Author Topic: The changing world order; how will we adjust to not being the top dog?  (Read 737 times)

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
I watched a pretty interesting video last night on Youtube about the ebbs and flows of the world order. It highlighted some things as far back as ancient rome, but mostly focused on european empires beginning with the dutch. All off the world No. 1s were eventually unseated, usually after a war, but sometimes peacefully, and almost all of them were experiencing basically the same situation the US is experiencing now: debt bubbles & big wealth gaps, debt busts and big downturns (we're bandaging these), printing lots of money and credit, revolutions, wars, debt and political upheaval/restructuring.

This always occurs while an emerging power is rising to the top. It doesn't seem like there is any slowing down China, and our fall seems on the horizon. Just going back thru the 1400s or so, the Dutch, French, Brits, etc. all experienced the same thing and learned to cope and survive in their role of reduced power. Can we do the same thing? Will we be willing?

The whole thing was put together by some billionaire investor and macroeconomics dude named Ray Dalio. He's using the video to push a book of the same name.

The video is below:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:18:39 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Nice quick edit before I could make a CHONGS reference.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Nice quick edit before I could make a CHONGS reference.

Almost left it in just for that.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
How does he get those numbers for the y axis? Seems very dubious to be.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
How does he get those numbers for the y axis? Seems very dubious to be.

I think he explains it a bit in the video, but mostly wants you to  :lol: buy his book to really get the nitty gritty.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So who is he and his fund(s) betting against?   He's still chairman and co chief investment officer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Dalio's a bigtime quant bro

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Let’s just say he is past his prime
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i'm reasonably confident we'll continue to be top dog for the rest of my lifetime, so this seems like a question i can safely leave for the next generation to wrestle with.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Has the top dog ever been a country that nobody in their right mind would want to live in?