Author Topic: Golfers  (Read 5084 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Golfers
« on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
Where do you find good deals on clubs online / around the KC area?  I check eBay and Craigslist, and have found some decent clearance deals at Dick's every now and then.  Looking for a 2-3H.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Golfers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
Be careful on ebay.  You can get garbage knockoffs from china.  There is actually a place in wichita called The Gold Warehouse that has a good website TGW.com. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:58:55 PM »
i always thought Golf Stop had decent prices on used clubs.  i'm sure you've tried there though.  just stick with Craigslist/Ebay, you're bound to find some $35,000/year millionaire looking to unload his mizuno blades sooner or later.

brain fart- wtf is 2-3H?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
i always thought Golf Stop had decent prices on used clubs.  i'm sure you've tried there though.  just stick with Craigslist/Ebay, you're bound to find some $35,000/year millionaire looking to unload his mizuno blades sooner or later.

brain fart- wtf is 2-3H?

2 or 3 hybrid.  I'm gonna try a 17-19 degree hybrid instead of my 5W, which I'm hitting horribly.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »
Where do you find good deals on clubs online / around the KC area?  I check eBay and Craigslist, and have found some decent clearance deals at Dick's every now and then.  Looking for a 2-3H.

You might try Golfsmith that is across the street from The Golf Stop in the old Circuit space.  I know they have used sets but don't know if they sell individual used clubs.  I think there is also a Pay it Again Sports next to the Staples on 135th & Metcalf.  

Piss - I think the 2-3H is a 2 or 3 Hybrid.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »

You might try Golfsmith that is across the street from The Golf Stop in the old Circuit space.  I know they have used sets but don't know if they sell individual used clubs.  I think there is also a Pay it Again Sports next to the Staples on 135th & Metcalf.  

Piss - I think the 2-3H is a 2 or 3 Hybrid.

Yeah, I've stopped by Golfsmith a couple of times.  They do have some used clubs, but their prices on used clubs seemed to be about what I could get the club for new when it's on sale at Dick's.  I should go out and check that Play It Again Sports, too.

I'm checking out tgw.com right now.  Seem to have some decent prices.

The great thing about Dick's is their clearance clubs.  You can get a pretty good new club from a couple of years ago for lower prices than I can usually find anywhere else.  Problem is, there are usually only ~10-15 clubs they're clearing out, so it's real hit or miss as to whether I'll find what I'm looking for.

Offline KSUBrian

• Combo-Fan
  • Weird Robert is #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 07:25:59 PM »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:29 PM »
I've bought a ton of stuff at rockbottomgolf.com.  Really good deals.  

And I can't hit a hybrid at all, so I stick with irons.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 08:51:23 PM »
Drive around Overland Park/Olathe/Leawood on Saturday/SUnday nights until you find an SUV with the doors unlocked. 

I've had two friends leave clubs in their cars and had them stolen right in front of their house.  IT WORKS!
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Online Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »
Be careful on ebay.  You can get garbage knockoffs from china.  There is actually a place in wichita called The Gold Warehouse that has a good website TGW.com. 

I bought a complete set w/ driver at pinemeadowgolf.com when I was just out of school.  Supposed to be knockoffs of Taylor Made woods and irons.  Worked okay the first year, and then lost their mojo.  Or maybe I just went back to sucking. 

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 10:06:45 AM »
Golfers in Kansas City:  What are some of the best public courses in terms of value around Kansas City?

Offline hillwalking03

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • Worst Non-KSU grad school KU poster on goEMAW.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »
Message Board Samurai

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
Golfers in Kansas City:  What are some of the best public courses in terms of value around Kansas City?

You can play Painted Hills for $26 and Sunflower Hills in KCK for ~$30 weekends on Golfnow.  Sunflower Hills is super long and can wear you down.  Painted Hills is shorter, and par 70, but better condition than Sunflower.

Golfnow is really a good way to get some value.  Sometimes you can get on Tomahawk or Heritage Park in the $30s.  Earlier this season, you could get on Falcon Lakes (nice links style course close to Lansing) for ~$30, but it seems they've raised it by $10 now that we're getting into peak season.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 01:44:11 PM »
Golf Ball Paul

On SW Blvd.  Had some pretty good deals on used when I last bought about 3 yrs ago. 

stunz

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 01:54:45 AM »
had a golf dream last night.  10th hole at stagg hill.  used a driver, and obviously hit it into the trees before the bend.  hit a provisional.  can't find my original ball, so i play the provisional.  then find out the provisional ball wasn't mine, so i had to run back to the tee-box and hit another ball.

:dunno:

Offline fatty fat fat

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 02:05:37 AM »
Rich white males would rather play tennis.

It's true.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »
slimz.  today's KC Groupon is 18 holes at Deer Creek for $27 w/ cart.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
slimz.  today's KC Groupon is 18 holes at Deer Creek for $27 w/ cart.

shazbot!.  Missed it.   :frown:

Played Falcon Ridge for the first time last Saturday for $28.  GPS in the carts...links-style layout   :love:

had a golf dream last night.  10th hole at stagg hill.  used a driver, and obviously hit it into the trees before the bend.  hit a provisional.  can't find my original ball, so i play the provisional.  then find out the provisional ball wasn't mine, so i had to run back to the tee-box and hit another ball.

:dunno:

Stagg sucks so hard for what they charge.  Need my banking friend to take me to play Manhattan CC sometime.  Heard it's pretty nice.  Need to play Colbert, too.  _FAN and I are meeting up next week at Lake Shawnee.

Anyway, here's my report from club hunting:

*  Golf Ball Paul's:  not much.  A few older clubs, bunch of used wedges, nothing I needed.  There's some custom clubmaker in there with him.

*  Golf Stop on 119th didn't have much in the way of used.  The one out on 135th had a lot more, and almost had what I was looking for...just not the right flex, unfortunately.  Used prices seemed pretty good...about what you'll pay on eBay after shipping most of the time.

*  Golfsmith also had some "almost" used options.  Interesting range of prices...some seemed pretty affordable for what they were, some seemed pretty expensive.

Wound up getting a Nickent 4DX IW 2H and 3H on eBay.  Both new, 2H was $50 w/shipping and arrived today.  3H was $30 w/shipping and is on the way. 

Also got some Nickent 3DX hybrid irons to try out, for $40.  Figure if they don't work out, I'm not out much money, but they'll give me an opportunity to try some game-improvement irons.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »
Also, when is someone going to organize the 1st Annual goEMAW Doc Sadler Memorial Golf Tourney?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »
Falcon Ridge is my favorite "new style" course in KC, Swope is my favorite old balls course.

The huge fairways make it easier on someone like myself who loves to swing away off the tee box.

810 radio had their first golf tournament there back around 2001.
Steven St John, Jason Whitlock and I were doing shots of tequila at one hole while strippers were racing around the tee box naked.  I think I bet the girls that the first one to circle the tee box 5 times and then do 20 jumping jacks while naked would win $20.  It was quite an afternoon.

Offline Kermit

• Fan
  • "Wanna Guess Where My Thumb Has Been"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
Check out tgw.com.  They always have great deals on clubs, clothes and accessories.  Right now, there is a very good deal on G5's from Ping.

The warehouse is in Wichita so you usually receive your order within 2 business days (if you live in Kansas).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 01:04:14 PM »
Check out tgw.com.  They always have great deals on clubs, clothes and accessories.  Right now, there is a very good deal on G5's from Ping.

The warehouse is in Wichita so you usually receive your order within 2 business days (if you live in Kansas).

:surprised:

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »
be careful golfing during basketball games against your rivals.  you may miss something big. 

:babywillie: