Author Topic: bill's book  (Read 4318 times)

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
bill's book
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:27:15 PM »
the word "significant" appears 74 times.

in chapter 8, it appears eight times in six pages.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: bill's book
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 03:27:44 PM »
What about the phrase “decided schematic advantage”
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 03:27:59 PM »

big news if true

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »
the word Prince appears seven times; six for Ron, one for the Prince of Saudi Arabia.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 03:32:47 PM »
chapter 17, "Stepping Down."

"...I had a big smile on my face. I had never been one to allow that sort of thing to happen..."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 03:33:32 PM »
the word Prince appears seven times; six for Ron, one for the Prince of Saudi Arabia.

:lol:

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 03:34:00 PM »

significant big news if true

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 03:38:12 PM »
saddest part of the book, from bill's childhood:

"i witnessed a scene by happenstance that crushed my longstanding belief that professional wrestling was real. while walking by the locker room, i stole a glance at four wrestlers, who were laughing with one another over beer and cigarettes moments before they were supposed to step into the ring and fight each other. i never saw pro wrestling the same way ever again."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 03:41:29 PM »
“incredibly readable”

Always a good quality for a book, similar to it being important that a sandwich be eatable.

https://themercury.com/features/review-my-football-life-a-look-at-k-state-footballs-growth-through-snyders-eyes/article_2f4093c1-113f-5067-82bf-8557954cd088.html

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 03:47:45 PM »
"i can't say that the decision to end the equestrian program didn't strain our relationship, but john did what he believed was in the best interest of the athletic department. the decision just made no sense to me."

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 03:48:49 PM »
eff it I’m reading this thing

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 03:50:22 PM »
"i can't say that the decision to end the equestrian program didn't strain our relationship, but john did what he believed was in the best interest of the athletic department. the decision just made no sense to me."
:lol:

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 03:50:53 PM »
"after jon and i spoke with ron, he left the hotel room. jon and tim wanted to offer ron the head coaching job when they brought him back into the room. i still held out for someone else. "would you allow me to make one last phone call for someone you could interview?" i called jim (leavitt), who told me that he couldn't pursue the kansas state job. (...) jon and tim called ron back into the hotel room, and they offered him the position."

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »
 :cry:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 03:52:57 PM »
chapter 17, "Stepping Down."

"...I had a big smile on my face. I had never been one to allow that sort of thing to happen..."

I've never been wont to question if an editor missed something but

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 03:57:04 PM »
"i run through hundreds of purple pens every year writing notes. my print appears diagonally on my notes and letters because i'm left-handed and i find it easier to write across my body. i probably began this writing style in elementary school. we sat in those wood desks with the arm that flapped over, and there were only right-handed desks, so i had to reach across the desk in order to write."

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »
I’ll be honest with you guys, I love LHC Bill Snyder and I don’t care who knows it.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 04:18:11 PM »

"i witnessed a scene by happenstance that crushed my longstanding belief that professional wrestling was real. while walking by the locker room, i stole a glance at four wrestlers, who were laughing with one another over beer and cigarettes moments before they were supposed to step into the ring and fight each other. i never saw pro wrestling the same way ever again."
No child deserves this.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 04:19:31 PM »
man I may want to read both books now

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 04:19:42 PM »
Really hope this made it in, particularly since it involves Fritch. And, yes, I'm an idiot when it comes to embedding this stuff.

https://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=39567.msg2057972#msg2057972

Quote from: Kid In the Hall on September 30, 2020, 10:15:38 PM
Repost in honor of Fritch - few love K-State more...

As most people know, the weekly Bill press conferences are pretty much a waste of everyone's time because Bill never actually answers any questions with any amount of substance. So, what typically happens, is most "reporters" don't even bother to ask questions and it's usually the same 3-4 people that ask most of the questions. As we can all probably guess, one of those people is Fritchen.

I can't remember for certain, but I think it was back in 99 during the press conference before K-State played at Nebraska. As Fritchen is prone to doing, he asked this incredibly long-winded question that took about an hour for him to spit out. It was basically something like "Bill, can you talk about what it's like being in a stadium like Nebraska's with 80,000 fans, a historic stadium, they're all yelling before the game, you're underneath the stadium and you can hear them yelling and you're trying to get your players ready for the game (it goes on and on and on and then ends with) can you tell us what you're actually doing right before you take the field?"

Bill pauses for about 10 seconds (probably mocking the fact that Fritch took five minutes to ask a question) and then Bill says, "What's that game that the youngsters like? Chutes and Ladders? Is that what it's called? That's what we do."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 04:22:15 PM »
most k-state fans will like this book. it is perfectly fine. but for me, it was just...meh. too shallow and unrevealing. the stuff i cared to read about most - specifics of how the '98 loss crushed his soul, his perception of prince, the feeling of watching his program crumble to the ground 2006-08, his feuds with currie, the '12 baylor loss, etc - were all either unaddressed or quickly glossed over. we don't really learn anything new about him outside of a few anecdotes. i wanted to love it. but i just didn't. :frown:

it is 10x better than the prior book though!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 04:34:41 PM »

incredible  :lol:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 05:00:41 PM »
I too was crushed to discover the realities of professional wrestling.  It's like we're the same person, except for the Pinocchio stuff.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 05:10:41 PM »

Bill would've been an incredible #HEEL manager.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 05:23:19 PM »
most k-state fans will like this book. it is perfectly fine. but for me, it was just...meh. too shallow and unrevealing. the stuff i cared to read about most - specifics of how the '98 loss crushed his soul, his perception of prince, the feeling of watching his program crumble to the ground 2006-08, his feuds with currie, the '12 baylor loss, etc - were all either unaddressed or quickly glossed over. we don't really learn anything new about him outside of a few anecdotes. i wanted to love it. but i just didn't. :frown:

it is 10x better than the prior book though!
That is sad, but I will still buy and read because I hope for good things to happen to Bill and brother D.