Author Topic: Not sure where to put this  (Read 938 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Not sure where to put this
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:40:44 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure where to put this
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
It is because declining enrollments is bleeding them and housing and dining took a huge financial hit. So from dollars and cents it makes sense for the university, I think it is probably mostly a good thing but it is definitely expensive and for those that would live at home I think it is very unfair.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 11:18:26 AM »
initial reaction is that it sucks and seems unfair, going to hurt a lot of rental property owners, etc

but i don't think it's an unusual rule for a university to have.

do fraternities count as on-campus?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 11:20:27 AM »
It is because declining enrollments is bleeding them and housing and dining took a huge financial hit. So from dollars and cents it makes sense for the university, I think it is probably mostly a good thing but it is definitely expensive and for those that would live at home I think it is very unfair.

I get it too, but I also have issues with any college "taking a financial hit" these days. Tuition is still ridiculous and only climbing, so maybe they can figure something else out?

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »

It makes sense from a dollars and cents perspective as long as there aren't too many students incentivized to go somewhere that does not require them to live on campus (KU).

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 11:42:47 AM »
damn, is it time to start thinking of college for y-l_a jr? signs of getting old

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 11:43:54 AM »

Students may apply for an exemption to the policy. Following a review, exemptions may be granted if a student plans to commute from the home of a parent/guardian or close relative who lives within 40 miles of the Manhattan campus

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 11:49:16 AM »
I think it's pretty normal for lots of schools.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 12:15:39 PM »
initial reaction is that it sucks and seems unfair, going to hurt a lot of rental property owners, etc

but i don't think it's an unusual rule for a university to have.

do fraternities count as on-campus?
Article says fraternities are among the approved exemptions for the rule.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 02:15:42 PM »
So is living at home, if within 40 miles.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 03:10:03 PM »

Students may apply for an exemption to the policy. Following a review, exemptions may be granted if a student plans to commute from the home of a parent/guardian or close relative who lives within 40 miles of the Manhattan campus

Nice!