Author Topic: Virtual Events  (Read 1276 times)

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Virtual Events
« on: December 01, 2020, 01:33:15 PM »
Anybody hit any of these that were worthwhile?  I watched a livestream for the podcast How Did This Get Made last month that was pretty good.

This month I am considering some more of those podcast streams, a VEEP reading, an NYE Avett Brothers concert, a Hold Steady concert and a Mike Birbiglia show. Seems like a lot though and probably needs to be cut down.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Events
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
Are they free? I can't imagine they are.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 01:59:24 PM »
Are they free?

All of mine cost but there are some free ones

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 02:00:34 PM »
Are they free?

All of mine cost but there are some free ones

What's the medium for them?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 02:15:44 PM »
I've attended multiple virtual conferences this year.  Most were good for getting the info out that they wanted to share but all were terrible in peer interaction.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 02:32:47 PM »
in pretty much all cases they're no better than a recording to me. won't bother, there's enough free recorded stuff available.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 03:24:21 PM »
in pretty much all cases they're no better than a recording to me. won't bother, there's enough free recorded stuff available.

The HDTGM live podcast didn't add much from the free podcast.  It did feel like I was part of a larger group enjoying something live which was kinda nice this year.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
Not sure if it fits what you're going for here, but I've been hosting virtual lunch and learns for dental students at several Universities. We deliver the food to them and I present via zoom. They spread out in a large lecture hall. It's been pretty crazy. @stevedave I feel like i'm "Up In the air'ing" myself out of work traveling ever again, by doing these bad boys.  :ohno:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 02:41:57 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 02:34:47 PM »
I honestly really enjoyed doing a virtual wine tasting that the somm Christina from Harry's offered a few times.  She is knowledgeable and is a great story teller and wears costumes and makes it fun.  I would for sure do another one and have been meaning to reach out.  The cost on it was very reasonable as I think the wine was practically at cost and then she only charged like $25 for her time.

It was also fun as the other people were on the Zoom and we joked and talked a bit toward the end as we got a little tipsy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 02:56:14 PM »
I honestly really enjoyed doing a virtual wine tasting that the somm Christina from Harry's offered a few times.  She is knowledgeable and is a great story teller and wears costumes and makes it fun.  I would for sure do another one and have been meaning to reach out.  The cost on it was very reasonable as I think the wine was practically at cost and then she only charged like $25 for her time.

It was also fun as the other people were on the Zoom and we joked and talked a bit toward the end as we got a little tipsy.

oh yeah some friends have done cocktail making classes and a whiskey tasting class that they said were probably more fun than if they'd been in person.