Author Topic: 2022 Non Cats College Football Games Discussion Thread  (Read 24951 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Non Cats College Football Games Discussion Thread
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2022, 09:26:58 PM »
I’m confused what does it gain you to call a fair catch? Just that they can’t tackle you (assuming you field it cleanly)

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2022, 09:55:30 PM »
I’m confused what does it gain you to call a fair catch? Just that they can’t tackle you (assuming you field it cleanly)

The halo rule. The kicking team can't be within 3 feet of you as you catch the ball or it's a penalty.  That's a lot of room on an onside kick scrum.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2022, 10:04:44 PM »
That's wrong, the halo rule has been gone for years. You do, however, get the chance to cleanly field the ball without interference. On the play against Tech, not only did Oklahoma State get the ball, even though tech recovered it, but Oklahoma State also got an additional 15 yards of field position for kick catch interference.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 10, 2022, 09:54:51 AM »
You can call a fair catch even if the ball is driven into the ground first.

What's most heads up about this play is it isn't something the coaches told him to do coming out of a time out in the middle of the game. This onside attempt was completely out of the blue, smart kid.

You can call for a fair catch if it's driven into the ground, but the referees are not going to grant you the opportunity for a fair catch.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 10, 2022, 10:01:40 AM »

What's most heads up about this play is it isn't something the coaches told him to do coming out of a time out in the middle of the game. This onside attempt was completely out of the blue, smart kid.

You can call for a fair catch if it's driven into the ground, but the referees are not going to grant you the opportunity for a fair catch.

I'm pretty sure most referees are going to follow the rule book and grant you the opportunity to catch the ball.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 10, 2022, 10:19:32 AM »

I'm pretty sure most referees are going to follow the rule book and grant you the opportunity to catch the ball.

Is the NCAA different than the NFL on this?

A Fair Catch is an unhindered catch of a scrimmage kick that has crossed the line of scrimmage and has not touched the ground, or of a free kick that has not touched the ground, by a player of the receiving team who has given a valid fair-catch signal.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2022, 10:32:15 AM »

Is the NCAA different than the NFL on this?

A Fair Catch is an unhindered catch of a scrimmage kick that has crossed the line of scrimmage and has not touched the ground, or of a free kick that has not touched the ground, by a player of the receiving team who has given a valid fair-catch signal.

Quote from: NCAA Rule Book

Invalid Signal
ARTICLE 3. An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
a. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above); or
b. That is given after a scrimmage kick is caught beyond the neutral zone,
strikes the ground or touches another player beyond the neutral zone (A.R.
6-5-3-III-V); or
c. That is given after a free kick is caught, strikes the ground or touches
another player. [Exception: Rule 6-4-1-f

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2022, 10:37:32 AM »
According to the NCAA rule book, “a fair catch of a free kick is a catch by a Team B player who has made a valid signal during an untouched free kick.” Additionally, the rule book states that “during a free kick, a player of the receiving team in position to receive the ball has the same kick-catch and fair-catch protection whether the ball is kicked directly off the tee or is immediately driven to the ground, strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of the ball kicked directly off the tee.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/oklahoma-state-player-uses-fair-catch-to-exploit-rule-book-and-ruin-a-texas-tech-onside-kick-202747283.html

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2022, 10:46:27 AM »
wow so Sean was allegedly this special teams genius and yet i do not recall anyone on our hands team ever signal for a fair catch on an onside kick, absolutely pathetic.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2022, 10:48:44 AM »
According to the NCAA rule book, “a fair catch of a free kick is a catch by a Team B player who has made a valid signal during an untouched free kick.” Additionally, the rule book states that “during a free kick, a player of the receiving team in position to receive the ball has the same kick-catch and fair-catch protection whether the ball is kicked directly off the tee or is immediately driven to the ground, strikes the ground once and goes into the air in the manner of the ball kicked directly off the tee.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/oklahoma-state-player-uses-fair-catch-to-exploit-rule-book-and-ruin-a-texas-tech-onside-kick-202747283.html

So if it's driven into the ground, hits the ground twice (or more), no fair catch?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2022, 10:51:16 AM »

So if it's driven into the ground, hits the ground twice (or more), no fair catch?

I think you can fair catch if it is driven into the ground for a big bounce, but if it's a grounder that takes a weird hop, you can't fair catch it.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2022, 10:53:16 AM »

I think you can fair catch if it is driven into the ground for a big bounce, but if it's a grounder that takes a weird hop, you can't fair catch it.

Then why the clause in the rule about the ball hitting the ground once? I think if a kicker gets the ball to hit the ground 2-3 times and then pop up high, there would be no fair catch.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was saying. A ball that hits the ground 2-3 times and then pops up is a grounder that takes a weird bounce.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2022, 10:56:03 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was saying. A ball that hits the ground 2-3 times and then pops up is a grounder that takes a weird bounce.

Ok. That's what I was thinking of in terms of driven into the ground.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »

Then why the clause in the rule about the ball hitting the ground once? I think if a kicker gets the ball to hit the ground 2-3 times and then pop up high, there would be no fair catch.

Kickers are unlikely to be able to consistently have it hit the ground multiple times for a high bounce.  Kickers can consistently nail it into the turf.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2022, 11:29:23 AM »

Kickers are unlikely to be able to consistently have it hit the ground multiple times for a high bounce.  Kickers can consistently nail it into the turf.
Which explains why you hardly ever see that. Usually they’re kicked as grounders that bounce several times before going 10 yards.

But to MIR’s point, that’s not what TTU was doing here. They were trying to kick it to an empty space and catch OSU off guard. The returner wasn’t exploiting some obscure rule, they were just playing very heads up to react appropriately.

Online john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2022, 03:18:02 PM »
If reading correctly, the ball can hit the ground in the neutral zone (within 10 yds from line of scrimmage) and still call a fair catch. Once it hits the ground past the neutral zone, can no longer call for a fair catch.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2022, 11:27:03 AM »
Wild to watch a Kansas football game on ESPN2 in New York and see an ad for the Kansas governor race. I don't think I've ever seen that for another state (but I don't watch many non-ksu games)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 15, 2022, 11:38:58 AM »
ISU's center cheats to draw offsides IMO. I thought I saw it against us and confirmed it against Texas

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 15, 2022, 12:40:50 PM »
Wild to watch a Kansas football game on ESPN2 in New York and see an ad for the Kansas governor race. I don't think I've ever seen that for another state (but I don't watch many non-ksu games)

Was she on a forklift?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 15, 2022, 12:59:46 PM »
You guys heard of this Robinson kid at UT? If not he’s a running back and he might be the real deal

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 15, 2022, 01:33:59 PM »
I’d like to see ISU clip Texas here. Need their confidence lowered.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 15, 2022, 01:34:27 PM »
ISU being a good road win would be nice.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 15, 2022, 01:43:04 PM »
ISU being a good road win would be nice.

Let's see if they can man up now.  I would love to see this upset. :drool:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 15, 2022, 01:49:42 PM »
Yep