Author Topic: Thread for when someone on the other side does something good  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
How about a thread where we give credit to someone on the "other side" of the political spectrum, in a position of power or influence, that we agree with.

I liked some of the stuff Dick Cheny's daughter has said lately.  Made me really think I might be able to compromise more with the "other side" if there were more folks like her. 

Obviously this will be a seldom trafficked thread.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for when someone on the other side does something good
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 03:55:47 PM »
I also want to posthumously apologize to George Sr for my mocking of Compassionate Conservatism years ago. I'd kill a drifter for the chance to vote for that sort of thing today.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Thread for when someone on the other side does something good
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 03:56:36 PM »
I like a lot of what I hear from Bernie Sanders. Not his actual policy plays, which are dogshit, but his sincerity and selflessness in trying to work for things you can tell he legitimately believes in to help others. There isn’t much of that in politics, outside of really evil/ghoulish crap you can tell these freaks legitimately believe in.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 04:00:29 PM »
I like a lot of what I hear from Bernie Sanders. Not his actual policy plays, which are dogshit, but his sincerity and selflessness in trying to work for things you can tell he legitimately believes in to help others. There isn’t much of that in politics, outside of really evil/ghoulish crap you can tell these freaks legitimately believe in.

Agreed. Obviously, his proposed policies stand a snowball's chance in hell, but I'll give him this: he may be the only honest politician in Washington. When he talks, I believe he means what he says. And that's pretty refreshing.

Also, Pete's pretty great, too!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 08:07:50 AM »
How about a thread where we give credit to someone on the "other side" of the political spectrum, in a position of power or influence, that we agree with.

I liked some of the stuff Dick Cheny's daughter has said lately.  Made me really think I might be able to compromise more with the "other side" if there were more folks like her. 

Obviously this will be a seldom trafficked thread.

I'd for sure vote for her

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1543581127759331328

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 09:16:17 AM »
Before I was a Bernie bro, a friend of my wife that worked for Jerry Moran said Bernie saw her waiting for the staff elevator and said “this is so stupid get on” to bring her on the senator elevator and then made small talk with her on the ride. Possibly the only human in the town that came anywhere near power and was mostly unscathed.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 12:59:45 PM »
Liz Cheney loves war, just like her dad.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 12:31:31 PM »
Liz Cheney loves war, just like her dad.

I wouldn't have guessed that this was something that you loved about her, but you are literate and can read this thread title, so here we are I suppose.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 04:44:24 PM »
I was wrong over the past decade or so when I dismissed the threat of conflict with other super powers….I thought we had moved passed that as a planet…that our economies were too interconnected and that corporate powers would help keep states in line by virtue of economic influence.  I wanted us to cut our military drastically.

I was wrong.

I believe that John McCain and other centrist republicans were right. We do need a very strong defense.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 05:17:38 PM »
Agree with Pete and other who think this.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 05:32:00 PM »
I agree, but we do need to balance that with other spending. Our infrastructure is bad. Our social safety net is bad.  Our health as a citizenry is bad.  We need some of that money at home. We can do that and still be the baddest kid on the block. Republicans want to talk about spending and then they cop the world. Military is the main spending issue and has been since Eisenhower. It has literally robbed our generation.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 05:36:56 PM »
The militarys main function is to secure global commerce.  As always you have to spend money to make money.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »
I was wrong over the past decade or so when I dismissed the threat of conflict with other super powers….I thought we had moved passed that as a planet…that our economies were too interconnected and that corporate powers would help keep states in line by virtue of economic influence.  I wanted us to cut our military drastically.

I was wrong.

I believe that John McCain and other centrist republicans were right. We do need a very strong defense.

yeah, same.  hope everyone enjoyed their peace dividend, but we now need to cancel it. 
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 06:49:58 PM »
I think there is room for a strong military with spending cut drastically

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 06:55:08 PM »
Military is the main spending issue and has been since Eisenhower. It has literally robbed our generation.

this isn't anywhere close to true, btw.  defense spending is about 10% of the federal budget, about 3% of gdp.  and of that defense spending, only about a fifth is spent on weapons.  well under 1% of gdp.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2022, 06:55:48 PM »

how?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2022, 07:23:51 PM »

how?

If we cut spending in half we'd still spend more than anyone in the world? If it can't be "strong" with that much money, something is wrong

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2022, 07:27:59 PM »
strong enough to prevent anyone from invading the united states, sure.  but much weaker than our current military.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2022, 07:43:36 PM »
strong enough to prevent anyone from invading the united states, sure.  but much weaker than our current military.
If preventing an invasion of the US is the objective you could cut way more than half.

What current military objectives couldn't be fulfilled if we cut the budget in half?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2022, 07:54:56 PM »
Military is the main spending issue and has been since Eisenhower. It has literally robbed our generation.

this isn't anywhere close to true, btw.  defense spending is about 10% of the federal budget, about 3% of gdp.  and of that defense spending, only about a fifth is spent on weapons.  well under 1% of gdp.

More than half of discretionary spending.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2022, 07:55:07 PM »
If preventing an invasion of the US is the objective you could cut way more than half.

What current military objectives couldn't be fulfilled if we cut the budget in half?

people that know way more about this stuff than i do think it would be pretty touch and go if we became involved in a war with china with the military as is, so i think it's fair to say that if we cut spending in half that we'd be in much worse shape on that front.

by the same token, we are running into hard limits on being able to send aid to ukraine without going below the levels of munitions (and in some cases weapons systems) we consider acceptable for our own use.  so, again, seems pretty clear that cutting everything in half would make those limitations even more severe.

honestly, cutting the budget in half isn't even close to a realistic debate.  you aren't doing that without violating treaty obligations, diplomatic promises, firing millions of people that signed up with the promise of a steady govt job, health care and pension, etc.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2022, 07:56:44 PM »
More than half of discretionary spending.

yeah, most spending isn't discretionary.  that's why when anyone is serious about budget reform they talk about entitlements.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2022, 08:07:54 PM »

Wasteful boondoggles, for one. That base in Afghanistan that was never used comes to mind. 64K I believe was the name of it

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2022, 08:30:51 PM »

how?

If we cut spending in half we'd still spend more than anyone in the world? If it can't be "strong" with that much money, something is wrong

I know math probably isn’t your thing but wouldn’t that be expected when human labor is a huge component of the spending and we have by far the largest economy in the world (and a very high gdp per capita)…