Author Topic: bill's book  (Read 4310 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: bill's book
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 05:59:14 PM »
Sounds exactly like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 11:56:49 PM »
Sounds exactly like this

no, no, no. this book is much better. it's no comparison.

also, i should have noted earlier, the cancer chapter is actually quite good. it's about as close to the real bill as you will get and did contain some personal details that were (to my knowledge) not disclosed previously.

this part was the best:

"i called president myers a few days after my surgery and told him i had throat cancer. the athletic director pushed for me to step down. i discovered that he already had an individual in place to become the next head coach. i asked president myers to inform the athletic director that i intended to return for the 2017 season."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2021, 12:00:12 AM »
more on "the athletic director."

"media speculation and rumors shifted toward the future of our program. one theory suggested that i was going to corner kansas state into hiring sean as head coach. those theorists were unaware that a few years prior the athletic director eliminated the language in my contract that enabled me to name my successor. i felt that even if i was to step down just one week before the start of the season, the athletic director would find his own guy."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2021, 12:03:12 AM »
more on "the athletic director"

"amid the cancer treatments, the fatigue, spring football, and the persistent rumors regarding my future, i encountered another situation. I learned that for an undetermined period of time the athletic director had been calling our players and some of our assistant coaches into his office. he apparently had been asking them to critique our program and my job as head coach. i took issue with the manner by which the conversations were facilitated. it was the veil of secrecy that surrounded these conversations with members of our program that most angered me."

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 12:11:23 AM »
:lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2021, 12:20:06 AM »
So he never refers to Gene by name?

I watched the both of them during the ceremonies for Darren earlier this summer. I did find it weird that Gene inserted himself in those ceremonies given he wasn't involved with K-State at all when Darren was here. Anyway Bill and Gene were in very close proximity on the field but never interacted.

We know that Bill is around at least a bit still, I can't imagine he shared his saltines with Gene so this is probably the first time Gene is being exposed to a glimmer of how much Bill hates him.

Also this should 100% put to bed any notion that Gene won't cut oscar's throat at the end of this season. Just a month on the job, bro tried to push out a legend who was in chemo.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2021, 12:31:55 AM »

I watched the both of them during the ceremonies for Darren earlier this summer. I did find it weird that Gene inserted himself in those ceremonies given he wasn't involved with K-State at all when Darren was here. Anyway Bill and Gene were in very close proximity on the field but never interacted.

We know that Bill is around at least a bit still, I can't imagine he shared his saltines with Gene so this is probably the first time Gene is being exposed to a glimmer of how much Bill hates him.

Also this should 100% put to bed any notion that Gene won't cut oscar's throat at the end of this season. Just a month on the job, bro tried to push out a legend who was in chemo.

the "athletic director" that he's referring to is currie, not gene.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2021, 12:56:26 AM »
bill essentially confirmed that mike cox betrayed him, as cox was the only member of his '16 coaching staff to not be retained the next year:

"it became evident that we had more loyalty issues within our coaching staff than i could remember. over the years, people suggested that my loyalty toward our assistant coaches was one of my flaws because i had never fired an assistant coach. for the first time in my career, i had no choice but to release a member of our coaching staff following the 2016 season."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2021, 02:27:22 AM »

the "athletic director" that he's referring to is currie, not gene.

That time frame matches up with Gene. John Currie left in February of 2017. Spring football didn't start in February and iirc he had his cancer treatments in the spring and summer of 2017. Gene was named Athletic Director in April 2017, right in the midst of spring football and Bill's cancer treatments. Also iirc, Bill announced he was coming back for the 2017 season in June of that year. Currie had been gone for 4 months. Gene meeting with players as he came on would also match up with the timeline. The coach he had waiting was Klieman. Currie didn't have a guy like Gene did/does.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2021, 02:34:07 AM »
more on "the athletic director"

"amid the cancer treatments, the fatigue, spring football, and the persistent rumors regarding my future, i encountered another situation. I learned that for an undetermined period of time the athletic director had been calling our players and some of our assistant coaches into his office. he apparently had been asking them to critique our program and my job as head coach. i took issue with the manner by which the conversations were facilitated. it was the veil of secrecy that surrounded these conversations with members of our program that most angered me."

So I just looked up this time frame and Snyder did have his cancer treatments in February and March, and Currie left in February, so I guess maybe I'm being to literal about his use of spring football which according to a Dennis Dodd article at the time started on April 5th in 2017.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2021, 06:25:51 AM »
a few years prior the athletic director eliminated the language in my contract that enabled me to name my successor. i felt that even if i was to step down just one week before the start of the season, the athletic director would find his own guy."

Good job by Currie.

he already had an individual in place to become the next head coach.

It would ne amazing to know who this was.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2021, 06:58:02 AM »
Yea would like to know who was curries guy.  I would have liked to see Currie make the football hire, I don’t think he would have been as conservative as he was with his basketball hire.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2021, 08:05:18 AM »
Yea would like to know who was curries guy.  I would have liked to see Currie make the football hire, I don’t think he would have been as conservative as he was with his basketball hire.

pretty sure it was leavitt. he was the guy that could perfectly thread the needle of being anyone but LHC Bill Snyder, yet someone snyder would approve of (despite sean being his preferred option), and wouldn't be overly criticized by fans or media (leavitt had done an awesome job as colorado's DC the year prior and of course was well known by k-state fans from previous stop.)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »
i think Currie had someone else as i don't see Leavitt taking the job if Bill was forced out

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2021, 09:30:19 AM »
hiring oscar was not conservative

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2021, 10:12:24 AM »
i think Currie had someone else as i don't see Leavitt taking the job if Bill was forced out

i'm speculating, but don't think it would be presented that way. more of an, "if bill is receptive to stepping aside, then..." sort of thing.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »
I wouldn't be terribly shocked if Schiano was going to be his guy here as well.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2021, 10:29:14 AM »

I think Schiano was a mega rich Tennessee booster's guy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2021, 10:58:57 AM »
hiring oscar was not conservative

Yes it was. Despite him being fired at Illinois, he was the SLTH that most athletic directors love from a basketball coach.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2021, 10:59:54 AM »

I think Schiano was a mega rich Tennessee booster's guy.

Schiano and Currie had no professional connections before Tennessee.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2021, 12:30:16 PM »
It was for sure/almost definitely Leavitt

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2021, 03:34:47 PM »
I would've thought Currie would avoid the Snyder tree

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2021, 07:05:15 PM »

Or dudes previously fired for abuse.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2021, 09:28:07 PM »

Or dudes previously fired for abuse.

This sounds like Currie

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2021, 06:37:50 AM »
Idk but there’s a reason that JL was so horned up to get the job in 18. He got fired from Oregon because he was recruiting a staff.

He thought the job was his

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk