Author Topic: Chess Heads  (Read 1768 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Chess Heads
« on: May 11, 2021, 07:17:04 AM »
I’ve been getting pretty into chess lately.  Play quite a bit on chess.com and have been following a little bit of the professional stuff too.

Any other goEMAW’rs play? 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Chess Heads
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 08:41:22 AM »
lil sd and I play “no stress chess” which seems like a good way to entry a little kid to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:46:04 AM »
I’ve been getting pretty into chess lately.  Play quite a bit on chess.com and have been following a little bit of the professional stuff too.

Any other goEMAW’rs play?
My kids like to play. I know the rules of how to move the pieces around the board but I don't really understand any strategy beyond moving the pawn in front of my king 1 or 2 spaces so the queen and bishop can go move around. Usually, our games become bloody battles of attrition where one player uses a king and a rook to back the opposing king into submission on a lonely corner of the board.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:46:15 AM »
I lack the intellect to think enough steps ahead and keep all possibilities straight.  My genius is spontaneity, and I cannot be bound by consequences and probabilities.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:50:07 AM »
I got into it for like a week after watching the queen's gambit and then realized I had no clue what was going on and did not have the desire to learn.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 08:55:24 AM »
I got into it for like a week after watching the queen's gambit and then realized I had no clue what was going on and did not have the desire to learn.
Yeah that's what restarted my interest.  Played a little bit growing up but didn't really like know any theory or anything.  But over the last six months or so I've gotten a little obsessive with it.

Chess youtube/twitch is pretty great.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 08:57:19 AM »
got pretty into it earlier this year playing on the Chess.com app. was literally focusing on it every second of the day while playing 4-5 friends at a time. had to take a step back, very addicting.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 09:00:26 AM »
got pretty into it earlier this year playing on the Chess.com app. was literally focusing on it every second of the day while playing 4-5 friends at a time. had to take a step back, very addicting.
Yes.  Very easy to go into a wormhole.  What game types did you mostly play?  I got into 3/2 for the last month or so, but my rating there is absurdly bad.  I've found 10-15 minutes is my sweet spot.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 09:04:09 AM »
I lack the intellect to think enough steps ahead and keep all possibilities straight.  My genius is spontaneity, and I cannot be bound by consequences and probabilities.
This is exactly it.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 09:14:19 AM »
Yes.  Very easy to go into a wormhole.  What game types did you mostly play?  I got into 3/2 for the last month or so, but my rating there is absurdly bad.  I've found 10-15 minutes is my sweet spot.

nothing crazy, just 24 hr per move games but it would turn into a pretty quick back and forth if both players were on at the same time. played a handful of 5 minute games which is fun. don't think i ever did 3/2 i would definitely panic and be awful.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:07 AM »
In high school and college I played a bunch of games of computer chess but never against a human   :ohno:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 10:15:25 AM »
I used to be pretty good

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2021, 10:51:08 AM »
when i'm in a corporate big wig meeting at work, sometimes i'll throw out a chess move quote at the end of the meeting as a summary of what was discussed during the meeting, something like, "rook to bishop's corner ace" and just walk out of the room.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
 :lol:

I was pretty good when I was younger. Played in a few tournaments and placed. Then I got super into making out with chicks and kicking ass at sports, so I stopped. Fun game.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2021, 11:36:51 AM »

nothing crazy, just 24 hr per move games but it would turn into a pretty quick back and forth if both players were on at the same time. played a handful of 5 minute games which is fun. don't think i ever did 3/2 i would definitely panic and be awful.
3/2 is pretty wild.  I also think ELO is tougher there.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 11:43:35 AM »
when my family moved into a new home, maybe 6th grade, I played my older brother (by 3 years) for choice of rooms.  He was good, I was not.  beat him, got the room facing the lake and hung up my pawn forever.  I knew I could never top that.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 09:01:51 PM »
When I was a boy growing up in Voronezh, near the ruddy banks of the Voronezh River, we all played chess. Winner gets to eat. Loser starves. We had no idea then that everyone would starve, sooner or later. We were told in pamphlets that the fertile soil of our great country would provide for us all, if the Westerners would just stop interfering with our internal affairs. So, we played chess, and tilled the soil. Eventually, we buried our parents, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters, in that same soil. We were all buried there. Under the soil of Russia.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 08:35:14 AM »
when my family moved into a new home, maybe 6th grade, I played my older brother (by 3 years) for choice of rooms.  He was good, I was not.  beat him, got the room facing the lake and hung up my pawn forever.  I knew I could never top that.

When I was a boy growing up in Voronezh, near the ruddy banks of the Voronezh River, we all played chess. Winner gets to eat. Loser starves. We had no idea then that everyone would starve, sooner or later. We were told in pamphlets that the fertile soil of our great country would provide for us all, if the Westerners would just stop interfering with our internal affairs. So, we played chess, and tilled the soil. Eventually, we buried our parents, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters, in that same soil. We were all buried there. Under the soil of Russia.
True or not, both stories are amazing.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2023, 09:12:49 AM »
got myself crazy addicted to chess over the last few weeks. trying to figure out how to learn openings is overwhelming though. i just go for the queens gambit and then when i'm black i wing it. probably should quit before i sink it way too much time into this. this is the kind of thing prob better when i'm old and have free time i'll try to see how good i can get. that and painting

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2023, 11:05:08 AM »
my my.  I didn't realize I've been playing for more than two years. I reached a high rating of about 1700 rapid, which I think is pretty decent!

got myself crazy addicted to chess over the last few weeks. trying to figure out how to learn openings is overwhelming though. i just go for the queens gambit and then when i'm black i wing it. probably should quit before i sink it way too much time into this. this is the kind of thing prob better when i'm old and have free time i'll try to see how good i can get. that and painting
Find a youtuber twitch streamer (ideally some kind of titled player) who uses an opening for white that you like.  i'm sure there's some queen's gambit player who does some kind of a rating climb that you can watch to give you some of the common themes. My guy is Alex Banzea.  I know Gothamchess (very popular chess youtube guy) has a bunch of ratings climbs with different openings.  If you're looking for a relatively simple black setup that you can play against anything, I'd recommend the King's Indian.  There's a bunch of ratings climbs using that.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2023, 11:27:15 AM »

The key is to be a genius AND a prodigy. That way you don't have to memorize a bunch of crap; you just intuitively get it. At least, that's what has worked for me.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2023, 06:01:58 PM »
my my.  I didn't realize I've been playing for more than two years. I reached a high rating of about 1700 rapid, which I think is pretty decent!

Find a youtuber twitch streamer (ideally some kind of titled player) who uses an opening for white that you like.  i'm sure there's some queen's gambit player who does some kind of a rating climb that you can watch to give you some of the common themes. My guy is Alex Banzea.  I know Gothamchess (very popular chess youtube guy) has a bunch of ratings climbs with different openings.  If you're looking for a relatively simple black setup that you can play against anything, I'd recommend the King's Indian.  There's a bunch of ratings climbs using that.

Nice. I will check it out. For general enjoyment it must be good enough to figure out how to get to mid game vs most people right. Like I don’t mind losing mid or late game. But when someone tricks me early on, I GET SO ANGRY!!!!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2023, 08:08:23 PM »

Nice. I will check it out. For general enjoyment it must be good enough to figure out how to get to mid game vs most people right. Like I don’t mind losing mid or late game. But when someone tricks me early on, I GET SO ANGRY!!!!
Yeah playing the King’s Indian as black is basically premoving the first 4-5 moves.  You get into a setup and try to exploit weaknesses in the mid game. 

Anything is going to have a bunch of dovetails and theory associated with it, but if you’re tired of games where you’re down a piece in the first 5 or 10 moves (and want something you can play against anything), I’d recommend KID for black.

Here’s Alex Banzea’s first vid in his KID climb. https://youtu.be/S2qjeRglkn0

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2023, 08:59:56 PM »
When I was younger and crazy I loved to play the Pelikán as black and King's Gambit as white.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2023, 05:15:30 AM »

THANKS DLEW