Author Topic: Possible WW3 thread  (Read 229752 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Possible WW3 thread
« Reply #1525 on: March 09, 2022, 08:47:52 AM »
if you're talking about military tactics that may or may not be obsolete, which it sounded like michigancat was (ground army), i think it's an important distinction.

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 09, 2022, 08:51:15 AM »
I mean I was also thinking of when does old school invading countries with ground armies stop? When was the last time it worked effectively? The US has provided more than enough examples of it not working and we don't even try to invade white countries that garner the sympathy of the entire world.

the invading part has generally worked very well for american armies.  it's the occupying part that hasn't worked.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 09, 2022, 08:51:23 AM »
if you're talking about military tactics that may or may not be obsolete, which it sounded like michigancat was (ground army), i think it's an important distinction.
It's a fair distinction that is what I was really getting at. Like even if they took Kyiv and killed Zelenskyy, then what???

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 09, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »

well that is just rude, I try things they just don't always work out because my supply lines run short.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 09, 2022, 08:55:02 AM »
It's a fair distinction that is what I was really getting at. Like even if they took Kyiv and killed Zelenskyy, then what???

I think if they did that the idea would be to install some sort of pro-Russian leader and then gradually draw back forces. Now obviously I think the likelihood of that working now is much lower as Ukraine and the West have rallied around opposing this invasion much more than Putin anticipated.  However, if the new leader was able to restore basic functions of the state and Russia pulled back I think a lot of Ukrainians would take that devil's bargain at least temporarily to end an open conflict.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: March 09, 2022, 08:55:27 AM »
There are pills you can take for reinforcements KK

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 09, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »
I mean I was also thinking of when does old school invading countries with ground armies stop? When was the last time it worked effectively? The US has provided more than enough examples of it not working and we don't even try to invade white countries that garner the sympathy of the entire world.

the invading part has generally worked very well for american armies.  it's the occupying part that hasn't worked.

lol

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 09, 2022, 09:05:52 AM »
Unusually large number of high-ranking officers getting themselves killed:

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1501535010909605893?s=20&t=_cLCo6H2n9OSgE9yidrTHQ

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 09, 2022, 09:09:17 AM »
i can’t imagine being one of these tank dudes getting sent off to get melted in a giant coffin

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 09, 2022, 09:18:39 AM »
a bunch of fig eaters trying to find reverse in a soviet tank

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 09, 2022, 09:22:34 AM »

this was as refreshing as a junior mint

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 09, 2022, 09:26:31 AM »

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1501535010909605893?s=20&t=_cLCo6H2n9OSgE9yidrTHQ

I've seen talk that this is because they are needing to be closer to the front lines to try to stop the army from sucking so much.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 09, 2022, 09:41:28 AM »

I have been methodically going through every episode of Seinfeld (currently around episode 20 in season 4) since it's on Netflix, when this whole thing started the episode where Newman and Kramer has been on my mind
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 09, 2022, 10:06:39 AM »

I have been methodically going through every episode of Seinfeld (currently around episode 20 in season 4) since it's on Netflix, when this whole thing started the episode where Newman and Kramer has been on my mind
Where they play Risk?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 09, 2022, 10:33:50 AM »
Wars going to be so easy for kids that grow up playing video games.
"here the controller kid, go knock off some comrades"

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 09, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »

Where they play Risk?

lol yeah, thought I typed "Risk" and missed that.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 09, 2022, 11:20:52 AM »
I can’t believe there are people in this thread comparing this situation to the Middle East

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: March 09, 2022, 11:40:17 AM »

I've seen talk that this is because they are needing to be closer to the front lines to try to stop the army from sucking so much.

It's because we have hundreds/a thousand contractors reading their texts and listening to their radios and phone calls in real time and feeding live intelligence to Ukranians.

The Ukranians can set up snipers/ambush's.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: March 09, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »
Jonah Goldberg interviews Kori Schake about Russia/Ukraine. Very good interview worth your time to listen if you are at all interested in this topic.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/unfriendly-skies/id1291144720?i=1000553415789

- what Biden admin has done right / wrong so far (it was a dumb idea to tell/promise the Russians we would never be willing to send troops into Ukraine)
- Jonah asks questions about if this is Nato's fault
- Are other Nato members paying their fair share? this was something that even bugged Eisenhower but US has defaulted to a position of "much cheaper to pay 'more than our fair share' to maintain stability in Europe than pay to sort out full-scale world wars
- Ukraine will eventually rebuild, join Nato and become more prosperous in the aftermath of this
- Chances of Putin using a "battlefield nuke" as he leaves the country is not zero
- US intelligence seems to know what is going on at very high levels in Russia
-best way to deter China is to show resolve against Russia
-due to the nature of its economy, China would have a harder time insulating itself from sanctions than Russia...

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: March 09, 2022, 12:31:38 PM »
6 million refugees from Syria, 2 million refugees in 2 weeks from Ukraine, bombing apartments, schools and hospitals. This is Putin's idea of what makes his nation/regime look strong and respected? What a vile sack of dogshit. Doing his best to be counted as one of the most detestable humans of all time.

https://twitter.com/lukeharding1968/status/1501556301461172232

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 09, 2022, 12:34:05 PM »
The refugees in Syria started long before the Russians showed up there.

Libya as well.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 09, 2022, 02:59:29 PM »
NATO did that

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 09, 2022, 03:01:36 PM »
Putin regime is truly Orwellian:
“There will be no curiosity, no enjoyment of the process of life. All competing pleasures will be destroyed. But always— do not forget this, Winston— always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face— forever.

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1501617934891896836