Author Topic: KSU fball bad non-con losses; some perspective  (Read 3403 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
KSU fball bad non-con losses; some perspective
« on: September 18, 2022, 09:07:06 AM »
My drunken belligerence aside, yes losing at home to Tulane as a Dr. P hopeful was rough and unexpected. But as esteemed poster MIR pointed out non-elites lose this type of game all the time, and often to far lesser opponents.

And as much as one would like to believe it, we are no longer elite and haven’t been for a long time. Would our DOD and peak Snyder 2.0 mopped the floor with Tulane? I’d say yes, but we also rarely played a non-con team with a pulse in those days.

Off the top of my head, our bad non-con losses are:
2003 - Marshall, Woof city
2004 - Fresno, harbinger of bad things to come
2009 - at Louisiana, weird road game early in 2.0
2013 - NDSU, I can’t unsee all the green and yellow overalls
2017 - at Vanderbilt, the Nashville party that wasn’t
2020 - Arkansas State, weird covid stuff?
2022 - Tulane, offensive embarrassment, Klein honeymoon over?

We’ve had some doozies over the year, but let’s be honest, no more and no worse than most P5 pretty goods, which is what we are.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KSU fball bad non-con losses; some perspective
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 09:38:53 AM »
This Tulane team is way better than all of those teams other than Fresno and NDSU.

Speaking of NDSU, they lost to Arizona last night :surprised:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 09:41:42 AM »
I'd love to see that this Tulane team is actually pretty good. 

But man, I just don't know....time will tell.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 09:51:51 AM »

Even disregarding their obvious talent at QB and RB, do their on field results to this point not matter? Seems very inconsistent to take KU seriously, but be like, nah, I haven't seen enough, with Tulane. Tulane has a higher FPI and SP+.

I know acknowledging Tulane is decent busts a lot of narratives and self loathing, so I know I'm fighting an uphill battle here, but I'm not going to ignore, my eyes, the results, and the data, because my feelings are hurt.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2022, 09:58:29 AM »
I mean it's the classic wishful thinking vs dooming with limited data.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2022, 09:59:11 AM »

Even disregarding their obvious talent at QB and RB, do their on field results to this point not matter? Seems very inconsistent to take KU seriously, but be like, nah, I haven't seen enough, with Tulane. Tulane has a higher FPI and SP+.

I know acknowledging Tulane is decent busts a lot of narratives and self loathing, so I know I'm fighting an uphill battle here, but I'm not going to ignore, my eyes, the results, and the data, because my feelings are hurt.

I'm still deep in my feels this morning so right now Tulane is the worst team in the nation, we are so bad we will probably get kicked out of the Big 12, and I am just counting down the days until basketball season starts.  No amount of logic or actual facts will change that.  I just need my feelings validated and maybe a hug. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »
Good post by nickname and rain is once again the voice of reason. Honestly, I’m disappointed as F. But to put a positive spin on it, if we are the same team that everybody thought we were at the beginning of the season, things couldn’t have set up better for a win at Oklahoma. Odds are not in our favor, but us coming off a home loss and then coming off the road win sets up pretty good for us psychologically. 9AM just needs to pull his head out of his ass and play like he did at Nebraska less to atO’s at critical times. My fear is that we don’t have the wide receivers like he had at Nebraska.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2022, 10:08:07 AM »

I'm still deep in my feels this morning so right now Tulane is the worst team in the nation, we are so bad we will probably get kicked out of the Big 12, and I am just counting down the days until basketball season starts.  No amount of logic or actual facts will change that.  I just need my feelings validated and maybe a hug. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

I'll be glad to give you one, but homie don't go for that s#@t.  :D
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2022, 11:01:28 AM »
It sting a lot cause of the combo post week high of demolishing mizzou and looking forward to seeing how it really will be vs OU. Tulane is a solid team, said that well before the game, but still, just, a god awful offensive performance, coaches, players, w/e, it all sucked. I think just the utter lack of anything going offensively made it hurt the most, and a lot of it was not so much Tulane's defense as our lack of execution and imaginative play calling.

Can't remember who posted it but it truly seemed like every drive was Deuce run for 1 yard, Deuce run for 1 yard, pass for 6 yards, punt, maybe go for it, ad nauseum, no inspirational play, no attempts to open up the field, so of course Tulane would sell pout even more on the run making it worse. It was like we just didn't care to play offense, at all.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2022, 11:09:45 AM »
normally measured, optimistic-to-a-fault Nic bringing some spice the last 16 hours. I like the zeal. I wish I could join you in the righteous indignation but I think yesterday showed me what this team likely is. With SD it was “oh we’re just not opening up the playbook” then with mizz it was “well it’s pouring rain and also they aren’t very good so no reason to open up the playbook “ but now it feels pretty clear this is about as wide open as the playbook gets, at least under AM.

With all those bad losses mentioned above they were frustrating bc it was obvious we were the better team and we just weren’t getting it done…except Fresno. That year we just weren’t good. We had an all American RB but what we didn’t have was a great O Line nor did we have a dynamic quarterback. I think that’s what we see this year. Kind of crazy to think that a serviceable to good QB is probably the difference between a ~.500 season and competing for a Dr Pepper. But I think unless AM magically turns it around, we’re looking down the barrel of a 4-8, maybe 5-7 season.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2022, 07:50:42 PM »
At what point does somebody else notice our QB development over the last ~5-8 years or so has been dismal at best?

At least 90 other teams manage to consistently field freshmen, RS freshmen or Sophomores that at least look serviceable. Meanwhile we’ve what some among our peer group would call an embarrassment of riches sitting twiddling their thumbs and needed to go shopping the transfer portal in hopes of finding a retread and stumble along…

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2022, 08:04:45 PM »
At what point does somebody else notice our QB development over the last ~5-8 years or so has been dismal at best?

Who are these 90 teams developing serviceable backups, particularly underclassmen, name 5.

Buddy. The only quarterback they've played went from not being able to beat out Alex Delton to making an NFL roster. We're there games into that NFL quarterback being gone. Katdaddy wants to give one of our backups the Heisman, you are calling our backup quarterback development dismal. I think you might be overreacting.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2022, 08:09:46 PM »
Then why is Will ‘red shirting’ and Rubley still on the bench?

Why’d we have to go to the portal?

Also, if you havnt yet go watch the Miami preseason games and tell me with a straight face Sky looks like the same QB we saw the last half decade.

Not saying any of them should be (or would be) in heisman contention but they should at least be capable of taking the field with some level of comfort that they won’t trip over the 50 yard line on a designed run…

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2022, 09:11:53 PM »
I think the receivers are the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2022, 09:46:24 PM »

Also, if you havnt yet go watch the Miami preseason games and tell me with a straight face Sky looks like the same QB we saw the last half decade.

Not saying any of them should be (or would be) in heisman contention but they should at least be capable of taking the field with some level of comfort that they won’t trip over the 50 yard line on a designed run…

Will is only redshirting if Martinez stays healthy and starts to get better.

Rubley isn't playing because the starting quarterback has had one poor game and he's thrown 4 passes against FCS backups.

We went into the portal because we don't have any upperclassmen quarterbacks and the guy who just left is in the NFL.

Yeah, bro Skylar is the same quarterback, it's why he was drafted. He's healthy and has literal NFL talent all around him.

You have no idea what the backups are or aren't capable of, they're college backups for a reason. I'd imagine they're probably similar to other college backup quarterbacks.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 09:46:50 PM »

They are not.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2022, 09:54:24 PM »

There were 21 top 250 QBs in Rubley's class 3 of them, Caleb Williams, Quinn Ewers, and Jaxson Dart are starters, all three of them have transferred already.

15 top 250 QBs in Howard's class. Only 4 of them are starting, DJamer U., Anthony Richardson, CJ Stroud, and Bryce Young. Two of those dudes are likely to not be starters for much longer.

Your statement about young QBs is real wrong

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 10:18:55 PM »
Apparently, you do not understand what I'm saying about Rubley.  They just need to let him play, as in the two previous games so he'll have some experience in case AM gets hurt or is a flop.  At this point, we and the coaches don't know what they got until they give him some meaningful game time.  Colin Klien is a perfect example of coaches not knowing what they had.  He was a QB in high school and they had him playing the receiver position.  He got put in real game time during the UT game and showed his talent.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 11:22:45 PM »
He did play katdaddy, he played in both games.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 06:33:10 AM »

They are not.

Our WR talent is most definitely a problem, but I agree they are not THE problem.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2022, 09:06:50 AM »
He did play katdaddy, he played in both games.

He played a very limited time as it was only one short drive for SD and the last couple minutes of the MU game.  He needs some meaning full time, so he can get used to the speed and athletism of D1 football.  We already know what we got with Howard so let's give Rubley a chance to see what he can do.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2022, 09:33:25 AM »
That game felt a lot like the NDSU game. Close throughout and they just choked the life out of us with that final scoring drive.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2022, 10:06:50 AM »
We need the QB to go through his progression so that the check valve option is last instead of first. If Martinez can't or won't do that, then I'd be fine with putting Howard out there, turnovers and all.