Author Topic: Brainstorming thread on what to do for Brady  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Brainstorming thread on what to do for Brady
« on: December 05, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »
Especially if you were with him as he was going through it this past year or know what his family is already doing or needs, but also anyone who has something in mind, post any ideas here.

I'd have to be educated on what the roadblocks to date have been, but I was thinking that maybe gE takes up his cause of getting Gene and KSU to add wrestling and figures out what needs to be done aside from his steady PI and gets that accomplished.

https://twitter.com/search?q=(from%3Abradylikesbeer)%20(%40kstateadgt)&src=typed_query&f=live

Sic BSAC on this guy if warranted?

https://twitter.com/BradyLikesBeer/status/1328305101203787779

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Brainstorming thread on what to do for Brady
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 09:09:15 PM »
I don't have any suggestions to add other than my support for whatever is decided. If his family needs anything (and is open to assistance) for their memorial and other costs I'd be interested to know that as well.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 09:36:43 PM »
I'd do anything that his family needs. Let me know. Im gonna go full #heel and try to help with getting traction on this wrestling program idea.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »
I'd do anything that his family needs. Let me know. Im gonna go full #heel and try to help with getting traction on this wrestling program idea.

We need someone to tell us what it would actually take and then PI as needed within that overall plan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 09:49:03 PM »
yes, I'd love to know how actually feasible it is and then attack the barriers. our sister state schools (ISU, OSU) seem to love it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 01:21:52 PM »
I'm in.  barriers have to be 100% financial and maybe Title 9

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 04:00:23 PM »

I'm in.  barriers have to be 100% financial and maybe Title 9

Those barriers seem one in the same to me. I don’t think anyone anywhere is getting a school to add a non revenue generating male sport anytime soon.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:52:57 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2020, 04:07:09 PM »
And especially not anytime soon with Covid and the repercussions that will last a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
The wrestling thing @K-State should be a non starter, we don't even have facilities for that at K-State. If we wanted to go that route we should just work with one or both of the Iowa programs. We saw what the Iowa State program did in response to Havs' letter, it was sweet and very thoughtful of them. Iowa wrote him a letter but kept it private. Maybe a fundraiser to endow a scholarship for a wrestler at Seaman?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »
I saw he was at least once proposing that women’s wrestling be added too. :dunno:  It’s probably all pretty far-fetched but it’d be nice to exhaust the option since that was clearly a passion project. Even if it would realistically take a decade, we’ve shown we can stick with something that long.

I’ll read through all his tweets about it and see if he ever got any traction. It may be we just need to write to Gene and let him know he won’t hear from Brady anymore and why, but that we now need to know what the roadblocks are to know if there’s any prospect of getting past them.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
Completely different idea: get with boulevard or other beer types he worked with on developing a beer for him that would raise money to fight lymphoma.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2020, 06:03:22 PM »
I would be happy to go talk to the guys at manhattan brewing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
That's an amazing idea.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
I think we need EMAWmeister here to tell us exactly who Brady worked for and with that we’d connect with (and make sure they aren’t doing this) and to also tell us what gE could even contribute to such a thing.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2020, 07:45:23 PM »
I think we need EMAWmeister here to tell us exactly who Brady worked for and with that we’d connect with (and make sure they aren’t doing this) and to also tell us what gE could even contribute to such a thing.

Last I heard Boulevard was allowing employees to donate paycheck % to his cause and matching it. Boulevard also donates I believe 10% of the proceeds from KC Pilsner to a local charity. Perhaps that charity this year could do with local cancer research? I would love to do something with Boulevard.

WRT Manhattan Brewing co, they have a beer called “The Juicy” that Brady actually helped design the recipe for. One thing I think we could definitely do that would be cool is to get local Kansas/KC breweries to brew their own adapted versions of The Juicy, with proceeds going towards LLS research? The brewing community did a similar thing with Sierra Nevada for a beer for the California wildfires and the “Black Is Beautiful” project.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »
Great idea

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »
FWIW I would love to see K-State get a wrestling program, and it would be incredibly meaningful to his family, but for the reasons MIR laid out it’s just not feasible right now

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 08:34:02 PM »
Awesome. 

As to Boulevard, I'm guessing that's a matter of just letting someone there know what we'd like to be considered as to that KC Pilsner and why and maybe doing our best pitch for it to try to get it picked over others.  Can you see exactly who'd need to do what with who on all that?

On Manhattan Brewing and Juicy, is it that they'd take the lead on getting other brewers to get on board and then tell those brewers the basics of the beer but letting everyone put their own twist on it?  Or would it be our role to try to round up those brewers and connect them with Manhattan Brewing?

So maybe we could have some small role in either or both of those that would be realistic to achieve soon, and simultaneously be persistent at the wrestling thing over a very long term.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »
Awesome. 

As to Boulevard, I'm guessing that's a matter of just letting someone there know what we'd like to be considered as to that KC Pilsner and why and maybe doing our best pitch for it to try to get it picked over others.  Can you see exactly who'd need to do what with who on all that?

On Manhattan Brewing and Juicy, is it that they'd take the lead on getting other brewers to get on board and then tell those brewers the basics of the beer but letting everyone put their own twist on it?  Or would it be our role to try to round up those brewers and connect them with Manhattan Brewing?

So maybe we could have some small role in either or both of those that would be realistic to achieve soon, and simultaneously be persistent at the wrestling thing over a very long term.

Just send the recipe and let the Brewers scale it to their brewing system.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
Alright KK, go talk to manhattan brewing and see if they're up for that or some version of it or something else that we could help with.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 05:25:14 PM »
Update:

I spoke to Manhattan Brewing. They have already raised a few thousand dollars and is going to be donating that either to Brady's family or the lymphoma research.  They are still kicking around exactly what they want to do for Brady, but as of now are planning on brewing the Juicy recipe for Brady's birthday (Jan. 23rd). Either the brew day or the pour day would be on Brady's birthday.  This is a for sure thing that they want to do.

I brought up the idea of distributing the beer for tap at bars or having other breweries do some version and was told that the owners need to discuss first. They have my contact info and will get back in touch with me.  I will update as I hear more.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 05:41:05 PM »
:thumbs:

Still not sure how we can contribute to any of that. Maybe at the next FattyFest, we buy and drink LOADS of the beer?  :dunno:

Any other ideas from anyone of what we can do using our collective gE skillset that would take less than a decade?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 05:56:10 PM »
I will volunteer to drink an obscene amount of it

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2020, 06:09:43 PM »
:thumbs:

Still not sure how we can contribute to any of that. Maybe at the next FattyFest, we buy and drink LOADS of the beer?  :dunno:

Any other ideas from anyone of what we can do using our collective gE skillset that would take less than a decade?

Yeah, I think at this point they don't really distribute it. But I think we could discuss that perhaps especially if we were able to buy them out on a run (which would be pretty easy I think).

I think in the interim if people are in the area, if they could try to plan ahead for Brady's birthday and mark that down that would be a good time to try and get together (with all the usual caveats in these times).

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2020, 06:44:01 PM »
Yeah, I think at this point they don't really distribute it. But I think we could discuss that perhaps especially if we were able to buy them out on a run (which would be pretty easy I think).

So maybe, especially when we know we'd naturally be buying a lot ourselves, we guarantee a certain amount of sales we're comfortable covering and do our stellar promotional work to get bars, retailers and regular people to be buying it too.