Author Topic: Celebrating 20 years of “High End over Ender’s”  (Read 2665 times)

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Celebrating 20 years of “High End over Ender’s”
« on: June 13, 2022, 12:51:28 PM »
Remember when everybody thought Greg Sharp was better than Wyatt “golden tonsils” Thompson? lof’nl, good times.

https://twitter.com/DScottFritchen/status/1536394797870731271?s=20&t=RZo_32OiHvCdml_wYgEnGQ

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Celebrating 20 years of “High End over Ender’s”
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 01:05:15 PM »

Serious question, does anyone else get chills when you read the first couple paragraphs of our generations Edgar Allan Poe’s prose? It’s like if I close my eyes, I can almost imagine that I am sitting in Wyatt Thompson’s office.

Sidebar: am I the only one that used to go by the magazine section of the grocery store every time I was in there looking for the arrival of Lindys or Athlon‘s? Anyone else remember the big eight sky writers tour? I actually subscribed at various times to the Manhattan Mercury, the Topeka capital journal & the collegian after I got out of college just so I could get my fix of the K State sports. And then Tim Fitzgerald performed miracles along with stealing the subscriber database and created “wildcat insider” and then gopowercat.

A different type of construction takes place inside Thompson's office. The Voice of the Wildcats sits behind his L-shaped desk. A Lindy's Football Preview magazine and a stack of papers line the right edge, a printer occupies the left side. The middle of the desk features two large computer monitors and a Keurig machine. It's June, and Thompson is already constructing information charts on all the Wildcats' opponents for the 2022 football season. He's been working on the 2022 season for a while, actually. Each day, he gathers nuggets here and there and begins the process of piecing everything together — a process that he'll repeat for each team countless times before September 3.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 02:14:18 PM »
i still think greg sharp > wyatt

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 02:40:43 PM »

Everybody has their preferences I guess. I’ll listen to Greg Sharpe call a Nebraska game and his voice just grates on me.
Another walk down memory lane. Is there anyone that remembers the early big 12 message boards at Austin 360? I remember Dax was there under his original alias NCCat, which was before he changed his name 3 or 4 time to escape his checkered past. Just kidding, Dax, love your work.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 03:58:01 PM »
d scott is a pretty nice guy who has been through a lot and seems to have conquered his demons. he also has dedicated his life to k-state and shining the best light on the university you support.  everyone understands that you don’t like his writing but i don’t think anyone cares either.  so please consider that the next time you decide to post another one of your drags at him.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 04:10:21 PM »
Thank you, piss clams, if that is your real name, as D Scott’s biggest cheerleader, it’s nice to have another poster on the bandwagon.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 04:25:02 PM »
it’s absolutely my real name and anyone who doesn’t believe me will be summarily dealt with

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 04:32:29 PM »
That is some great stuff, HugeCat.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 04:53:12 PM »
20 years... I imagine Smoller is having second thoughts about not poisoning one of Wyatt's cigarettes 10-15 years ago...

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 05:18:56 PM »
20 years... I imagine Smoller is having second thoughts about not poisoning one of Wyatt's cigarettes 10-15 years ago...
Honestly, Smoller probably looked at how old Wyatt Thompson was, the fact that he is a chain smoker, probably drinks vodka rocks nightly and eats hotdogs for dinner and thought, “How much longer can this crusty old fart live? and figured he could probably wait him out.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 07:59:58 PM »
The thing that bothered me about Smoller back in the kstatehd.tv days was when he said Kansas state it sounded like he was saying candy state. Clearly wasn’t ready for prime time. But now he says it right. He’s ready for his shot at the crown

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 08:13:27 PM »

Everybody has their preferences I guess. I’ll listen to Greg Sharpe call a Nebraska game and his voice just grates on me.
Another walk down memory lane. Is there anyone that remembers the early big 12 message boards at Austin 360? I remember Dax was there under his original alias NCCat, which was before he changed his name 3 or 4 time to escape his checkered past. Just kidding, Dax, love your work.
I own it all. 

And yes I remember the sky writers tour and all that stuff.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 08:16:56 PM »
My only real problem with D. Scott is that he fell deep and hard into the abyss of being too close and laying blame for losses exclusively on the student athletes.     

It got old watching him toss the players under the bus.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2022, 08:45:44 PM »
Honestly, Smoller probably looked at how old Wyatt Thompson was, the fact that he is a chain smoker, probably drinks vodka rocks nightly and eats hotdogs for dinner and thought, “How much longer can this crusty old fart live? and figured he could probably wait him out.

What's wild is that he's not even that old, bruh just aged poorly because of the lung darts. I like Wyatt, a lot.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2022, 09:20:42 PM »
How old is Wyatt? I had him pegged at late 50s early 60s. I like Wyatt as well

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2022, 09:29:54 PM »
How old is Wyatt? I had him pegged at late 50s early 60s. I like Wyatt as well

If he got his start at FHSU in 1985, that would mean he's probably at least 60 if you assume he was 25ish when he got that gig. If I recall correctly, he didn't finish college (he may have gone somewhere for a while, but I don't believe he has a degree).

I don't mind Wyatt and he seems like a nice fellow, but imho, Smoller (and Brent Stover) are alums who are better broadcasters and either could have been selected 20 years ago (would have been similar to when K-State went young with Holthus and Sharpe). Stover's now on CBS national (though he mostly is on CBS College Sports).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2022, 09:53:10 PM »
Brent Stover is perfect in the studio, I think he would be wasted calling K-State games.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2022, 10:00:00 PM »
I thought Greg Sharpe was an employee of like clearchannel and when it came time for kstate to renew their contract with clearchannel they were like uhhh nah we’re gonna go with learfield. Didn’t think it had anything to do with GS personally

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 10:03:54 PM »
Brent Stover is perfect in the studio, I think he would be wasted calling K-State games.

That's fair and he's very good at that (frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't been elevated). But, selfishly, I'd rather have him calling KSU games.

Online Dr. Fausto Rindón

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2022, 11:52:45 PM »
I thought Greg Sharpe was an employee of like clearchannel and when it came time for kstate to renew their contract with clearchannel they were like uhhh nah we’re gonna go with learfield. Didn’t think it had anything to do with GS personally
That’s what I thought happened  too.  Did Steckline play a part?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2022, 07:17:46 AM »
iirc his wife also worked at WIBW and that played a role as well

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2022, 07:50:48 AM »
Greg sharpe was head of something at 580 and kstate had the rights to airtime in 580 during a certain amount of time each day or something. They negotiated out of it with kstate getting money and 589 getting their airtime back. I think it kind of out Greg and his job at 580 against kstate.

My favorite Wyatt moment was in his first or second year at cats university listening to him on the radio where he called what I believed to probably be a jailbreak screen a “receiver over the middle play”. Hanging out with Stan for 20 years has definitely improved his ability to call a fball game. Basketball has always been serviceable but sheesh he was really bad on the fball side initially. He also got the job becasue of his history with Tim Weiser.

Online 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2022, 08:01:40 AM »
Wyatt was never going to live up to Holthus/Sharpe for me but 20 years really makes you kind of move on, huh

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2022, 08:35:12 AM »
Sharpe is lightyears better than Wyatt imo.  Wyatt has grown on me, hard to believe he's the soundtrack to the 2003 big XII championship/roberson/sproles era.  Smoller's voice/face i can't get on board with as a Wyatt replacement.

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2022, 08:52:39 AM »
I got this one, Mr. Clams.

Wyatt is a pretty nice guy who has been through a lot and seems to have conquered his demons. he also has dedicated his life to k-state and shining the best light on the university you support.  everyone understands that you don’t like his play by play but i don’t think anyone cares either.  so please consider that the next time you decide to post another one of your drags at him.