Author Topic: Targeting question?  (Read 1372 times)

Offline KSNimrod

• Fan
    • View Profile
Targeting question?
« on: January 18, 2022, 10:48:27 AM »
I was watching the Rams/Cardinals game last night and when Budda Baker got knocked out by Cam Akers it made me wonder about targeting calls.  I've seen running backs lower their head and absolutely smoke defenders before but I couldn't recall ever seeing a penalty called.  Is the targeting rule only worded towards the defensive players?  Anybody ever seen a flag thrown on an offensive player for it? 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Targeting question?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 10:54:44 AM »
Not targeting, but immediately thought of this. (was an unnecessary roughness penalty on the offense (or I guess special teams))

Offline outofstate

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 11:02:46 AM »
Can't say I have ever seen a targeting call against an offensive player. I think the rule does not define the player as offense or defense.

NCAA rulebook:
-Launch — a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
-A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
-Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
-Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

By interpretation a player on offense can be called for any of the above, but you rarely if ever see it. They need to strongly look at this during the off season because there have been defenders called when the running back, for example, lowers his head and shoulders to run through a tackler.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 11:08:09 AM »
Have definitely seen it called on people blocking

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 11:25:20 AM »
I’m pretty positive back when Kareem Hunt was on the Chiefs he had one called on him for lowering his helmet. Don’t know if they called it targeting or not, but I’m about 98% certain this happened.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 12:51:52 PM »
i've seen it called where the defender was on a trajectory to make a completely legal tackle and then at the last second the ball carrier lowers their helmet resulting in a helmet to helmet. I think in those cases they need to give the defender a break. He was trying to make a legal hit and the only thing he could have done was adjust his trajectory in about 0.2 seconds to maybe avoid the helmet to helmet.

I realize they have pretty prescriptive rules on this but I think they need to also consider intent, especially since the result of the play could result in ejection. If the defender was doing everything to make a good tackle and then the ball carrier makes a last second change in direction/trajectory that results in a targeting calll...i dunno, i mean, what is a defender supposed to do other than only make arm tackles?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 12:56:12 PM »
i've seen it called where the defender was on a trajectory to make a completely legal tackle and then at the last second the ball carrier lowers their helmet resulting in a helmet to helmet. I think in those cases they need to give the defender a break. He was trying to make a legal hit and the only thing he could have done was adjust his trajectory in about 0.2 seconds to maybe avoid the helmet to helmet.

I realize they have pretty prescriptive rules on this but I think they need to also consider intent, especially since the result of the play could result in ejection. If the defender was doing everything to make a good tackle and then the ball carrier makes a last second change in direction/trajectory that results in a targeting calll...i dunno, i mean, what is a defender supposed to do other than only make arm tackles?

Who doesn't love a little randomness in sports though? Like end-game timekeeping in soccer....

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 01:06:14 PM »
I'm just racking up billable hours in your head.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 08:35:49 AM »
hold on checking AFCON thread...

Offline KSNimrod

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 12:00:15 PM »

I'm usually pretty sympathetic to the defensive players too.  That's what prompted my post.  I felt like the running back lowered HIS head and smashed the defender in the helmet - knocking him out.  Made me curious if/why that shouldn't be treated in a similar fashion.