship. They would go on to eliminate a heavily favored Brewster squad (starring future K-Stater Josh Reid who had been obliterating all kinds of statistical records) in the semifinals of the state tourney.

Absolute beasts in football as well. Post rock assassins
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »

They were rugged, af on the gridiron -- the most physical 8-man teams I've ever seen.

We played against this team in basketball and got totally ran out of the gym. Their court felt like it was 120 feet long. I wonder what Darris (sophomore on this team) and Clint (freshman on this team) are up to these days.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2023, 03:53:37 PM »

They were rugged, af on the gridiron -- the most physical 8-man teams I've ever seen.

We played against this team in basketball and got totally ran out of the gym. Their court felt like it was 120 feet long. I wonder what Darris (sophomore on this team) and Clint (freshman on this team) are up to these days.

I believe they had ~60 boys in HS at that time and like 55 played football. Seems as basketball was similar.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 12:47:48 AM »
When I was a jr our guys won state (6A) against the hutch salt hawks. For all the talent on that team I believe Taj Grey was the only one who would go on to play D1 ball (Oklahoma)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023, 10:22:37 AM »
When I was a jr our guys won state (6A) against the hutch salt hawks. For all the talent on that team I believe Taj Grey was the only one who would go on to play D1 ball (Oklahoma)
Amazing talent differential between 6A school and small schools. Still a quantum leap from that level to D1

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »
I had some classes with a guy who was on the varsity team that year and literally never played a single minute. Like not even mop up time. And one time I got into a little 4 on 4 pickup game against him - and granted that meant it was 7 marginally athletic guys and 1 varsity basketball player but anyway my point is it could have been 7 on 1 and he still would have mushroom stamped all of us in the face, with ease.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 12:07:50 PM »

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 12:32:22 PM »
Korleone Young? ::takes drag of cigarette:: I haven’t heard that name in years

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 12:33:57 PM »
Remember this dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHYkyAUyAI
I had forgotten all about that guy but I remember the name now that you bring it up.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 01:25:43 PM »
That video was a bit weird, but the clips of Young showed that he was far beyond his competition in high school. I have no idea if he played on the AAU circuit at the time, but, in theory, that would have offered a better glimpse of how he stacked up and, presumably, would have informed his decision to go straight to the NBA.

I saw him play a few times in high school and the fact that he couldn't really shoot beyond 10 feet didn't matter - he was so much more dynamic than everyone he was going against.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 01:27:52 PM »
That video was a bit weird, but the clips of Young showed that he was far beyond his competition in high school. I have no idea if he played on the AAU circuit at the time, but, in theory, that would have offered a better glimpse of how he stacked up and, presumably, would have informed his decision to go straight to the NBA.

I saw him play a few times in high school and the fact that he couldn't really shoot beyond 10 feet didn't matter - he was so much more dynamic than everyone he was going against.
Another top KS player from that time frame was L Dee Murdock from Columbus. No idea what he did after HS.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 01:41:29 PM »

Yeah, that video was so weird that I couldn't make it to the end. I'm a contemporary of Korleone but I never played against him. He didn't play AAU, as we know it now. KSHSAA rules made it hard and there weren't a lot of those teams around the state. He did play on some summer teams though. He was only at East for two years, then he went to a military prep on the east coast, to get ready for the NBA, he was never going to college. I'm sure once he went out east he played traditional AAU ball.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 01:51:46 PM »

Yeah, that video was so weird that I couldn't make it to the end. I'm a contemporary of Korleone but I never played against him. He didn't play AAU, as we know it now. KSHSAA rules made it hard and there weren't a lot of those teams around the state. He did play on some summer teams though. He was only at East for two years, then he went to a military prep on the east coast, to get ready for the NBA, he was never going to college. I'm sure once he went out east he played traditional AAU ball.

That's right - totally forgot about that prep year at Hargrave. I think I must have seen him in the 96-97 bball season at East.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 02:01:19 PM »
Maurice Evans was also a Wichita basketballer from that same time.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 02:58:13 PM »

I did play against him and his cousin D'Angelo. Maurice was a freshman, D'Angelo was a senior. They were #1 in 3A we were #2 in 6A. I guarded both of them at one point in the game, we whooped that ass :excited:

We played against a ridiculous amount of D1 and pro athletes my senior year alone.
Maurice Evans
D'Angelo Evans
Brian Goolsby
Jereme Tuman
Lamar Chapman
TJ Pugh
Othello Meadows
Scott Elarton
Chris Marsh
A couple of others I can't remember right now

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2023, 05:07:28 PM »

Evans was the guy who prompted the eternal baby Roy Williams to call him after his announcement and tell him he couldn't believe a kid would pick a school like Wichita State over KU, that he would regret it for the rest of his life, etc.

Real grown up stuff.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2023, 07:10:34 PM »
I never knew MIR was such a super stud.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2023, 09:09:18 PM »
I never knew MIR was such a super stud.

We were a top 10 team in the region so our 27 year old first year coach was really ambitious with scheduling. Also back then the Western Athletic Conference, was amazing in basketball. Garden and Dodge were both top 5 in 6A. Liberal, Hays, and Great Bend were all ranked in 5A.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2023, 09:19:37 PM »

Young played AAU on the 76ers with the Rush bros, Corey Magette, etc

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2023, 11:53:18 PM »

Young played AAU on the 76ers with the Rush bros, Corey Magette, etc

Do you happen to remember what year he started playing with them? They were based on the Missouri side, right? One of my high school teammates played AAU in Oklahoma but even then, he didn't get to play with them very much. I can't remember a single Kansas based AAU basketball program back then.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2023, 09:11:35 AM »
Best player I ever saw in person in high school was probably Craig Duerksen from Hillsboro that went to Seaton Hall or Jacy Holloway from Moundridge. Duerksen threw down a 360 dunk on a breakaway against Andover in our Adolph Rupp tournament.