Author Topic: Apartments in the KCK metro  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
Apartments in the KCK metro
« on: August 16, 2021, 03:25:11 PM »
Hey there everybody! My wife and I are moving to the KC area from Arlington, Virginia, at the beginning of November and have not yet figured out where we are going to live. Most apartment complexes out that way don't know availability until 60 days out so we have a couple of weeks yet before we will have to make a commitment. I know a good portion of this board has either previously lived or currently live in that region and I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Our preferred criteria:
- Within 45 minutes of Baldwin City (we have family there we want to be able to visit easily)
- Around $1000 per month is the goal - we currently pay much more than that and are hoping to save up for a down payment on a future home
- Two-bedroom preferably
- Near the 35 corridor
- Flexible leases - hoping to possibly sign a shorter lease in order to find a home and be done with apartment living

I look forward to hearing your suggestions! Thanks and #GoCats!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Apartments in the KCK metro
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »
I hear there's some badass apartments in Olathe

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 03:51:38 PM »
:lol:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 04:39:38 PM »
For those criteria you are 100% looking olathe, not even joking

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 04:52:10 PM »
Hey there everybody! My wife and I are moving to the KC area from Arlington, Virginia, at the beginning of November and have not yet figured out where we are going to live. Most apartment complexes out that way don't know availability until 60 days out so we have a couple of weeks yet before we will have to make a commitment. I know a good portion of this board has either previously lived or currently live in that region and I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Our preferred criteria:
- Within 45 minutes of Baldwin City (we have family there we want to be able to visit easily)
- Around $1000 per month is the goal - we currently pay much more than that and are hoping to save up for a down payment on a future home
- Two-bedroom preferably
- Near the 35 corridor
- Flexible leases - hoping to possibly sign a shorter lease in order to find a home and be done with apartment living

I look forward to hearing your suggestions! Thanks and #GoCats!

Welcome to Gardner,KS friend.   We are getting a Freddy’s and Culver’s soon, you will love it here.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 04:58:25 PM »
I've never seen it called the kck metro before but in this case I think it's actually more accurate

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 05:15:02 PM »
can't even imagine what kind of 2 br you would get for $1,000/month.  my guess is a shithole, but like previous posters have alluded, i'm guessing you might as well just look in baldwin city at that price.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »
can't even imagine what kind of 2 br you would get for $1,000/month.  my guess is a shithole, but like previous posters have alluded, i'm guessing you might as well just look in baldwin city at that price.

He did say KCK.  KCK will have plenty of stuff for $1k. 

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 07:08:37 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. We found one in Shawnee and one near the AMC in Olathe that fit what we were looking for - but I was worried we might be missing out by just googling or using apartments.com. We don't need anything flashy. Just hoping for something that will feel safe and be pest-free. Amenities aren't all that important either. I said "KCK metro" because we aren't currently looking in Missouri at this time. Thinking we will buy a home on the KS side and don't feel like moving to different states twice.

I've never lived in that area. The only permanent addresses I have had in KS were in Hutchinson and Manhattan. Excited to be in the area but looking at the map of the region and the names of the cities don't really jump out as meaning anything specific to me.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »

He did say KCK.  KCK will have plenty of stuff for $1k.
Yeah for $1000 a month for a 2 br it’s gonna be a shithole unless you go way outside the main metro, or Olathe. I pay $1300 a month for my 2 br in OP.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2021, 08:21:41 PM »
In all seriousness I'd just move in with the family in Baldwin City, especially if it's less than a year

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 08:31:35 PM »
In all seriousness I'd just move in with the family in Baldwin City, especially if it's less than a year

Just put in a brand new Casey’s, I think you are onto something here.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 09:41:48 AM »
i think the 87th & 435 area in Lenexa has replaced Otown as the epicenter of Joco apartment badassery - not sure $1k will get you a 2br at the new places like the link below as I remember paying more than that for 2 br in South OP 20 years ago but there are plenty of older complexes close by that area.
https://www.domaincitycenter.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASrs7hI3jmzFjaNfq3BvMreJOuUOyKJWZjdW5e4U5nswIARKVAX7sYYaAsgQEALw_wcB

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 09:52:03 AM »
i think the 87th & 435 area in Lenexa has replaced Otown as the epicenter of Joco apartment badassery - not sure $1k will get you a 2br at the new places like the link below as I remember paying more than that for 2 br in South OP 20 years ago but there are plenty of older complexes close by that area.
https://www.domaincitycenter.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvO2IBhCzARIsALw3ASrs7hI3jmzFjaNfq3BvMreJOuUOyKJWZjdW5e4U5nswIARKVAX7sYYaAsgQEALw_wcB
Derek Young lives there so you could hobnob with him if that sweetens the pot.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 10:00:36 AM »
that area of lenexa, a 2 br is gonna be 1,500 to 1,600 at the bottom end

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2021, 03:11:30 PM »
We currently pay 2100 for an 800 sqft 1 bedroom. Looks like we might have to go over 1000 a bit but that is doable just means less money being put away for a future down payment.

In all seriousness, I'd just move in with the family in Baldwin City, especially if it's less than a year

Just put in a brand new Casey’s, I think you are onto something here.

As tempting as that is - we were hoping to live in the area we would be house-hunting to get a feel for it. Also didn't want to be too far from the city.

I appreciate this suggestion - we will look into that area and see what comes up.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2021, 05:11:23 PM »
Here is the thing, house prices are going to inflate in the next 12 months faster than your down payment fund likely will.  A 300k house right now is likely going to be 330k next November in the area you want to live in.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2021, 05:26:50 PM »
Here is the thing, house prices are going to inflate in the next 12 months faster than your down payment fund likely will.  A 300k house right now is likely going to be 330k next November in the area you want to live in.
Can someone looking for a $1k/month apartment afford a $300k house?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2021, 05:30:08 PM »
Can someone looking for a $1k/month apartment afford a $300k house?

i'm sure they can, they only want to pay $1k so they can save more, just don't think it's realistic unless they want to live in a really dated place in gardner.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »
Grabbing a cheap apartment is a good idea when you can spend they next year getting to know which areas you can afford and want to live in. Don't worry about the market.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2021, 09:01:09 PM »
I did the apartment thing while having a house built and it was miserable. I’m pretty sure the upstairs neighbors had a bowling alley in their apartment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2021, 09:37:23 PM »
Grabbing a cheap apartment is a good idea when you can spend they next year getting to know which areas you can afford and want to live in. Don't worry about the market.

This is honestly our approach at the moment. We just haven't spent enough time in the area to know where we'd want to commit the next 5-10 years living.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2021, 10:07:36 PM »
Based solely on posting style alone I think Olathe is your best bet.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2021, 10:10:13 PM »
https://www.sixty16.com/floor-plans/#chart

Shawnee has several new apartment projects.

Shawnee Mission Parkway and I 35.  41 minutes to Baldwin, straight shot to Plaza.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2021, 06:32:17 AM »
https://www.sixty16.com/floor-plans/#chart

Shawnee has several new apartment projects.

Shawnee Mission Parkway and I 35.  41 minutes to Baldwin, straight shot to Plaza.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Just a short drive
:adios: